Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 07:10:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King cruise speed sensor location??  (Read 607 times)
viento1

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2009, 07:30:55 PM »

Hello,

I have a non functional King cruise with 2 wires dangling. I believe they are for the speed sensor. I have an 8V71 with an Alison 644 trany. There only seems to be 2 locations for wires on the tranny. I am not sure if it is speed sensor wire or temp sensor?? Thoughts?

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:57:12 PM »

Most non-electronic buses use the left front wheel as a speed sensor.   
Transmissions have provisions for speed sensors. 
The ones I've seen on HT models are located on the LH front of the transmission.  It'll be near the output shaft.   If it's a VSS, they generally require twisted pairs of wires to properly conduct the tiny voltage.
Are you maybe looking at a backup light switch?  That's a SWAG.   If the switch is located near the shift linkage, it's probably a backup or neutral switch.   You could throw a continuity meter on it and shift the transmission.  If it shows continuity in neutral or reverse...you get the picture.
Could be a temp guage sender too...but that would likely be a single wire sensor. 
That's my best guess.  JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 05:15:01 AM »

does the Allison 644 have a SPEEDOMETER CABLE drive near the tail shaft ?? - there is sometimes a pulser that fits onto the speedometer drive cable to supply vss pulses

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: