Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 08:12:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ProLink Suggestions  (Read 1206 times)
homermandy

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2006, 11:06:19 AM »

Been thinking of getting a ProLink for my 6V92TA DDECII and Allison ATEC.
Are there any models or manufacturers to avoid?
Also, what is the connector size I need to make sure I have?
Thanks

1991 Eagle 15
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 09:34:18 PM »

Any luck with this homermandy?

Any ideas for homermandy busnuts?

Heck, I don't even know what the ProLink is!!!   Guess I could use some education on this.

Best Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
lloyd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 10:07:15 PM »

A prolink is just a hand held reader for electronic engines/transmissions. Prolink is a brand name. You will need to buy the cartridge fro DDEC II and Allison trans. Prolinks will work fine for reading faults and performing some diagonsis.
Hope this helps
Lloyd
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 09:18:16 AM »

When I got close to getting the Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift ready for wiring and installation, it became obvious that I would need a Pro-Link to check the wiring and to make changes for various parameters.  One of the great folks from this group (and other boards – James Maxwell – sadly now deceased) and I did a lot of looking and talking about Pro-Link sources.  We watched Ebay every day, and there were lots of units out there, but they all went for a ton of money (close to retail).  While watching the auctions, I ran across the following company:

USAtoolwarehouse.com

I ended up buying the Graphic unit.  I am away from my records (on way to BusN USA), but I bought a kit similar to:

http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/usatoolwarehouse/mpi-604001c.html

That kit has changed a bit since I bought mine, but it is close.  I bought the DDEC III/IV card and I was good to go.  The card that comes with it can read just about any engine/transmission code, but can’t recalibrate any application.   I needed to reset several variables on my engine, so I needed to get the card. 

I really did not want to spend that much money, but I figured when I was done with it, I would put it on Ebay and recover some of my money.

I am not impressed with the graphic option.  Maybe I did not spend enough time playing with it, but the display does not do much for me.  I have the Silverleaf VMSpc and it does all of the graphing that I need and does it very well.  If you are only looking for picking up codes and graphing of functions, maybe the Silverleaf would be a better option:

http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/.

Besides, the VMSpc is a really fun toy!  Maybe I should not call it a toy, since I would not drive the bus without it being on the dash giving me all kinds of necessary information.

Now, back to Pro-Link

I really used the unit a lot during my installation.  Still use it today every once in a while.  Have used it on some other folk’s buses and it is always fun to help them.  I am not ready to sell the unit yet, and may never sell it, as it has a lot of value to me.

The Folks at USA seemed to be good people to work with.  Their Ebay price is lower than their website price.  I bought it directly from them and they gave me the Ebay price, but would not give me the free shipping.

There is some confusion with “cartridges” and “cards”.  I think the early Pro-links had cartridges for each application.  Today they seem to favor one cartridge that has a slot for what looks like PCMCIA cards and then use cards for each application. 

I looked for other technologies in the market and could not find any other players.  Nexiq seems to have a corner on the market.  They do a good job and are used by almost every dealer that I know of. 

Not sure if that helps or not.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 09:35:44 AM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
c-coop

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 02:45:12 PM »

chec e-bay I bouught a brand new one with the ddec 3&4 and allison cartrige for only 700$ Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: