Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 12:18:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: winegard vs King-Dome or other OTR satelite  (Read 4636 times)
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2009, 09:35:05 AM »

Other than price the Winegard RoadTrip 12.5" Low Profile In-Motion Satellite Antennas ads seem that it is the same as any other in motion type satelite dish. I did a search on this forum and havent seen this discussed before. I was wondering what everyone is using and what they like or dont like and how much the systems are.

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Busnut83

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 01:20:26 PM »

Installed Wineguard 3 yr ago,,, no problems while in tx,la,ms....  great addition especially the music..
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 01:31:33 PM »

After installing the Winegard you just subscribe to either Dish Network right? And then you get all the TV channels when you are driving and not just when parked right? What do you mean by the music? Can I use my regular reciever or do I need to have a special reciever? Thanks!

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Eagle78550
Above All... Eagle

93 Eagle 15-45

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 01:39:42 PM »

I have the Ray Sat low pro 1000 ....only 5" high ...better than the boob on the roof ....I am waiting for the Ray Sat 3000 to come out with dish network and in motion internet all in one ...should be out late this summer ...then I will trade up and eliminate the modem and card set up for internet ....check it out
Busnut83

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 01:45:51 PM »

I have Direct tv,,,  There are channels that play music....  I can listen to the ound through either the surround or just the tv.....
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 02:01:41 PM »

I checked out the RaySat 3000 and yes, it seems cool because it's nice to have BOTH TV and Internet for the passengers while on the road without the use of internet cards and stuff all coming from the same unit. But for the price of $3500 and another 200 to 500 installed.. I'm afraid it will be awhile before it comes down into my price range. If I dont hear neg stuff here about this I will probably go with the $1200 Winegard and use my cell phone tethered to my laptop for internet while on the road. I wonder what the power usage difference is to using the RaySat opposed to keeping my cell phone plugged in to charge and using the Winegard at the same time....

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 02:27:15 PM »

We have a KVH Tracvision in motion with Directv, and a Winegard Sensar Batwing with Wingman for local channels. They both have worked well for us. With the upcoming digital transition we get lots of local channels now in Abilene Tx. My wife's happy so I'm really happy! Grin

~Paul~

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 07:34:24 PM »

Hi Happy,
We have the Winegard Movin View and are extremely happy with it. We subscribe to Dish. BTW Dish also has a lot of music channels. I have the tv, recvr, dvd, and satellite all wired through the inverter. The main drawback is the satellite height. I constantly worry about ripping it off. I removed the batwing and the highgain that was up there when I installed the sat because we never seem to find ourselves in an area with local TV reception. Satellite dishes are really simple to install if you read the instructions first and take your time. I have lots of pictures if your interested.
Good luck, Will

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 03:54:25 AM »

Hi Happy,

I have the KVH A-7 in motion,  with 4 flat screens and 4 recievers on Direct TV w/HD on the front tv.

This PDF says it all.
http://www.kvh.com/pdf/DS_A7_CaseStudy_Arrow.pdf

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 09:10:40 AM »

I am curious as to how tall the Winegard Move In Satelite is? This new one is 12.5" tall which is dooable for my bus, though of course I preferre the 5" KVH. But again, the KVH is 2x as much cost as the Winegard Low Profile one I posted about. My roof AC is about the same height as the Low Profile Winegard, so all things considered, for me anyway, it "seems" the new Winegard is the way to go right now.

PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 10:26:53 AM »

Hi HappyCB,
The MovinView is 32" diameter, weighs 28# and stands a whopping 15 3/4" tall. It's a really big booby up there. If it ever gives me problems, I will definitely go with something different. I don't have any rooftop airs so the only other obstructions are a kitchen vent cover and a powered roof fan in the bedroom. I like going places that I shouldn't and height is usually the limiting factor. Even pulling into fuel stations can be a challenge on the backroads. Fortunately I can fuel from either side LOL. I do have a question for you, is it really necessary to have TV while moving? The last time this subject came up, most of the people that went with the motion satellites claimed it was a waste of extra money. Just curious because even though my wife likes her TV, she would never consider watching TV when there is scenery going by the windows-she loves being the co-pilot way too much for that. Grin
Good luck, Will

happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 12:05:26 PM »

Yes, for me, having moving satelite and internet is important because of my daughter. She is 18 but she is disabled and just isnt into scenery but is totally into this other stuff. And if she is happy and content while I am driving, then I drive more peacefully and safely with less stops.

crown

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 05:13:57 PM »

hi does anyone known any thing about the kvh track vision A 5 this is the thin one they sell
  for suv s would it work good on a bus ? thanks john

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 10:48:20 PM »

Crown, I have a KVH 5 low profile unit that I plan on pulling off my coach..   Not a directv fan..
What info do you need?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: