Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 01:17:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: more trouble, again  (Read 3438 times)
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 06:58:39 PM »

If you can't get David.  Try Gene Russell  at Russell's Diesel  in Mill Springs N.C.  

828 863 2102.

You will also get to see one of the nices't 4103 around  With ddec 6/71  full time power steering.  nice bus.  Gene is pretty nice also

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 06:28:42 AM »

here's a thought.  I have had rear rumble (intermittent) thought it was the pinion etc...turned out it was a couple of  worn rubber bushings transferring regular differential noises that are usually isolated by the rubber.  Just passing this along as buses also have  rubber bits isolating the dif from the body.  Plus it's an easier fix!

skihor

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 06:47:27 AM »

My MCI 5A had a vibration/rumble problem once. I replaced the u joints but it was still there. First go around the mechanic didn't have the joints "timed" proper. Fixed that but still there. Turns out it was the ride heighth that was the issue. P.O. had installed individual leveling valves and defeated the automatic valves. That coupled with the auto trans swap, (resulted in a shorter drive line), it was very sensitive to ride heighth. I played with the pressure in the rear axle until I found the sweet spot.
I'm sure that won't answer your problem but who knows Huh  K.I.S.S

Don & Sheila
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 05:39:33 PM »

The mechanic didn't have the joints timed right!!! You gotta be kiddin me! Evidently greasing the joints may have even been his limitations!!  Roll Eyes

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 06:21:50 PM »

Not trying to sound totally like I rode the short bus...however...what is 'timing' u-joints?
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
john9861

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 06:26:56 PM »

I'll second Uncle Ned for checking with Gene Russell. Fantastic, knows his stuff & very fair.

John Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 6V92TA Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
Dallas

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 08:15:48 PM »

It's the magic art of turning the u-joints so that they are in the same orientation in relation to each other and in relation to the yokes of the differential and the transmission.

Not trying to sound totally like I rode the short bus...however...what is 'timing' u-joints?
Jack
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 07:06:23 AM »

Hi, just wanted to say thanks to all. We talked with several recommended, ended up with Don at Choo Choo. He was the only one who could do it in our time frame, and could fix it instead of replacing the whole differential. We left it with Don, who promised to have it done by Thursday at the latest. I will update you on the results after that. Again, thanks for the contacts, will file them for future use.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
Dallas

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2009, 07:29:51 AM »

Glad to hear it all worked out for you.

Don is old and crusty but he's good people.... and if you tell him I said that I'll deny all of it.

Oh, tell Carby and Axle and all the rest hi for Cat and I.
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2009, 08:33:44 AM »

Grin  I will!

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2009, 10:39:08 PM »

Hey Ruthi,
Tell Don "that guy up in Union City" says HI too. And ask him to let us know how our Setra is coming along please. We haven't been wanting to bug them, as we know Joel was hurt. but Joel called week b4 last and told us he was going to start on it Monday 05/04/09 and I have been in Salt Lake, UTAH since then until tonight.

Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2009, 04:39:50 AM »

Bryce, we saw your setra. They are working on it. I will say hi, when we pick ours up, and see how yours is coming along. What are they doing to it. He showed us, and we know it is about the motor, but didnt get any more info. We were there early Sat. morn, so they werent working then. How many guys does he have working? I just know about the one who works on the differentials.

NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2009, 11:53:07 AM »

Sorry,

Hadn't been checking lately due to computer difficulties. 

Anyhow, Check with Jeans Bus Service in Greenville SC, and also Juan at Deltaways.

They might have been on your way too.

You can at least add them to your list.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2009, 05:15:04 AM »

Update. We picked up our bus yesterday. Don said we didnt have a prob. with the pinon. He said there is some wear in the gears, but, it should be fine for now. He said with all the miles on it, that is expected. He said it will make some noise though. He did replace the seal. Just as we were arriving at Dons, the air pressure had a problem, so we had him replace all the old hoses. He also replaced one of the top hats that had a hole too. I guess he only has Joel working for him now. Bryce, he has the motor out of yours, and he said they were at the easy part of it now.We are hoping to have the Dina on the road by the end of the year. This old GMC had done a good job for us though. It is hard to get it done, with working on the road all the time though.  Thanks again for all the help from everyone. I will file all the numbers for shops.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: