Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 04:22:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: re allison trans  (Read 3621 times)
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 06:11:38 PM »

Mine downshifts hard (really easy for everyone on board to feel it) from 2nd to 1st  (i think) when pulling up to a stop sign, etc., for the first few minutes.  Then shift is just fine with no problems.   Tho' I have other problems as our leaks fluid as well - so it goes into the shop next year...   Angry

Best Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 04:55:43 AM »

After I installed a tachometer in my mC8, I really began to see what happens at shift points, etc.  When my trans shifted to 4th at 45 or so, my rpms would drop to 1100 or 1200 and the engine had to climb it way back up to where I wanted it to run (1500+)
Like the other guys, I learned just to leave it in 3rd gear with the shifter unless I needed to go over 50MPH, then drop it into 4th.
I know its not the way its designed, but shifting by the tach and speedo makes the engine a lot happier and also helps the performance and drivilibility. When downshifting at 1500 rpm, I let off the throttle and shift and back on the throttle at the same time. It makes a smooth shift and stays in the power band on the 8V71.
 I know from 4 years of reading the boards that some folks poo at the tach, but I really enjoy mine. For installation in the stock MC8 dash, I moved the bus volt meter out of the panel and mounted it under my b/u monitor. Into that spot, I put a new 2" diameter air gauge that Capt Ron gave me (thanks Ron) That left me with the large opening where the factory air gauge came out. I bought a new tach on ebay and it lives in that spot now. The air gauge is s little more inconvienent that it was, but I made sure that the low air buzzer and warning lights work properly.
 just my .$0.02 worth, but it works for me-complete tach installation with parts was about $75.00
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 05:19:50 AM by ChuckMC8 » Logged

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 09:10:59 AM »

I second Chuck's tach post. Now that I drive an auto (V730), it's more imperetive to know the revs... what gear I'm in when climbing and what the engine is doing. The trans will shift too soon (based upon throttle position and load, I guess), sometimes trying to pull grades down at 1400rpm in third locked or second locked. By watching the tach, I can pull it into the proper gear range to climb at 1700-1900rpms, partial throttle.

I wish there was a way to install a button to tell the tranny when to lockup. Getting lockup in first would be ideal for those steep, slow grades with twists, and make better use of my Jake in any gear.

Anyways, here's a shot of my dash. Starting at upper left is tranny & engine oil temps (has a selector switch for senders), tranny temp is under that, the ones obscured are the voltmeter and 2" air pressure gauge. On right is speedo, fuel, coolant temp. and tach. It's a nice gauge package, though I'd still like to install a pyro, esp. since my bus had N65's installed during its out-of-frame before I bought it. I've really have to keep an eye on the tailpipe in my left mirror.

Brian Brown
4108-216
Longmont, CO

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: