Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 05:17:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help for newbie considering first conversion purchase.  (Read 3469 times)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 12:40:01 PM »

Lee,

Welcome aboard!!! So far all has been good advice. As has been said already, always have a good engine pro go over the engine, and a good bus mechanic (might be the same guy) go over the whole bus.

Also, just because you haven't turned a wrench yet, doesn't mean you can't start. I am sure that there are some here that have learned as they go (we all have to some extent). Some of the guys on here are computer geeks, and not mechanics, but they have gotten along (maybe not as well as others, but so what Grin Grin Grin).

Keep us updated.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
gmpd4104

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 02:08:47 PM »

PLEASE show me where there are professionally converted Prevost with less than 150k on them for 50,000.00
John316

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 02:13:25 PM »

PLEASE show me where there are professionally converted Prevost with less than 150k on them for 50,000.00

Lee,

Don't worry about gmpd4104. I am not sure whether there is a bus out there, like you want, for under 50K, but I probably is out there. Gmpd4104 usually doesn't look on the bright side of things, so don't worry about him Wink Grin.

God bless,

John

niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 02:20:52 PM »

"PLEASE show me where there are professionally converted Prevost with less than 150k on them for 50,000.00"

Please DON'T - I would prefer to think it's not yet that bad - But I'm probably in denial - FWIW last week a 2000 Marathon 40' XL w/ 115k, cherry (and I mean cherry) went for $178k - I almost kept it going if not for a friend holding my arms down - The bright side is when hyper inflation takes hold, when a loaf of bread is $20, your bus may be worth what you've got in it  Roll Eyes

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
gmpd4104

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 02:53:05 PM »

Hi John,

I see the bright side... but I have never seen a professional Converted Prevost for 50k   WITH 150K

seems to me most people who could afford a Newer professional conversion pre ecomomy slowdown......are not worried about it and certainly are not having a fire sale.  I have seen some extrememly good values in coaches with 150k type mileage.....in comparison to the 500,000.00 + new price tag  but much more in line with 125k North price tags.  I even went to look at a Prevost that was priced at 90k....was clean, had about the mileage you stated......but had all sorts of systems gremlins...thus the sale.

There are very good values out there, Alot of them, but don't mislead new people with unrealistic figures.
John316

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 02:58:37 PM »

gmpd

Thanks for the post, I am glad that you do see things on the bright side Grin Lips Sealed Grin.

God bless,

John

DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 05:21:16 PM »

So along these lines of thinking (lower prices) would you all out there say that people selling their coaches are listing them for less, or listing them at normal prices and taking less? Or is it really such a buyers market that they are listing for less and taking even less?
kd5kfl

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 05:32:37 PM »

My choice, based on my opinions and my needs:

Thomas MVP Diesel Pusher

What that is: A schoolbus oriented towards toting around athletes.
6'8" down the middle. Usually a pampered bus, low mileage.
Probably sold because it is X years old and state law requires it.

Transit buses are not made for long haul. Geared wrong, no ground clearance.

ICs - Intercity Coaches - were flogged into the ground by Greyhound, which has its own maintenance staff. Then beat further by charter operators, who have maintenance done by independent shops run by mechanics who don't work for Greyhound. Sold because the cost of maintaining it is no longer profitable. sold to - somebody else, not me.

School buses are made to transport kids in rural America. Significant ground clearance. Maintained by people who have a job they plan on keeping and kids in school.

1992 Thomas MVP Saf-T-Liner - 78 passengers
5.9BTA Cummins
Automatic transmission - AT545
AIR BRAKES
Wouldn't this make a GREAT church bus?  Or conversion?
SUPER NICE - no rust
TINTED GLASS
Just 131K actual miles
In Virginia NOW
$5500*

Characteristic signature of the MVP: Individual windshield panes are taller than they are wide.

This gent has a sterling reputation, and usually has MVPs in stock:

http://www.floridachurchbus.com/
Dallas

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 05:57:58 PM »

You may want to check with Arctic fox on this board. Recently he had something that might fit your needs.

PM him here: http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?action=profile;u=2201
bowmaga
Betty Owner 1

Super Betty

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 06:22:09 PM »

yes, welcome aboard....

I'd say you buy a bus for 30k and save the other 20k for repairs.  At an average 100 a week repair, you'll have a wonderful frustration for at least 3.5 years.  haha...We bought a bus for 6750, spent 8k on it in 8 months and had to part with it....and i can't wait to own another!!!  These busses are frustrating, annoying, and expensive...but are addicting.  They are like a kid, but worse.  I wish you good luck in your hunt.  Be sure to check it out...and ask other guys here if they are close to come look at it to.  But no matter what you get...it will take some sort of money to fix.....so don't spend all your money first off.  Use these guys on the board...they'll help.  When you're on the road...cruising...people are always somewhat jealous, no matter what the bus looks like.  It feels good to pedal her down the road......

super Betty lives on....

I bet you guys thought i was gone for good.....I'm still lurking in the shadows.....

Greg

Greg Bowman
1979 MCI MC9
John316

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 05:14:29 AM »

Greg,

Great to hear from you. I hope you are able to get another soon.

KD5, I have always wanted to mod a school bus up, and make it my off road bus....

God bless,

John

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: