Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 09:26:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I looked over the Membership Roster today and.....  (Read 6324 times)
Dallas

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 08:40:54 AM »

Now that we are way off track I have a question.  As was mentioned earlier Jumbo Shrimp and Military Intelligence are mutually exclusive and are called Oxy-Morons.  Does anyone know the word that describes the opposite?  For example: Overly Redundant.  Overly redundant probably would be a good definition for this word.

To really confuse the issues,
the answer to your question is yes.

The word is PLEONASM

A good definition is available at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleonasm
Brill-o

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 08:58:13 AM »

Hello-

Sorry to change the topic back, but I can echo a couple of thoughts stated earlier, and I have my own reasons for keeping my postís limited-

First off Iím very bus challenged and totally in the dark on the repairs I need to do. I will post a query but refrain from asking anything other than whatís totally relevant to my task.

When I joined here I was skeptical.
It was a time before anyone stepped up with a response. That reinforced it.
The guys that did reply saved me from looking elsewhere for answers, and I decided to stay.

At that point I realized some (but few) have little interest in my project.
I decided to bite the bullet and try to keep those interested with updates of some sort.
I donít expect many repliesóand donít get them. Look at my view count on my posts. My project is worlds apart from the majority of issues posted. Nobody here (except 46Brillbus) has another like it. (But some have had a Brill.)

I would tire of posting with little or no replies and would eventually move on, but the enthusiasm shown by 3-4 buys here are enough to keep me feeling ďwantedĒ.

Letís face it, Iím the real minority here-

I have a 60-year old coachóprobably older than a few of the membersí here-
I would suspect some here would rather see me on an antiquesí board--but like the Cheshire cat--"I just grin and bear it".

At this point I rely exclusively on our memí 46Brillbus, as he has been a Godsend with help and info. It was only because of him that Iíve made it this far. I met him here, so that is more the reason to post updates here.

Oddly, I read 90% of everything posted. I skip the travel posts because they make jealous and wane to go on holiday (bus or no bus), as I havenít had one in several years.

And I skip some of the direct queries about certain coaches because I have zero ideas or input. Heck, sometimes I canít even figure out whatís being discussed. Many here are so used to the parts names or abbreviations, that they fire off the questions and blokes like me see it as all Greek.
That is to be expected from some membersí long board relationships-

Iíve also visited chat several times, and found no one home. Itís probably my timing. I will keep going back, though-

I donít appreciate cursing, or sex related topics on a bus info board. Those are just a click away if I felt so inclined (which I donít).

O/T posts donít bother me. Iíll read them if I have a care- and as Iíd said above, sometimes these can be the only things I can understand. That is the reason I read this thread. And Iím glad I did-

Iím not intimidated here or afraid to post.
On the other hand, I donít like to waste othersí (the majority here) time.

I have met a few wonderful people here and on chat and hope to strengthen my bonds with them as time goes along.

This is why I always thank all that have repliedóits only being polite- Something I was taught (beaten into submission) at an early age and practice openly and freely. Hopefully being an influence as well.

I plan to attend that Va. bash with my Famí that was mentioned on chat, and I have some interesting schemes as to what happens after (if) I get my Brill going.

And yes, Iím still searching for another old bus for a completely different refurbishing approach (I found a 41 (?) REO, but itís a bit much for me to spend with the Brill repairs pending at this time).

Itís bucketing down outside, so thatís why Iím posting now, and not working on the coach. I have the time.

Finally, and as a side note (O/T!) Iím past the half-century mark, thin and not muscle-boundóweak, actually and on medsí.
I have little income, as I do side jobs with whatís left of my construction equipment- from selling off the business to tend to my to daughters upbringing and catching up on bills.

I donít do nanny or babysitters for my girlsóitís the Wife, me, or nobody- (except the Wifeís mum).
This takes up the majority of my time. Also, itís few and far between that I have any help. I know one guy that will stop by on occasionóand thatís it.

Oh, and thank you for this thread, NcBob-

So now Iíve melted your minds with my diatribe..

Cheers..

Mind the Gap!
Merlin

Run away before the kids come back home.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006, 09:08:45 AM »

... curiosity to see if there were more BusNuts in my area than I'm aware of.†...
Bob
Is there a way to sort the members by state?† I'd like to do that to see if I can find elusive busnuts close to me.† But then maybe they don't want to be found.† †Wink

Egad Bob ... I just did a spell check on this note and it wants to respell your screen name as "Nabob" .... thought you would get a kick out of that.† Grin
Merlin
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 11:30:03 AM by Merlin » Logged

Bus conversion is DONE, and now the home for full-time travel.  Look for me parked in front of your house.
Merlin

Run away before the kids come back home.

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 09:37:37 AM »

... At that point I realized some (but few) have little interest in my project. ...
I read all of your posts about the Brill.  In my heart I would love to be working on a Brill or Flex Clipper, but my present (and final) bus is not finished. so all I can do is allow my desire to own a true classic live vicariously through you and other owners of classics.

When you get to that "puttin' stuff inside the bus phase", you may have plenty of us offer suggestions about unique designs and ideas.  Most buses are pretty much the same during that phase.  Little quirks here and there differ, but not drastically.

I'm at that fun part right now where things are finally looking like a partially livable bus.  Will happily share any of my design ideas.  One idea that I had but eventually toned down was to make the interior look reminiscent of the old "art-deco modern" zephyr trains.  The only reason I mention that is your Brill is a worthy shell for that type of interior.  What say ye about that?

Merlin

Bus conversion is DONE, and now the home for full-time travel.  Look for me parked in front of your house.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 10:11:43 AM »

Well, let me be the first to apologize for not responding to your posts. As you have probably noted, I do respond to a lot of posts because I have something to add. Whether it is of any value or not is another thing. LOL

Unfortunately I have not had anything to respond to in your posts as i know absolutely nothing about a Brill. However that does not mean that I do not look forward to your posts and the various problems you are having. Hopefully I will lean something about the Brill. I suspect that most of the members are in that same shape. You have an unusual (to say the least) vehicle and I believe everybody on the board is looking forward to your future posts and your progress on it. I do not think it is that we are not interested, it is just that we have very little to add to assist you at the present time. As you progress with the restoration, I feel that you will get more response, as we have anything to add to help.

Please do not give up on us. There are many of us, including myself, in the same financial position with little or no funds to tackle a restoration like this. In fact I no longer own a bus. I have however, over the years, acquired a broad general knowledge of busses and feel that I can offer some advice from time to time that relates directly to experiences that I have had.
Richard

Hello-

Sorry to change the topic back, but I can echo a couple of thoughts stated earlier, and I have my own reasons for keeping my postís limited-

First off Iím very bus challenged and totally in the dark on the repairs I need to do. I will post a query but refrain from asking anything other than whatís totally relevant to my task.

When I joined here I was skeptical.
It was a time before anyone stepped up with a response. That reinforced it.
The guys that did reply saved me from looking elsewhere for answers, and I decided to stay.

At that point I realized some (but few) have little interest in my project.
I decided to bite the bullet and try to keep those interested with updates of some sort.
I donít expect many repliesóand donít get them. Look at my view count on my posts. My project is worlds apart from the majority of issues posted. Nobody here (except 46Brillbus) has another like it. (But some have had a Brill.)

I would tire of posting with little or no replies and would eventually move on, but the enthusiasm shown by 3-4 buys here are enough to keep me feeling ďwantedĒ.

Letís face it, Iím the real minority here-

I have a 60-year old coachóprobably older than a few of the membersí here-
I would suspect some here would rather see me on an antiquesí board--but like the Cheshire cat--"I just grin and bear it".

At this point I rely exclusively on our memí 46Brillbus, as he has been a Godsend with help and info. It was only because of him that Iíve made it this far. I met him here, so that is more the reason to post updates here.

Oddly, I read 90% of everything posted. I skip the travel posts because they make jealous and wane to go on holiday (bus or no bus), as I havenít had one in several years.

And I skip some of the direct queries about certain coaches because I have zero ideas or input. Heck, sometimes I canít even figure out whatís being discussed. Many here are so used to the parts names or abbreviations, that they fire off the questions and blokes like me see it as all Greek.
That is to be expected from some membersí long board relationships-

Iíve also visited chat several times, and found no one home. Itís probably my timing. I will keep going back, though-

I donít appreciate cursing, or sex related topics on a bus info board. Those are just a click away if I felt so inclined (which I donít).

O/T posts donít bother me. Iíll read them if I have a care- and as Iíd said above, sometimes these can be the only things I can understand. That is the reason I read this thread. And Iím glad I did-

Iím not intimidated here or afraid to post.
On the other hand, I donít like to waste othersí (the majority here) time.

I have met a few wonderful people here and on chat and hope to strengthen my bonds with them as time goes along.

This is why I always thank all that have repliedóits only being polite- Something I was taught (beaten into submission) at an early age and practice openly and freely. Hopefully being an influence as well.

I plan to attend that Va. bash with my Famí that was mentioned on chat, and I have some interesting schemes as to what happens after (if) I get my Brill going.

And yes, Iím still searching for another old bus for a completely different refurbishing approach (I found a 41 (?) REO, but itís a bit much for me to spend with the Brill repairs pending at this time).

Itís bucketing down outside, so thatís why Iím posting now, and not working on the coach. I have the time.

Finally, and as a side note (O/T!) Iím past the half-century mark, thin and not muscle-boundóweak, actually and on medsí.
I have little income, as I do side jobs with whatís left of my construction equipment- from selling off the business to tend to my to daughters upbringing and catching up on bills.

I donít do nanny or babysitters for my girlsóitís the Wife, me, or nobody- (except the Wifeís mum).
This takes up the majority of my time. Also, itís few and far between that I have any help. I know one guy that will stop by on occasionóand thatís it.

Oh, and thank you for this thread, NcBob-

So now Iíve melted your minds with my diatribe..

Cheers..

« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 10:23:46 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Brill-o

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2006, 10:20:09 AM »

Hey there Merlin &DDLó

Thank you for the replies and thank you for reading my posts-
I understand the gist of both of your comments and they are taken to heart.

Yes. Iíd like to do more of a period interior look, but still keep some modern conveniences for safety and reliability. I will inquire of your thoughts and ideas when itís the relevant time. I think my Brill would be a worthy candidate-

I am far from that stage now, but each day brings a bit more reality to the final completion.

I understand what you said about more input when I get to the inside stageóand thatís good because Iíll be truly lost at that point.

I also realize that what I'm working on is far from the norm'.

We plan on using this as a ďholiday coachĒ, which as Iíd previously stated doesnít happen too often. This is the other reason I chose such an old coachóhoping with maintenance upkeep and little travel it will last us a very long time.

Iíve always loved buses, old lorries, trolleys, PCCís and hearses for their beautiful looks and attributes. They are most unique in a world full of cookie-cutter vehicles-

I hope my fantasy becomes a reality.

All here will be kept informed and know in due time..

Cheers..

Mind the Gap!
prevosman

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2006, 10:53:28 AM »

For my first post on this forum I guess I'll stick my neck out. I haven't built my conversion. I didn't build my previous conversion. Both were done by Liberty on new Prevost shells. I bought them both used.

But in the 16 years of ownership there is virtually nothing I have not repaired, replaced or maintained. I have replaced air bags, brake chambers, hub seals, hoses, ride height valves, leveling valves, brake linings, brake pads, etc. I have repaired the AC units and I have repaired or replaced refrigerators, heaters, lighting, etc. I have repaired my Webasto, and added systems not installed when the coach was converted.

But despite a lot of hands on, and a very good understanding of the sophisticated systems there appears to be a resentment towards people that buy their conversions, especially new or newer ones. The reality is I don't have the time, desire or skills necessary to convert a coach and make it anywhere near the quality of what I can buy. Very few people do because to build a coach takes almost 8500 man hours (for an already established design) and hundreds of thousands for the shell and the quality level of materials I want in a coach.

I will chime in here if I think I can add something to the discussion, but also expect my credibility is lacking despite never bringing my bus to anybody when it needs repairs or maintenance.

Jon Wehrenberg
Knoxville TN
1997 Prevost Liberty
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2006, 11:21:16 AM »

Rauchy,
First , let me be the first to welcome you to the boards.
You stated my position much better than I could have. Nice post.

I also purchased my conversion. I found that if I spent the time working at my regular job, instead of converting a bus, I was financially significantly ahead, and I could use that extra money to pay for the conversion already done. The coach was actually converted by the predecessor of the current Marathon organization, so I go back a lot of years. Like you, I had no desire to do it all my way and have something totally unique. Although I probably had the skills to do a conversion my time was better spent making money to pay for someone else's labor.

I spent several years searching the country for the right one. In fact we flew from LA to Florida, with cash in hand one time, to buy a conversion. I also flew to Canada and other areas of the country before I found the right one. I finally ended up buying a used one off the Marathon lot. All of this took place before the days of the INTERNET and all the information that is available currently.

I felt that if I could find something that the interior pleased my wife, then I could take care of any external repairs or changes that needed to be made, but I could do them while we enjoyed the use of the coach.

Like you, I also worked on everything on the coach after I got it, except for the drive train, and over a period of many years repaired many, many things and learned a lot. I do not feel that you lack anything in credability, and probably have a lot of information to offer newbees.

Again, welcome aboard from someone who has been in your same shoes.

Richard

For my first post on this forum I guess I'll stick my neck out. I haven't built my conversion. I didn't build my previous conversion. Both were done by Liberty on new Prevost shells. I bought them both used.

But in the 16 years of ownership there is virtually nothing I have not repaired, replaced or maintained. I have replaced air bags, brake chambers, hub seals, hoses, ride height valves, leveling valves, brake linings, brake pads, etc. I have repaired the AC units and I have repaired or replaced refrigerators, heaters, lighting, etc. I have repaired my Webasto, and added systems not installed when the coach was converted.

But despite a lot of hands on, and a very good understanding of the sophisticated systems there appears to be a resentment towards people that buy their conversions, especially new or newer ones. The reality is I don't have the time, desire or skills necessary to convert a coach and make it anywhere near the quality of what I can buy. Very few people do because to build a coach takes almost 8500 man hours (for an already established design) and hundreds of thousands for the shell and the quality level of materials I want in a coach.

I will chime in here if I think I can add something to the discussion, but also expect my credibility is lacking despite never bringing my bus to anybody when it needs repairs or maintenance.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 11:22:54 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
steamguy56

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2006, 12:28:36 PM »

Ok..Ok I'm going to post something.......Did I say that out loud.

This guy is a real newbie..my first post

Intro----  steamguy56--- steam(hobbie)  guy(male)  56(manufacture date)

Things going on during this pivital year of my life.
restoring steam traction engine (large)
try to restore at least 2 old tractors a year
building a park (Pa Pa's park) first grandson
converting 1979 mci

stage....floors out metal under there prept..raised roof..working in rear cap area..
just pulled the radiators and fan(what fun)

In my spare time I'm 1/3 owner of the recycling center's (3) of N.Fla,SGa.
thats a fancy name for junkyards. I spend about 50 hours a week in the Live Oak yard

Thought I'd better introduce myself so I wouldn't be acused of LURKIN

I've just been hanging around LURNIN...thanks for all the unsung help        Danny
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2006, 12:58:01 PM »

Now that we are way off track I have a question.† As was mentioned earlier Jumbo Shrimp and Military Intelligence are mutually exclusive and are called Oxy-Morons.† Does anyone know the word that describes the opposite?† For example: Overly Redundant.† Overly redundant probably would be a good definition for this word.

Redundundant Roll Eyes

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2006, 01:35:06 PM »

Not in my wildest dreams did I think the original post would take off...just hoping against hope I guess.

But thank you, not for what I did or why I did it, but for answering the call of the Wild Busnut!  It was meant like the Bugle of an Elk...into the hinterlands of BusLand...a call for you who were, perhaps on the edge of joing in, to join in with the rest of us.

Let's, collectively, hope the call will be heard by more great contributors like the offerings I just read.

That being said,  I'll retire back to my normal (?) posture and learn and enjoy.

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2006, 01:37:11 PM »

† †Welcome to all the new posters. My feelings are that if you own or plan to own a bus, you are a bus nut. This group has a tremendous amount of diversity including age, lifestlyes, incomes, abilities, retired, working, some are able to keep our buses at our homes, some must store them, etc. Some people choose to buy a coach that is already converted (new or used), nothing wrong with that. They get to actually use their coaches sooner and if purchased used, probably cheaper than doing your own. Some of us want to "roll our own" which is also OK. I am sure with a group this large you will probably find a few who think every busnut MUST build their own, but that group is a minority. †
 † Once again welcome and do not be afraid to post. After all the years I have been doing this, I still get slammed once in a while, But I just ignore it and keep coming back †Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2006, 02:46:10 PM »

I brought this same issue up a year or so ago after MAK had published data in the magazine showing the number of users vs the number of those who posted.  Only about 20% ever post.  The reasons were the same as now.  They feel a lack of knowledge which leads to intimidation.  When I started lurking on the bus boards in 1999 I knew absolutely nothing about RV's and motorhomes, much less buses.  I just got a hankering for an RV and stumbled onto these BB's, and darn, like some kind of STD, I got me a bus.  FWIW, I spent much less $$$ on my coach than I would have for a stick and staple motorhome.

After reading and asking lots of questions I bought a bus and "invented my new wheel".  I still ask lots of questions.  However, with 7 years worth of messing with my toy I now give lots of "here's what I did" answers.  Even for those of you who bought your own conversion, surely through your experiences of ownership you should have some contibution to a question from time to time just because of raw experience. 

I think of the boards as my moring coffee shop visit.  It's a social experience, too you know, a place where I come to visit my cyber bus friends.   I sure would miss everyone if the BB's folded up and died.

Don't be afraid to chime in with a visit.

David
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2006, 04:19:19 PM »

Bob,

I really enjoy reading this board.† Since I have never built a bus I like leaving the talking to those who know what is going on.† My Grandad always told me it is better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

It is the attitude that you expressed in this post that make this a friendly board to be a part of.† †

So, until later, I'll sit in the back of the bus and watch.

Let's face it, we have to be part fool to bring one of these things in the driveway in the first place Cheesy  but were also part wise for learing from each other.  Typing isn't opening your mouth.  What kinda fool would not know because they didn't ask?

And remember, there is one in every crowd!  Be glad when you see him and welcome him because if you don't see him, that means its your turn Grin

Your Fools May Vary Smiley Wink

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2006, 05:56:06 PM »

I learned most everything I know about busses (about 2% of what I need to know) from the various boards but MAK in particular.

I have a small glass engraving business and learned everything I know about that from internet boards and caring, sharing people.

Don't know how we ever made it before the internet.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: