Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 09:07:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: actually used some board knowledge to get out of a tight bind today.  (Read 553 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2009, 07:06:41 PM »

Driving home today I was in the work van with 2 kiddies in the back.  Sitting at an intersection left rear tire blows.  I had noticed a lumpyness from there as the day progressed and had thought to look at it when I got home.  As I am in the middle of changing some PS stuff in my gals POS Safari, bunch of my tools where not in my van, specifically my 3/4 impact socket and breaker bar  and cheater that I need to remove the lug bolts on my van.  I just had a cheapy lug nut tee thing that threatened to break if I torqued it ( the bolts are a bear to pull) and the OE lug wrench which sucks but at least a piece of pipe I had could be used as a cheater.  Still I could not get the cheapo OE lug wrench to work as it would slip of when I torqued it as the handle is on a bit of an angle to the socket.
Then I remembered that someone here (or BNO) had mentioned putting a lug wrench on and then moving the vehicle, allowing the ground and the rotation of the wheel to turn the nut.  Well amazingly, with the road stopping the wrench handle from changing plane and the strength of the turning wheel I quickly loosened all 5  lug bolts.  That was sweet 'cause I was in the middle of rush hour, cash is tight these days so a tow/service call would be a drag ,and even if I had asked her, Jenn's van was in bits and unable to deliver me my stuff.
  So whoever posted that trick thank you, it was a new one for me. 
   And also this was a good reminder to me that the right tool gets the job done.  These days I have pretty much all I need in regular mechanic's stuff, so I forget sometimes how hard it is working with the wrong tools.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: