Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 04:17:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jake Brake  (Read 4681 times)
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2009, 06:09:08 PM »

Hello, I am new to this, so if this is the wrong place let me know. 

I recently purchased a 1983 Eagle S-10, 550 Detroit with a 6spd Allison.  On the trip back from Florida I noted that the Jake Brake switch was not activating the brake when turned on.  I called the previous owner after I got home and he told me that "it was possibly not working because of the new 6spd transmission that was recently installed" and this just doesn't seem right to me.

Anyone out there ever hear of this?

Thanks,

BCO

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 06:23:29 PM »

All of the 6 speed Allison World transmissions I have seen the Jake is wired into the tranny by way of a module. Take it to a dealer and make sure it is turn on from the engine    Good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 06:36:55 PM »

you can also check @                                                                             http://www.eaglesinternational.net/forum/index.php
 Good luck.Van
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 06:38:55 PM by van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 07:17:54 PM »

Thanks for the tip, I am trying to find a diesel shop in my area that might be considered reasonable, Detroit Diesel is really high.  I also checked out the Eagles board and attempted to sign up for that.

Thanks for the input guys.

BCO

PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 07:43:12 PM »

Welcome to the madness BCO. I can't help you with your question, but I'm sure as soon as the smarter guys log on you'll get all the answers you need. I do have a question of my own, however, what is a Detroit 550? Thanks, Will

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 02:51:28 AM »

I was told it was a "550" horse Detroit Diesel 8V that is all I know.  That, and if you hammer it down, it runs like a striped ........ well, it really gets after it.

BCO

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 05:51:43 AM »

We need a little more info on your bus Okie something is wrong with this setup if you have a v8 Detroit and a 6 speed transmission.Does your engine have a turbo on it. 
I ask only because I never saw a S- 10 Eagle with a V8 only 6V92TA also is yours a 35 or 40 ft    good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 06:19:07 AM »

Maybe the transmission is a 5 speed and they are counting lock-up as an additional shift.  Do you have a push button or lever to shift gears?  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 09:14:27 AM »

Jack- Allison has both push button and lever shift for the World Transmission.  The key is if it is an electronic shifter or a Stone Bennett electric or the Allison ATEC electronic shifter.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 09:34:58 AM »

Man, this thing trips me up.  I am not sure who it is that I am answering here.  It is an 8V and turbo-charged, the transmission is a push button and it has "6" speeds.  It is shiftable all the way down to #1 and it has digital read out on it, so if something is amiss, it will give you "program codes" and I have a book with the codes in it.

The engine is a recent out of frame rebuild with 41,450 miles, transmission has 11,000.  It is a 40 ft coach, single axle, to the best of my knowledge.  I suspect the Jake may be engaging on the coach, but if it is, the reduction (down speed) is minimal and I assume for mountain driving I am going to have to use third gear (or lower) and watch the braking, keep it down.

Thanks for your input fellas, it appears I made a good decision by joining this crowd.  I put up a somewhat humorous post on the otheEagle board about driving it home the other day, if you want to see it?

How do you answer just "one post at a time" I could use a little help on that too.

BCO

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 09:46:21 AM »

you are doing just fine, throw the answers into your one responce, we'll see them.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 10:00:05 AM »

How do you answer just "one post at a time" I could use a little help on that too.
BCO

Okie,

Just select the quote in the upper right above the individual post, then edit out (delete) anything in the quote that you are not responding too.

And welcome, between here and BNO you will find most if not all the answers.  Wink

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 10:25:31 AM »

So in other words, I just delete the above and then cast it to the winds!

My other computer is a broke down model too ......... this how it works?

Just select the quote in the upper right above the individual post, then edit out (delete) anything in the quote that you are not responding too.

And welcome, between here and BNO you will find most if not all the answers.  Wink

Cliff
[/quote]

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 10:27:06 AM »

The Ice Man's head melt-eth.

I think I have it.

BCO

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 10:39:58 AM »

Good job!

posting pictures is your next frontier...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: