Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 07:04:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update on my long heater hose situation - PDF file added to thread  (Read 975 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: April 25, 2009, 09:11:25 PM »

I still haven't found a good solution for replacing my long heater hose.  I haven't even pulled the old hose yet because I don't relish the thought of coolant spraying everywhere.  Engineers never consider future replacement when they design things.

I can get 1.5" copper pipe at Menards, but I studied the situation for a while and decided there is no way I could possibly reach in to solder the joints.  1.5" copper tubing is available, but requires a bender to make bends.

I think my best bet is ordering the silicone hose from McMaster-Carr.  The current hose is already double clamped with constant-torque hose clamps.  There are supports for this hose which is good considering the size and length.  I guess I have to get the old hose removed to get a length for a new one.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 09:25:19 AM by belfert » Logged

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 10:32:47 PM »

Brian,

Now I ain't there and I can't "SEE" your delemma.  Copper tube is my choice, in all ignorance, and if you can see the joint you can solder it.  I know you are talented beyond the average Bear.  A plumbing shop will do the bends for a modest fee but I would buy the bender...can't help myself.  Matters not if O never use it again.....I got it!

On the other hand, "you ain't nobody's fool".

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 04:23:03 AM »

You never did post a pic of the hose in situ.  I did not realize it was a complicated run.  Is it not possible to assemble the run using copper fittings etc  and then put it in the bus?  I'm thinking anything that needs to be sweated into position is going to bug you in the future during future possible repairs.  In my minds eye it was more of a straight run with a couple of 90s at each end. 

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 05:23:43 AM »

Brian,
but I would buy the bender...can't help myself.  Matters not if I never use it again.....I got it!
John

John,
    Glad to see this.  I thought I was the only one that thought that way!!   Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 07:41:46 AM »

I'll try to take some pictures of the area, but it may not be today due to rain.  RickB is supposed to come look at it sometime this week.  He has some recent experience with coolant hoses redoing his MCI cooling system.  I also have a mechanic friend coming over to look at this problem and to help diagnose some oil leaks.

I'm not in a huge hurry to fix this other than I do need to get the windshield replaced once C&J gets it in from MCI.  I'm sure I could fix the hose temporarily and refill the coolant and it would be fine for a while.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 09:21:19 AM »

Here is a PDf showing at least part of the hose in question.  No pictures yet since it is pouring rain outside.

The hose in question is the big one over the end of the tranny.  The driver's side wraps all the way around to the oil cooler, and the passenger side ends up down near the level of the frame rails.  (Yes, Dinas have frame rails at the rear only.)

I am half tempted to just run new hose or copper to the defroster up front and rip everything else out since the passenger heat is long gone.  The PDF shows how complicated the heating sytem is.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 09:24:54 AM by belfert » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: