Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 11:37:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recapped tires  (Read 3312 times)
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 10:50:43 AM »

I run recap on my drive ... never on the steer's
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 07:17:55 PM »

My point exactly. If one does not run recaps on the steering axle due to laws or safety concerns or whatever other reason then why would anyone take the chance to save a few bucks and run them anywhere else on a bus? The drivers on a semi are somewhat wide open and the result of a blown cap will not do the damage that would happen on a bus rear. Granted the bus tire is not carrying the weight that the truck is and is not subject to the heat that  the truck tire would have. A truck will also cover more miles in a year than any of our busses will during the rest of it's life therefore caps may be more economical. It would be interesting to know what companies like Greyhound and such do concerning policies towards caps. But as far as I am concerned there will never be caps on my bus. It's just my opinion and I may only need to buy one set in my life anyways. So why would I want to replace a tire on my bus that has great tread but wheathered carcasses for a recap that has a used carcass already and about the same tread? Makes no sense. Later

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
busnut104

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 07:37:58 PM »

One thing that I do remember when the cold cap first can out it was said that the cap wore better then a new virgin tire. I do not know if there is any truth in that or not. I know in the trucking, owner operator it comes down to expense.  With that being said there must be something to the cap, these fellows has to keep a tight handle on expensive s and be a pretty sharp business man or they are no longer in business. 
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: