Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 09:17:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very Old New Parts  (Read 1211 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2009, 08:17:36 PM »

I came across a guy with some very old parts.  He says they were new when he got them, but that was 20 years ago.  Since then, they have been in interior storage.  Do you think things like a radiator and Allison transmission would still be usable after that long?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 08:26:39 PM »

Lin,

Yes!  Absolutely YES....maybe.  The tranny being dry all that time may have some stuck O rings.  I would replace the input and output seals and use it but I have no experience to back that up.  Maybe others have faced this.  On assy all tx parts are dipped in oil....would that prevent rust formation for 20 years....only "maybe" if it was not allowed to get very cold.  Was the storage heated?  You can have DD/Alison dyno test the tx for an authoritative no nonsense Yes/no.  Even before the seal change.

The radiator is PERFECT!  Maybe!  depends if it started perfect.  There isn't anything inside that will rust.

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
quantum500

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 09:27:11 PM »

Remember it does not rust every where.  Out west in our arid climate things can be stored indefinitely with out rust.  I would be more worried about furry friends and insects causing problems than rust.  Mouse nest in the radiator and plugged oil lines could be bad.  Sometimes time itself is worse than any wear and tear could be.  Check them out good.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 09:45:46 AM »

About what does it cost to dyno test a transmission?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 08:21:07 PM »

Used radiators tend to corrode badly when left dry. When filled with anti-freeze mix they seem to last forever.

I won't buy one that has been left dry.

If new they will last forever.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 11:32:10 PM »

I have installed many rads in my time on Planet Earth.  None ever came "wet".  Not trying to start a fight, now.  Anybody else ever get one delivered wet?

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 05:26:35 AM »

I have installed many rads in my time on Planet Earth.  None ever came "wet".  Not trying to start a fight, now.  Anybody else ever get one delivered wet?

John

Me thinks the key word was used.
Antifreeze has stuff in it that is sacrificed to combat the nasties that occur while in use. If simply drained & allowed to dry, the nasties can continue to corrode the metal.
When removing a used radiator for storage, I was taught to wash it inside & out.

The original post was talking about 'claimed' new old stock, so the potential buyer should examine/ test the radiator before purchase.

Definitions can be different for different people. . . .
Some will call a part 'new' when they sell it because they only used it for 3 months .
A used car salesman may use words like 'mild oxidation' to describe what I'd call rust holes . . . .

YMMV

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: