Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 09:02:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GMC 4107 Roof Airs  (Read 1052 times)
Vanderbus

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2009, 08:21:27 AM »

The PO cut a couple of holes in my roof to install vents. The holes are cut through 2 of the center roof "stiffeners" and framed around with 2x2 (see picture). I read in another thread on this board that at least one member thinks that wasn't such a great idea by him, so I have a couple questions.

Is my 4107's structural integrity severely threatened by these cuts?
Is there any way I can put roof airs in place of the vents? Would replacing the 2x2 with steel be necessary/sufficient?
Does anyone else have experience with roof airs in the center of a GMC? Photos?

Thanks,
Joe

Here's a link to the full resolution image (click the magnifying glass on that page for best quality): http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/0RLutnof6przLDs9f2bQ4g?feat=directlink

Joe W.
1966 PD-4107 #265
Toney, AL
Airbag

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 08:38:16 AM »

The cut-outs for roof airs are 14.1/4" x 14.1/4". I would think they would be ok to put them there but you do need to beef that area up a little to bring back the strength lost from the cut center member. Now if your interior won't let you weld a frame in place an external doubler on top will bring back the lost strength. You could install one with blind rivets shot wet with sealant for water leakage prevention. They make blind rivets that are sealed on the bulbed end and won't leak thru the stem. Just my two cents. I can post some doubler repair data if you like from the aircraft bible that will do the trick.

FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 10:17:04 AM »

Is my 4107's structural integrity severely threatened by these cuts?
Is there any way I can put roof airs in place of the vents? Would replacing the 2x2 with steel be necessary/sufficient?
Does anyone else have experience with roof airs in the center of a GMC? Photos?

Joe,

You need to replace the structural support that was removed by the PO cutting out the center rib.

But basically you need to put a support/rib on each side of the opening that runs fore and aft to next cross section.

I welded mine in and put a support cross wise on each side of the opening.

The opening edges new supports were riveted and bonded with Sikaflex.

I believe I have some pictures of my install on our 4905 at home, I will post them later.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: