Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 04:21:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Putting a boat in the water with bus  (Read 4831 times)
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 06:40:43 AM »

Some of the best people watching in the world is at a busy boat ramp Wink

That's absolutely true; my parents have a place not far from one of the public launching slipways on Lake Windermere, and I always used to make a point of taking the dogs for a walk down there around 4pm on a sunday - great entertainment to be had watching big headed people with big ski-boats and big 4x4s make complete fools of themselves. Needless to say that the ones who knew what they were doing were usually the people with sailing boats, normal-sized cars and an understanding of how ropes and gravity worked

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 06:44:20 AM »

Cliff,

Too many people on one side of the boat will tip it over?   Wink

We'll share a few and giggle!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 07:52:20 AM »

Going over a steep pass when in motion is a whole lot different then trying to start on a steep launching ramp.  And with the drought in many areas, the ramp maybe entirely too long to do the winch idea.  Most ramps I've seen are of the 20% grade or more. Try this-without the boat-find a steep ramp and with the bus only-try to start on it.  Personally I wouldn't even try with a 4 or 5 spd manual transmission.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 08:38:55 AM »

Public boat ramps usually have a slope of 8/1 to 6/1 (12 to 16%) - FYI ADA allows wheelchair ramps to have a 12/1 slope (8%) -  And yes I know there are a ton of ramps that have greater slopes, and my advice is DON'T use them - Also don't attempt to launch if traction is poor, you have a 6v53 powering your 45 foot Eagle, 1st gear is so tall that it's your passing gear, your clutch slips as if Andy Granitelli had just STP'd it, your incapapable of negotiating backing maneuvers, your brakes are not adjusted properly, your air system is flatulent, your mad at your spouse, or you forgot to put the plug in your boat Roll Eyes

BW - Do you want my complete list of things that can tip a boat over Tongue

Just a little levity here

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Garymci5

'67 MCI 5a; "Widebody"

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 09:38:59 AM »

My first thought in this thread was that if you can back a little boat behind a bus, you are a better man than me to begin with.  Chances are, you can't even see the boat in the mirrors.

That's a good point and didn't think about that one. In this case it should be alright as the boat is about the same width as the bus (it's a catamaran; NOT a HobieCat ;-). This should help with the width issue. I consider myself quite good at backing things up, at times backing up a coach with a toad car, while combating the revers caster effect of the car' suspension. Okay, maybe that one put me in my place!

If needed the boat can be rolled into the water using a pulley system from the bus. Ultimately I'm not quite willing to get stuck on a boat ramp-- or worse-- to find out the hard way. The easy way is for the wife to follow us to Waldo Lake (OR) and use the Ridgeline for boat service, as done so many times before. Trying to avoid this if possible.....

Cheers,
Gary

Buy your oil at true wholesale prices!:
http://www.synthetic-motor-oilsite.com/1688537
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 06:55:27 PM »

I saw a video once of an RV, on a boat ramp, launching a boat.  As the man was unhooking the boat, the RV slipped out of gear.  It was really funny watching the diver and the tow truck pull the RV, out of the water.

As it has been said, if you try this, please shoot video.

Bill
In Beaufort, SC

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 08:53:23 PM »

Niles,

we're outnumbered,

best we retreat for a beverage?

water on the water, beer on the pier!!!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Garymci5

'67 MCI 5a; "Widebody"

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 10:18:34 PM »

I saw a video once of an RV, on a boat ramp, launching a boat.  As the man was unhooking the boat, the RV slipped out of gear.  It was really funny watching the diver and the tow truck pull the RV, out of the water.

As it has been said, if you try this, please shoot video.

Bill
In Beaufort, SC

To those that make this type of comment: (forget for a moment that it's not even remotely constructive, as a forum comment should be)

The supposed "vote" of confidence, in an earstwhile attempt to prompt someone towards potential disaster, while requesting it be filmed is less than altruistic. Especially when those that make the request desire only the chance to view someone else's demise and not success.

Tell you what: You First.

Cheers,
Gary

Garymci5

'67 MCI 5a; "Widebody"

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 10:31:01 PM »

Public boat ramps usually have a slope of 8/1 to 6/1 (12 to 16%) - FYI ADA allows wheelchair ramps to have a 12/1 slope (8%) -  And yes I know there are a ton of ramps that have greater slopes, and my advice is DON'T use them - Also don't attempt to launch if traction is poor, you have a 6v53 powering your 45 foot Eagle, 1st gear is so tall that it's your passing gear, your clutch slips as if Andy Granitelli had just STP'd it, your incapapable of negotiating backing maneuvers, your brakes are not adjusted properly, your air system is flatulent, your mad at your spouse, or you forgot to put the plug in your boat Roll Eyes

BW - Do you want my complete list of things that can tip a boat over Tongue

Just a little levity here

Point well taken and thanks for the tech specs, especially the hull plugs (my wife thankfully remembers every time!). I don't intend to put the bus in the drink, or anywhere too near, but certainly plan to put several in me while in it-- and safely parked, no less.

Had a 40' Eagle 05 with a DD318 and fully loaded could barely get going on a 6-8% grade w/o rubbing the clutch a bit raw. The MCI wouldn't be happy on a steep boat ramp in a primative location where cell phones don't work and the nearest help is 35+ miles away. But heck, the water isn't THAT deep....(humorous comment made; there is NO intention of actually doing it...you, yes, you [those reading this, not the "poster"], withhold thy comments!)  Grin

Cheers,
Gary

BG6

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2009, 07:22:01 AM »

This thread gives me an idea for what to do with my 4903 . . .if I can't sell it to someone for a motorhome conversion, maybe it would make a good AMPHIB . . .

Cheesy

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2009, 10:51:58 AM »

I have no experience launching boats.  However, I have had the experience of getting stuck halfway up a hill, pulling a tow dolly and car, when my 8v71 and Spicer could just not take the grade.  It was quite souring.  I even got rid of the tow dolly because of it.  Although, I think that having a lake behind me would have made it more exciting, I believe I will skip creating that situation.

I think there are several safe options: bring a car, set up an adequate winch and dolly contraption, pay someone to do it, etc.  How long a cable would you need on a winch to avoid crossing the event horizon?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2009, 12:00:31 PM »

Gary - I'm confident you'll make the right decision on how to do it, after all you did ask first - Glad you could appreciate my humor - good luck

BW - You and I don't need a particular reason to partake of beverages - But I like the way you think - I prefer to look at it as progress and not retreat - To paraphrase another poster - 'Onward and Drunkard'  Grin

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2009, 07:12:30 PM »

I'm trying to maintain appearances....

Gotta have an excuse to drink or we'll be labeled alc...hics.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: