Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 01:32:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jake Brake  (Read 5056 times)
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2009, 09:01:35 AM »

Okay okay.  Here is the deal on "Daddy's Hobby", the previous owner says it is an out of frame overhaul, 41,000/11,000 on the tranny, he says it is "550" horse turbo-charged and he said it was "40" ft long.

This being my first bus, I am proud to have it, enjoy it, have it paid for (no liens) and have been driving the fizz out of it.  All I know about it is or what I know about it, I have been told.  I started saving for this sucker in 1976, during that time I managed to put two boys thru college, pay off a three bedroom brick house and save up enough loose change to make this purchase.

I have been seriously "kicking tires" and driving around looking at these suckers for about a year and one-half before purchasing this one.  It will be in Goddard Kansas in September and I invite any and all to come look at it and form your own opinion of who, what, where, when and why.  Most of this is over my head (mechanically speaking) but that doesn't take away from the pure joy of looking at this beast and knowing that she is mine.

As I continue to improve upon it, dress it up, add the little bells and whistles, modify it to my needs and desires, I will share it with you.  That is what it is all about in my estimation, and of course, all that really matters.

Whadya think?

BCO

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2009, 09:17:03 AM »

Don, I am not trying to give you a bad time just trying to help you figure out what you have. The S10 is a great bus and yours spending most of it's life in CA and AZ it is probably a solid rust free bus.I will be at Bob Wards rally in Kansas and meet you sorry if I ticked you off    good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2009, 10:04:50 AM »

BCO,
    Ain't it a great feeling to look at that bus sittin there and know that it is all yours!!  It is YOUR baby.  And that is only when lookin' at it, now get behind the wheel drivin' it down the road, words can't describe that feeling.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2009, 10:18:32 AM »

Don, I am not trying to give you a bad time just trying to help you figure out what you have. The S10 is a great bus and yours spending most of it's life in CA and AZ it is probably a solid rust free bus.I will be at Bob Wards rally in Kansas and meet you sorry if I ticked you off    good luck

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo way, I am not ticked off, life is too short.  I appreciate all the comments and find them somewhat daunting at the moment, me being new to all this and the learning curve such as it might be.  I look forward to meeting you in September (sounds like an old Perry Como Dean Martin love ballad eh?) and we will hash it out and see what happens.  I sent Rusty an email about it today as a matter of fact.

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2009, 10:20:43 AM »

BCO,
    Ain't it a great feeling to look at that bus sittin there and know that it is all yours!!  It is YOUR baby.  And that is only when lookin' at it, now get behind the wheel drivin' it down the road, words can't describe that feeling.  Jack

Yeppers!  I don't have the best one out there, and it might lack this and that, but she's okay with me.  And in the final tally, that is all that really matters.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2009, 10:47:18 AM »

Let know about your travel plans several of us will going up I 35 through the City who knows maybe Jefferson will be going and we can all travel together You will like the Eagle rallies sorry you missed the one in Breaux Bridge   good luck

Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2009, 11:53:41 AM »

Ohhhhh! I remember ,let me see now.......yup definitely,next month will make it a year since we adopted our iggle,and I was most certainly ticked off(at my self really ).
How stupid could I have been,not doing the research before we traded our other baby away for a bus.As it turns out the engine went south ,! due to over heating issues ,bad fuel pump,etc.
In my search for answers (after the fact,of course)I finally ended up here(and things haven't been the same since LOL),got my answers,but boy it wasn't what I wanted to hear.
All the same, as of today we are in the gate and one step away to swapping engines,and resolving the issues,to which I am Extremely pleased about.
 I don't remember who's signature it was ,but went something like this"mony can't buy you happiness,but you can pull you can pull up along side it in a 40ft bus LOL.Van

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2009, 02:47:42 PM »

Let know about your travel plans several of us will going up I 35 through the City who knows maybe Jefferson will be going and we can all travel together You will like the Eagle rallies sorry you missed the one in Breaux Bridge   good luck

I am not sure if you are responding to me or not, so here goes.  We live south of OKC in Norman (just outside the city) and I am not sure when we will be leaving and all that.  But that would be a good deal, perhaps we can all get together and make it happen.

Now I have something else. 

I called the previous owner of the coach today in Arizona and he said, "when I had the engine rebuilt I asked them to install the largest set of injectors they could get into it.  This made it "500" horse."  So I was WRONG it is a 500 horse rebuilt Detroit 8VRTA92  something or rather

I had it wrong, but you guys, (a lot of you guys) had it right.  So take two atta boys outta petty cash for a job well done.  When I get a chance and I think about it, I will "step it off" and figure out if it is 35 or 40 ft long.  My money is on the later.

Remember all those who sacrificed so much, so that you might enjoy what you have this day.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2009, 03:15:10 PM »

Don, it is a 40 footer according to the serial number you posted on the Eagle board      good luck

Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2009, 06:05:42 PM »

As long as you wake up in the middle of the night once in a while, wondering what the hell you've gotten yourself into, you can still claim to be a somewhat sane man!  HE! HE!  Welcome to the madness!
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2009, 06:48:17 AM »

My 10S is 40 feet. You can tell it is 40 feet if you have 4 bays, the ones in front of the drive are one piece doors instead of bi-fold. These were where the A/C condensors were located. This is one advantage of the 10S to have an extra bay.

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
cody

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2009, 07:02:13 AM »

Welcome to the insanity, I often wonder what I'm doing with a bus too but I worked a long time to get it and like yours it's paid for and doesn't really take up much space, I don't know which end is the business end of a wrench but i'm trying and with the help of the guys here I may even learn something, you'll be fine.  As long as mine fires up and runs I'm happy, My wife  see's it more as an excuse for me to not be underfoot around the house and I'm ok with that.  I kinda enjoy making sawdust and it gives me a reason to pile up some sawdust from time to time and nail a couple of 2x4's together.
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2009, 02:10:17 PM »

My 10S is 40 feet. You can tell it is 40 feet if you have 4 bays, the ones in front of the drive are one piece doors instead of bi-fold. These were where the A/C condensors were located. This is one advantage of the 10S to have an extra bay.

From everything I can figure, it is a 40ft and capable of leaping curbs on the right side at a single bound!  Moved a rock with it in Alabama on one trip, which did not make me a lot of friends.  I took out a power pole in LA once, which effectively ended my trucking career.  But I am getting a lot better.

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2009, 02:14:50 PM »

Welcome to the insanity, I often wonder what I'm doing with a bus too but I worked a long time to get it and like yours it's paid for and doesn't really take up much space, I don't know which end is the business end of a wrench but i'm trying and with the help of the guys here I may even learn something, you'll be fine.  As long as mine fires up and runs I'm happy, My wife  see's it more as an excuse for me to not be underfoot around the house and I'm ok with that.  I kinda enjoy making sawdust and it gives me a reason to pile up some sawdust from time to time and nail a couple of 2x4's together.

It is not the best investment I ever made but it is the most enjoyable (most of the time) and it does keep me out of the beer joints and honky-tonks so I guess it evens out.  My wife doesn't understand it at all, but then again, I cannot get a handle on Dancin With The Stars or Paula Deen, so I guess we have hit a uneasy peace.

I established a new webpage for it over the weekend, you can find it here, http://Okiebuslover.wordpress.com check it out.

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2009, 12:34:07 PM »

EVERYBODY!  Read that web page.  Ya gotta read that web page....but.....go pee first.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: