Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 10:57:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A REASONABLE model for my (and maybe your) bus's fuel mileage  (Read 10295 times)
JimGnitecki

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2009, 06:26:30 AM »

Jim,
    I have the smae probleme!  I think it has smoething to do with my gettin' older?? LOL When you write a post look to the right of the box that you click on to post your message. There is a box that says Spell Check.  A former moderator, who passed away last year, was always a stickler for propper spelling and grammar. Are you watching over us Richard?  Jack
Errors intentionally left in this post

THank-you! I had not noticed that spell check capability. THAT is sooooo nice to ahve available. Now, I just need to try to remember to use it each time!

Jim G
poppi

mci 8 L10 ZF tranmission; helena

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2009, 08:16:20 AM »

Justa FWIW   N65 injectors are nice but without having the timing changed for those injectors you may not
  be getting the max power N65 can afford you. You stated injector reciepts but did it include changing the timing?

The rest I'll leave to those

Have a nice day

Skip

Snow disappeared......Now where did I put that bus?
JimGnitecki

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2009, 08:51:13 AM »

Justa FWIW   N65 injectors are nice but without having the timing changed for those injectors you may not
  be getting the max power N65 can afford you. You stated injector reciepts but did it include changing the timing?

The rest I'll leave to those

Have a nice day

Skip

Skip: Unfortunately, both of the invoices I received as part of the documentation package with the bus (a whole 18" thick box of documents!), while they listed parts used, including those injectors and other parts, did not specify what was done and what was not done. The text of the labor description in both cases included  the phrases "replaced" and "tuned" and "set", but did not specifically state what all was done. I may be able to contact the former owner and ask him, as I have his name and a phone number that was good back in February when he traded the bus in on a Prevost.

I do understand what you are tallking about. The Detroit Diesel sp0ec sheets and injector timing sheet I received from others on this board talk about that. I simply have no way yet of knowing what was done and what was not. Even if I successfully connect woth the former owner (for whom I have 6 other questions so far!), he may or may not know, depending on how technical he himself is.

Jim G
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2009, 08:55:40 AM »

Jim,very interesting posts,but aren't ya beating a dead horse now with the numbers?It is very interesting to learn what went into the original engineering of the detroit's(never knew that before),but as you stated
" virtually everything in the model is from sources like Detroit Diesel itself or Caterpillar,  I think the engineers who designed and built the engines, and the well resourced companies they are part of, probably know more about them than either you or me"
 Sounds like you are trying to re invent the wheel here,the numbers have been crunched before .
 Out here in the wild wild west,MPG's At least for me is a big pipe dream.
 no matter where you travel you are going to have to tackle one grade after another,so MPG's are useless,Hp and torque are the name of the game on the table.
 We have to work with the chips we got.
 So,engineering all said and done ,this leaves us with the one most important thing left,Tuning.
Engineers have there place and there is always room for improvement .
 But it is the guy with the hands on experience that will fine tune that dude to perform to the best of it's ability,by knowing what works and what doesn't.

What works on paper,does not always work in the real world,and takes a seasoned mechanic to make it all work.
 Please don't think That I am prejudice against engineers,I'm not,most actually do pull out hand tools and roll up there sleeves and get dirty LOL Wink.
I think we have quite a few talented people on this board,ones that have done the impossible with their engines .
So ,all that said and done ,my feeling is if I want to boost performance ,I'll be talking to the seasoned mechanic as opposed to an engineer,they will certainly know what does and doesn't work.
 Nice numbers by the way(but we already knew that),and welcome to the madness,I think the bug has bitten you in places no one else has been bitten Cheesy
 So keep posting ,and we will all learn together Wink,hell,I might even break out my calculator (still need to find out what the red and black leads with the clips are for though  Cheesy)and help confuse things even further  Grin.chow!

Bike's huh?would like to hear about itNever mind that's for the OT's

Carry on.
Van Cool

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 12:02:24 PM by van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
JimGnitecki

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2009, 09:25:54 AM »

Bike's huh?would like to hear about itNever mind that's for the OT's

Van Cool

There's a LONG history there - too long for a posting. Some of the more interesting projects included:

- A ducati Monster S4 that was mostly carbon fiber and light alloy, incluyding even carbon fiber wheels, headlight nacelle, etc), that lost about 70 pounds over stock weight, and took 2nd place at a bike show

- A Honda CBX 6-cylinder that I rescued from neglect but that handled like a tank despite my efforts (just way too heavy!)

- A Kenny Roberts replica Yamaha RZ350 2-stroke with computerized intake and exhaust timing. A 350 pound missile if ever there was one! I bought the original bike from a judge's daughter who used to street race guys on much larger bikes, and used her combination of light bike, light rider, and short duration races to humiliate the guys!

- A Chevrolet SSR retro pickup with Magnuson supercharger kit (technically a "blower"  Smiley ) and other mods that got it to 575 crank hp, while remaining reliable and driveable enough for daily driver use (over 43,000 miles on it when I sold it, and not ever a glitch)

- an unfinished 1955 FIRST Edition (not 2nd Edition!) "Advance Design Series" Chevrolet pickup truck that got a 6.0 liter LQ9 engine recammed to about 450 crank hp, fiberglass leaf springs that cut the weight of the springs from 156 lb to 24 1/2 lb, and got to a TOTAL weight of 2975 pounds ready for the road! Unfinished because that's when I lost my job and had to start selling the truck off as parts  Sad

- The current "daily driver" (it's my ONLY car): 2009 Mustang GT with Roush supercharger kit (technically a "blower"  Smiley ), Roush cold air intake, Roush exhaust, and Roush Stage 3 suspension. 475 crank hp, cornering better thn 1 G, and 22 mpg on the highway at 73 mph. My wife drives this every day and has no clue what happens when you floor it. The young punks at her workplace are all green with envy  Smiley .

Yeah, I get pretty serious when I do a project.

Jim G
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2009, 09:53:40 AM »

You are right Jim,those are some impressive after market parts,and cost a bunch,But what I would do now is have your local Whizz Bang guru whisper into your engine's ear that sweet,sweet melody which makes them run oh so beautifully stout ,cause with out them,numbers are like cereal with milk,once digested it all ends up in the black tank anywho.Have a great bus nut day,gday

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2009, 11:03:30 AM »

JimG,

I think you are well appreciated here.  "Some" of what Cody says has "some" merit from his perspective.  I can't see where the vitriol is warranted and this situation saddens me a little.  Cody has been around a long long while and has been of much service to many and is known to have his heart in the right place.  Watching this from my distant posit it seems obvious that there is a clash of personality that cannot be easily explained or justified.  I know I have fallen into the same mode as Cody and I most certainly have gotten the butt end on more occasions than I can count over the years.  Please "bare" with him and all of us for that matter.  You are appreciated and I hope you will continue in your current "vane". Please
overlook this episode and start fresh.

Sorry to hear of your current dilemma with work and all.  Truly sad stuff is happening all over the nation.  That doesn't cheer you, I understand, but, it doesn't seem that it is the fault of the people that  are being damaged.  Cody has recently suffered a near tragedy concerning his wife's health.  He nearly lost her and he received an outpouring of sympathy.  Our sincere concern was backed up with a collection to help him purchase an oxygen machine to make her more mobile and lessen some of the burden.  No doubt he was patient, compassionate and generous in his own right even before his most recent hardships tempered him even further.  Please be patient with us and know that we are appreciative of the time and energy you have expended.

HTH

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
gmbusguy1

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2009, 11:20:47 AM »

I am sure there is a Detroit Diesel forum available for this type of information and splitting of hairs

Jim you are probably a great guy with a lot of knowledge however the way you are writing some of your posts seems to indicate that all of us that were here before you came on the board had just fallen off of a city bus and are stupid, oh and we don't know anything regarding our beloved 2 strokes.

the info you are trying to present is not the problem  the way it is being offered is !

just a observation from this end

God Bless and have a great day    good luck  Amen

Chris
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2009, 11:27:01 AM »

Van,

Your points are well made and taken.  Engineers were the bane of my life for many years.  Still, I have met some positively sterling men that were engineers to the bone.  One was a gentleman named William Guion from San Antonio and worked at South West Research Institute.  Had  a Dr. in electrical engineering.  Unlike any I have known, William (never call him Bill)  could modulate his communication to any level or lack of technical understanding/background you could imagine.  He spoke to a group of brainiac research engineers for thirty min and I understood nary a word but he sure taught me a lot and also did so for everyone we put before him.  Now William had a Shelby Cobra in his 4 car garage.  You know, the original.  The one with the aluminum body.  He built/blueprinted the engine himself, I understand, but I can't swear to it, not having been there.  I do know that he had a wall in his garage that was made by "SUN SYSTEMS", literally, and he knew how to use it.  He was so generous that he took a few sailors (USN) home over the weekend to resolve a problem they were having with their van that developed on the drive from Wash., DC.  Truly, a unique man.  Every ME I have ever met had grease under his nails.  Still, I know where you are coming from.....in spades.

Three of William's fellow engineers said to me with wide eyes and the hint of terror in their voices " Don't go for a ride in that thing with him, John.  Don't do it!"  Sooooooo he built it, knew it and used it.  Rare bird.

Thanks,

John
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 11:33:59 AM by JohnEd » Logged

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2009, 11:34:36 AM »

Hi Cris,I think this is a link to the DD yahoo group
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/DetroitDiesel/
if not sorry. Smiley
 these guys are pretty wild ,some very interesting(and strange)things going on there. Shocked

Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2009, 11:55:54 AM »

John,sounds like a rare bird indeed,he has my respect ,as do a few others of his caliber,also from Texas .Have a safe Memorial Day Weekend,and don't forget to thank a vet,soldier and remember those that gave so much .Van Smiley

cody

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2009, 12:51:36 PM »

http://www.google.com/search?q=Jim+Gnitecki&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1  Some interesting information has come to light that may explain the sudden interest in all things mechanical, it seems that mr jim goes from board to board, dazzles them with tidbits of information then is willing to sell them the necessary missing pieces to complete the model, he does this as a business not as a friend to us poor trusting 2 stroke busnuts, if you google the guy you can find that he has infiltrated almost every board that there is, this link is only one that was sent to me, I have since found many others.  I apologize to any that I may have offended either in this thread or in the next one but after spending half my life in prison it's not hard to spot a con or a game, I'm not sure which it is but something just isn't right here.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 01:11:53 PM by cody » Logged
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2009, 01:21:16 PM »

Another shiny minnow,you suppose ? LOL!

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2009, 01:37:54 PM »

Did either of you guys actually follow any of those links?  I did and found nothing but praise for the report that Jim issues and as far as I can tell its one specialized report for one specific situation.  I don't know what particular burr is up your butt Cody but its not pleasant - its demeaning to you and to this forum.  Take your vendetta private please.  Some of us are learning from this thread and so far all it has cost us is time.  If that changes we'll make our own decisions.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
JimGnitecki

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2009, 01:39:51 PM »

You are right Jim,those are some impressive after market parts,and cost a bunch,But what I would do now is have your local Whizz Bang guru whisper into your engine's ear that sweet,sweet melody which makes them run oh so beautifully stout ,cause with out them,numbers are like cereal with milk,once digested it all ends up in the black tank anywho.Have a great bus nut day,gday

When I get re-employed, I will want to find a tuner to do his magic on the engine, but right now, it's sort of mostly financial survival time! You have to play the hand that you are dealt . . . Smiley

Jim G
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: