Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 10:30:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1964 MCI Challenger Diesel 35' Bus Conversion  (Read 6957 times)
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 12:26:07 AM »

Gary - A most professional review - No politics at all - I can appreciate that - FWIW

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 05:15:21 AM »

JD, It sounds like you have your "pro" opinion. You still might want a good bus mechanic to look it over, but it sure sounds like Gary has it nailed.

Gary, I am very impressed. You did a very through job looking it over. Thank you!

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 09:04:05 PM »

JD,
I have an MC-5 #5401 that i purchased in Grants Pass, OR. Flew out, drove it back to Minnesota. The one you're considering looks pretty nice. A bargain at $6K I would still pull an oil sample and have a knowledgeable bus mechanic put it on the hoist or over the pit. A well intentioned owner could easily give bad information. If its solid mechanically, you've got a nice coach. If you're not afraid of spending money on it then take it. Torsion bushings, clutch, king pins, tie rod, tires, etc. Its amazing how much that stuff all costs even if you do the labor - which I do. Check for cracking where the engine mounting rails connect to the square vertical towers that the torsion arms hook to. Mine were cracked. The brakes are supposed to be adjusted every 5,000 miles so I'd have the inspecting mechanic adjust them before heading for the midwest.

Regarding the drive back; I recall four major mountain passes. Climb in 1st gear and coast down in second. Take your time and enjoy the scenery.

Call me if you want to chat 612-801-4826

Fred

Fred Thomson
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: