Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 12:25:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MCI aux fuel tank  (Read 3168 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 05:10:52 AM »

I must admit I ran out of fuel a mile after filling up in Nebraska once. I had a full tank of fuel and lost prime. Cost almost $400 to get roadside service to reprime. My roadside insurance covered it though.

Needless to say two things have happened as a result of this:

1. I learned how to reprime the system myself and I never let the fuel get below 1/4 tank.

2. My wife has retold this story to all my friends and relatives and strangers at RV parks and co-workers and neighbors, in-laws and.....etc.

Between that and the nickname "lo-speed" given to me by some close friends in honor of my assumption that I had an Allison 740 when I really have a 2nd gear start 754 (there is another "phantom" gear past 1rst on the shifter) it's kinda tough on the bus ego sometimes.

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
ilyafish

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 07:45:02 AM »

My fuel sending unit was bad, so last month i purchased a new one.  I installed the new one, and thought it wasnt working, but told myself it was.  I dropped a shoestring with a bolt tied to it to check the level, and somehow convinced myself that since the guage was reading 1/2, that there was a 1/2 a tank.  Well, the hill 15 miles away reasurred me that the guage was not working!  Luckily, my friends house who was coming with us on that tour was within 5 minutes walking distance, so he walked to his house, got his car, drove to the truckstop a few miles away, and 10 gallons of diesel was enough to get us going to the truckstop.

However, I cant really say lesson learned.  This rule I tend to violate quite a bit, and I tend to not keep more than about 10 gallons of fuel in my tank.  Dont really have a use for it besides to start up and shut off.  (That incident i didnt have any WVO in my tanks).

Own: 1981 MCI MC9 w/
Veggie Oil Conversion
Live:  Flemington, NJ

1 Corinthians 9:19-22
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 07:54:08 AM »

the more empty space inside your fuel tank, the more air volume that breathes in and out by way of expansion and contraction with the heat of the day, the more humidity that gets inside there and you get condensation on the inside walls, which is water, which then runs to the bottom of your fuel tank.

The air in your fuel tank does NOT just stay there, it breathes.

Keep the tanks filled when you are storing the coach in order to defend against water in your fuel.

Water won't run the engine, and depending on the materials in your fuel system, water helps things rust.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 08:17:56 AM »

;DI just made a deal with Christi, She is in charge of the 1/4 tank alarm system. When ever "I" let the fuel gauge get down to and or below a 1/4, She will start the voical alarm system and starts repeating all the facts from this thread & remind me of all the times "I" ran out of fuel in the SUV, Truck, car, Atv, genny, lawnmower...........I don't think this will work, "I" know it will! All the Best, M&C

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 08:24:57 PM »

;DI just made a deal with Christi, She is in charge of the 1/4 tank alarm system. When ever "I" let the fuel gauge get down to and or below a 1/4, She will start the voical alarm system and starts repeating all the facts from this thread & remind me of all the times "I" ran out of fuel in the SUV, Truck, car, Atv, genny, lawnmower...........I don't think this will work, "I" know it will! All the Best, M&C

In other words, your alarm sounds like this... "Nag Nag Nag Nag Nag Nag Nag Nag Nag!"

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 08:31:07 PM »

Grin Yes, but with a higher pitch. LOL Shocked M&C

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 08:40:39 PM »

Grin Yes, but with a higher pitch. LOL Shocked M&C
Oh, more like this... "Nag Nag Nag Nag Nag Nag Nag Nag Nag"

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 08:47:41 PM »

Tongue Thats it  Tongue LOL M&C

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 08:51:35 PM »

I don't know, Jack.  It's in the original position of the aux tank and the switch on the eyebrow panel is labeled transfer pump.  It's full now, so I'll have to dip the tank after I have used some fuel, and then run the pump and see what's happening.
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: