Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 21, 2014, 09:02:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Busnut Burned Out - Lost Home and Bus. Needs Help  (Read 7469 times)
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 07:10:46 PM »

Mac,
Sorry I am behind in checking this board; an important piece of advice here.  I hope you're wearing a suitable respirator when you dig through this debris.  You have probably already thought of this, but in case you haven't, when synthetic materials burn they leave behind all sorts of toxic compounds in the ash.  That nasty stuff will mess you up if you breathe it for a day or two.  Don't ask me how I know...

Sorry for your tremendous loss.  Just take it one day at a time.  I'm sending a small check.  Hang in there, Mac.

Dennis     

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
MacGyver

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 10:42:45 PM »

Dennis,

Actually, my respirators all burned in the garage...  My parents lost about 50% of what they owned, I lost about 98%....  I had a complete woodworking shop which was set up in the garage.  Sad 

I haven't started tearing apart stuff that sheds dust yet...  So I haven't worried much with it.  I just got the bus wrapped in plastic today though, so I'm as done with it as it's going to get until we figure out what we're going to do next..  We're working on getting the lawyer next...  I just needed to get the bulk of the burned furniture out of the bus and into the trash pile.  The rest of it can wait for now, including the glass. 

I simply don't have the money to do anything more than demolition right now.  The glass is going to kill me..  The bus was my way to get to work, now it's down for the count.  I'm going to need to find something locally for the time being, but jobs are extremely scarce right now. Sad  So I just don't know what I'm going to do yet...

-Mac

1953 Flxible Visicoach
http://b.logthis.net/toothless
cody

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 07:12:58 AM »

Mac, what kind of a bus was it, I ask because I've found some really great deals on side windows at Bontragers, they're tinted sliders with screens.
Airbag

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2009, 08:48:23 AM »

Mac
Why don't you wait till you get the clean up done and see what you've got before you make your decision to rebuild, you might find it just better to get another bus. I have seen others for as little as 5K that are drivable. But if you do decide to procede with it I have a drivers seat with the ratchet tube attached, it should just drop down in your base.

I would bet you could find a GM bus with a blown engine for a give away price that you could swap your engine and be way ahead of the game. Call Sam Caylor and other bus part people and see what they might have. These older buses are just being sent to the scrappers by the parts guys. My two cents.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 08:51:48 AM by Airbag » Logged
MacGyver

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2009, 10:35:43 AM »

Cody,

The only windows I intend to replace are the front windows...  The passenger windows will eventually be skinned over and standard RV style windows installed...  Right now though, I'm not too concerned with the windows as I'm just trying to make sure I can actually salvage the old girl...

---

Airbag,

I am going to finish cleanup before I make the final decision... but right now, I need something to "hold on to" that will keep me busy and keep me from thinking about what's been lost...  Right now, that's the bus and the animals that did survive the blaze... 

I actually picked this old girl up for fairly cheap...  I've had her less than a month.  Sad  Problem is, I sank every last penny (literally) I had into getting her and have no more money to buy another.  I sold my car for the fuel money to get her home!

As for the seat...  I can't buy it from you right now... Not enough $$.  And I know shipping will be expensive...  I'm hoping I have an old captain's chair from the van I used to have out in storage...  It was comfy.  I salvaged the base off the seat that was in the bus...  Hopefully I can make the two mesh together, if not... I know a welding shop nearby that could probably weld the chair to the base...  Assuming I even have the seat any longer.

It's just going to take a long time to recover from this...  I'm hoping that SF will at least replace my conversion equipment...  I had everything ready to go and was stripping down the bus for refit with the new equipment.  Sad

-Mac

1953 Flxible Visicoach
cody

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 10:50:29 AM »

Mac, the windows I'm talking about are the retrofit rv style windows for buses, these windows are the ones available for conversion use with the sliders and screens, I fully understand the frustration at this point and uncertainty, as things start to smooth out and the air clears somewhat let us know what the final choices are and I'll almost be willing to bet that things could fall into place somewhat, life sometimes deal a blow that seems like quite a hill to climb but once a person reaches the top its a fun slide and the pedulum does sometimes swing as much into a persons favor as it did away from it.
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 06:13:39 AM »

I just learn this today, Sunday AM.
I will add this to my prayer list.
Some of us has been thorough the storm of whatever to cause a restart of building a new beginning with the hope of getting back on our feet. It very tuff going but with prayer and faith you will prosper. It is our only hope.

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

Keep looking up!

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
Airbag

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 07:12:25 AM »

The seats your's free if you want it. Maybe a bus nut could throw it in the baggage bay if they are passing thru this area? It's in good shape it's a captains chair. 
cody

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2009, 07:15:23 AM »

We travel all over and will probably be working our way thru your area at some point next fall or so, we could probably stop and pile up some sawdust here and there if needed, I've got some material that needs a home anyway lol.
MacGyver

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2009, 01:11:36 PM »

Thanks...  I'd appreciate any parts that anyone can spare...  Jack's sending mirrors to me off his MCI, I hope they'll fit my GM...  If not, I'll send 'em back, or send 'em to someone who can use them if I can't...

Once I get a job again, I'll be able to repair the bus and get it back to operational assuming no major structural damage...  I'd planned to rewire the bus to begin with, just not so soon. heh....

The dash instruments seem to have survived, except for the speedo, which didn't work to begin with...  But all the light housings melted... Turn signals don't work, but the rear light assembly and brake lights seem to work just fine...

And oddly, the air leak I had when releasing the brakes has disappeared...  Odd.  Right now, I'm working on the itemized list of things for the insurance to replace...  I'm sending them only the conversion equipment since the coverage isn't much and my parents need the majority of it...  But I have to replace the equipment that was lost in the fire.  I'm going to have to write off the computers and just replace them later once I get cash flow going again. 

I'm just hoping the damage to the bus really is what it currently appears to be... If it is, I can fix it.  The major expense will be the glass...  I'd eventually planned to replace the windshields, but the "D" window glass, door and driver's side glasses I had not intended to replace... they were in good condition.  The windshields had some chips and a couple of cracks and were "swirled" from being wiped down so much with dirty cloths...  Nighttime driving was difficult as the windshields tended to "haze" everything. 

Sigh.  Always something... 

-Mac

1953 Flxible Visicoach
busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 11:02:17 AM »

I'm thinking along the same lines as Airbag, if you could find a bus with a poor motor you'd probably pick it up for a fraction of the money you'll put into yours. Wiring can be quite a headache and expense, Just food for thought, So sorry for ALL of you loses, I can't even get my head around it yet.

Grant

Have Fun!!
Grant
MacGyver

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 08:43:47 PM »

Grant...  I'd do that, except it still puts me in the same situation I'm in now...  I have nowhere to do that kind of work on her, and if I did... I don't have the know-how to do an engine/transmission swap on my own...  To my knowledge, I don't live near enough to anyone that could help.  Sad

But, I know the engine/transmission in the one I have now are good, solid running units...  I saw a Scenicruiser on eBay not too long ago that needed an engine/tranny, but was in CA...  I have no way to get one back here that couldn't run under its own power...  Money is beyond "tight" right now...  With my injuries and with everything else going on...  It's just still all overwhelming right now.

I'll figure out what to do after I rip into her and see what kind of damage I'm looking at once I get things torn apart...  I haven't even gone into her for 4 days or so now I guess... Ever since I plastic wrapped her to keep the rain out.  Too many other things going on right now to worry about the bus...  And until I get a lawyer to sue either the city or Snake Farm, it's a pointless endeavor either way... 

The donations we've received have helped a lot with basic necessities and with tools we've needed as well as stuff we've needed for the dogs that survived, but it's dwindling at this point....  I really have no hope of buying even one window with what's currently left.  Sad

So, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place...  I'll just be glad when these burns start healing up and don't hurt and itch so damn bad at the same friggin' time. heh.

Jack Conrad is sending mirrors that will hopefully fit...  Once I can get to working on the bus again, I've got to rip the burned cap off and see what I'm looking at under there...  One of the PO's used sheet metal screws and screwed the headliner right through the skin...  So I'm not quite sure how I'm going to deal with that hurdle yet...  Probably just sand it clean and use a few layers of fiberglass and bondo over it to smooth it out... 

The one skin panel that warped is fairly small and I can replace it if I had a source...  The welding shop I use could cut it to size, but what to use for rivets?   I don't really want to use pop rivets... they're not only ugly, but aren't weatherproof with the hole in the center, the leak.

Once I heal up and can work again, I'm going to try to find something around here for employment...  But jobs here are scarce... At best.  That's why I was doing the bus up, to get the hell out of this place and on to greener pastures.  Sigh.

Well, I'll close this up for now.  I've got to get up early tomorrow to get up to the burn unit at LSU for my appt... 

-Mac

1953 Flxible Visicoach
MacGyver

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 04:16:09 PM »

OOOHHHHH KAY.

Now we're getting somewhere with the glass (no, I haven't bought anything yet... )

Thanks to Mike, who supplied me with a couple of places to check for the windshields...

One place gave me the quote today.  I have to wait until next week sometime for the other place...  But, this is MUCH more promising than the first quote I got...

TransLite quoted me a price of $129 for each windshield, $65 crate fee each and about $100 freight fee...  So, both windshields for a little under $500.  Much more reasonable...

Of course, they don't sell the seal kits...  I'll have to give Luke up at USC a call for those (in fact, the guy I talked to referenced US Coach but couldn't remember Luke's name until I mentioned it)... 

I'll wait for the quote from the 2nd place and once we're done clearing our stuff out of the house, I'll revisit the coach to see if it's worth moving forward with or not.  My feeling right now is that I can salvage her...  But I'll reserve final judgement for when I can dig into the dash to see just how bad the damage really is.

I know I can rewire the coach...  And I know it won't be TOO terribly expensive to do so.  I just have to wait and see if it's going to be worth it in the long run...  Right now, that answer is yes...  I simply can't go buy another coach right now, and I *NEED* it.

So... Next question is...  How the hell do I install these huge windshields myself?  I know it's at least a two person job... Likely three...  What are the tricks to doing so? 

I'll be taking the seal surfaces down to bare metal, priming with rustoleum and using a flat black (also rustoleum) for the final coat.  Probably 10 coats of primer and two to four coats of the final flat black, just to be sure I don't have to do it again and keep the surfaces protected from rot for a LONG time...

Some of the seal surfaces need a little more work than just a cleaning and paint though...  I'll probably take it up to the welding shop (since my welding rig burned) and have them weld in some new metal for the seal surfaces if I move forward with it...

So...  Tips?  Hints?

And does anyone out there have a spare passenger side air wiper motor?  Mine didn't make it through the fire....   Driver's side motor did though.

-Mac

1953 Flxible Visicoach
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 04:29:46 PM »

I am supposed to help a fellow busnut change a couple Buffalo windshields in 3 weeks. Maybe we can shoot some "How To" photos for you.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
MacGyver

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 07:34:14 PM »

That'd be GREAT, Jack!  Smiley  Thanks! 

By the way...  The mirrors haven't come yet...  Probably in the next couple of days.  Smiley

-Mac

1953 Flxible Visicoach
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: