Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 04:47:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USA Tour  (Read 2410 times)
bcaddel

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2009, 09:50:51 AM »

We are about 1/3 of the way into our 7,500 mile tour of the country. Left New Orleans this morning headed to Montgomery Alabama.  I was nervous about posting too soon in case we had problems with the bus and couldn't finish the trip but the bus is running great with almost no problems. I have posted many pictures of the bus and the trip here. There is even a short video of us doing a hot swap, we do that 2 or 3 times a day and it works out well and I really feel it is pretty safe.

http://cozy-adventure.blogspot.com/

The only real problem we have had is the 7000 watt genset trips one of the breakers everytime we turn on the rear air conditioner. We can run both coolers when we are parked but going down the road the rear breaker trips within 10 minutes of turning it on everytime.

One thing I have noticed is this 8v-71 sure runs much better at Sea Level (actually we are 9 feet below sea level as I type this). We are easily crusing at 65 and 70 mph and have gotten in the upper ranges of 6 miles per gallon since we left the mountains in Arizona.

We have until the end of the month to finish our trip and we are right on schedule to arrive back in Reno around the 29th assuming I didn't jinx myself by bragging on how well things are going.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 10:02:06 AM by bcaddel » Logged

Bob Caddel, Las Vegas Nevada
1971 MC7, 8V71, Allison MT654
poppi

mci 8 L10 ZF tranmission; helena

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 10:03:18 AM »

I'm impressed..........looks like your having fun Smiley

When you get to the Helena area and need a place to stay you're welcome here.

May your trip continue to be safe and fun

Skip

Snow disappeared......Now where did I put that bus?
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 10:07:10 AM »

The only real problem we have had is the 7000 watt genset trips one of the breakers everytime we turn on the rear air conditioner. We can run both coolers when we are parked but going down the road the rear breaker trips within 10 minutes of turning it on everytime.

Bob,

I had a similar issue with mine.  My generator compartment ran hotter underway and this heat caused the breaker to trip at a lower demand, but never when stopped.

I add a stronger blower and the problem went away.  YMMV.

Enjoy your trip...

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
bcaddel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 10:09:20 AM »

Skip
What is the weather like there? We plan to spend several days at Yellowstone (I even threw in a set of chains just in case). We went there last year in March and took the snowmobile trip through the park. That was a ton of fun. Your offer sounds great and if all goes well we would love to meet ya for a cup of coffee or something.

Bob & Pearl

bcaddel

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 10:13:44 AM »

Cliff
I said it wrong, the rear air conditioner only works when we are parked on "Shore Power". It still trips on the generator when stopped, but it could be a hot compartment because I only tried it when we first stopped and it tripped. I will let it cool down tonight when we stop and see if it works then. I don't have a cooling fan in the compartment but it has a screen type door so air can flow through. If it works tonight after it cools down, I think I might put in some kind of fan and see if that helps.

Thanks for the idea

Bob

poppi

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 10:22:26 AM »

Bob,

May  23 to 26   highs in the 70's night dropping to mid 40's.
  Sunday the 24 predicted to be rainy.

What road are yo using to drop down into yelly stone?

Skip

bcaddel

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 10:36:31 AM »

Skip
I haven't planned that far, we will probably spend the arriving night in Cody on the east side of the park but thats about as far as I have planned. We don't nail things down very tight until the day of or day before so we have plenty of room to modify. Being that's your part of the country do you have any suggestions?

I assume most/all the snow on the ground is gone.

poppi

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 10:50:16 AM »

Bob,

I saw snow on the mountains this morning when going to work.
  If you like the wild west memorbilia Cody has a very nice Museum.

From there I would just head west to the park Smiley

Remember west yellowstone is a little cooler than here (temps I posted)

We'll talk more when you get closer.

Enjoyed your blog.   All that food...........must be nice

Skip

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 03:51:03 PM »

Great blog, if I had know you were driving through Abilene on I-20 I would have waved as you drove by! Roll Eyes

Have fun and be safe!

~Paul~

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
bcaddel

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 06:01:33 PM »

Paul
I almost tried to contact you and see if you still had those two chairs for sale. We broke of one of the arm rest on the co-pilot chair and my wife said that is where I have to ride until I get her a new chair. I acted like I was upset, but she is such a good driver and I don't really have a problem sitting and navagating, checking email and surfing the internet while she is taking us to each new destination.

Sorry I didn't give you a shout, we would have loved to meet you and Becky when we were right there in Abline. I am always in too big of a hurry, I will definately have to work on that once we actually retire.....

Bob

Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 06:39:54 PM »

Bob,

It looks like you are coming stright up I-95.  Do you have any plans to stop any where near Woodbride?  If so maybe we can get toether for coffee and such.

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Dallas

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 08:49:25 PM »

Hey Frank,
In reference to a previous post that you commented on, I'd like to ask: Where's Woodbride?

The hijack is now over, please return to your assigned seats.

Bob,

It looks like you are coming stright up I-95.  Do you have any plans to stop any where near Woodbride?  If so maybe we can get toether for coffee and such.

Frank
REK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 10:23:18 AM »

Frank means Woodbridge, Dale City is a section of and is in the area of Exit 154 - 156 off of Route 95.

Rick
Dallas

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 10:40:32 AM »

Yeah, I know. I was making reference to his post on Christy Hick's thread about the dates of the NJT rally.

Frank means Woodbridge, Dale City is a section of and is in the area of Exit 154 - 156 off of Route 95.

Rick
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 05:43:50 PM »

Good catch Dallas Smiley   

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: