Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 11:20:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: drill bits  (Read 4409 times)
bergdoll

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2006, 07:16:05 PM »

got my air problem taken care of & am reframing/skinning & i must have got the worst drill bits on the planet? HOME DEPOT SUCKS! the de walt center points seem to work for a while, but i can't sharpen them. the blue mol's really suck, i had 1 snap in half on the 2nd hole! & the harbor freight won't even drill a hole from the start, once it hits the mild steel!
i've got about 2,000 holes to drill for my 1/4" rivets & i need some good drill bits...i do understand that i need quite a few & i have the "drill doctor" bit sharpener (118 degree) that seems to put a point on them but it does not seem to last. i am not drilling at that high of speed. any info/help/suggestions out there? please only reply if you know about this.
                                                                       thanks
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 07:41:55 PM by bergdoll » Logged

1982 Prevost Champion/Marathon under construction...
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 09:16:58 PM »

bergdoll,

First, Buy your drill bits from McMaster and Carr, go online and do a search, you'll find them. you will have your bits the next day!!!

Second, When drilling hard metals, try and stop every 3 seconds and you will see how much faster you can drill the hole.

I can personally tell you I have drilled 270 holes, through 22 ga. stainless, with the same 3/16" bit. [without sharpening]

Yes, on my bus!!

Hope this Helps
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 09:25:53 PM »

Bosch

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 09:45:52 PM »

If drilling SS go slowly and use lubricant..bits will last a lot longer...from experience

Cawston, British Columbia
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 10:18:21 PM »

Grainger is also a good source. I use cobalt bits at work to drill through hardened piano hinges. I think you would get good service from them. Do not overheat the bit! Keeping it cool by using a slower speed or a lubricant will make them last a long time.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
mikeH8H-649

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 02:58:01 AM »

bergdoll   I have drilled 2800+1/4 holes in my bus and riveted I used everything from the $2.50 blu mold to the $7.00 cobalts and found as long as I drilled slow and steady pressure it went fine,I did end up buying a larger quanity from mcmaster carr but they did not do any better or worse,I burnt up a lot of bits before I got used to it and then no problem,on another note the 1/4 air rivet gun from harbor freight for under $100 has installed 2800+ shave head and mono bolt rivets with no problem just make sure to add a few drops of air tool oil every few hundred rivets or so,hope this helps,fyi FSI rivets that advertise in bus conv mag are about half the price of any one else I found and I only found that after my first 2000 rivets saved almost $280 on my last 1000 rivets hope this helps Mike
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 04:49:50 AM »

I put over 2500 rivets into my bus. I hand sharpened my bits, and learned to put a split point on with a 6" bench grinder. I've since purchased a drill doctor that has selectable angle (118* and I think 123*) and will do split points. It's way better than my hand sharpening. The only thing I don't like about it is trying to sharpen short bits (e.g. broken bits).

If your drill doctor will do split points, use it.

I used mostly Vermont American bits from Menard's. I think I had something from Home Depot, also, but can't recall the brand.
Standard bits. Not Cobalt or TIN. Just good quality high speed steel bits. Use even pressure (not heavy pressure) and relax every 3 seconds or so to break and clear chips.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 05:01:12 AM »

Cobalt bits are harder, but break much easier.  I use the Titanium-Nitrile. I foiund the key to drilling in SS is to use a very slow drill speed and stop often. If you use a fast drill speed for even a few seconds, the drill bit gets very hot and the SS hardens making it even more difficult to drill after you throw away the drill bit you just ruined. I use firm, not hard, pressure on my cordless drill (has a slower speed than my corded drills). I squeeze the trigger, then almost immediately release the trigger. when the drill stops, pull the trigger again, then almost immediately release, etc. This keeps the bit and the SS from getting hot. I also use a cutting/tapping oil.  YMMV  Hope this helps, Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 05:13:47 AM »

I would highly recommend you go to a local supplier and purchase a can of RapidTap. Although the name indicates it is for tapping, I found that it significantly speeds up drilling holes also. I used to buy it in one gallon cans because we did so much drilling and tapping. Almost eliminated breaking of drills and taps and these items lasted much longer.

One advantage of this product is that it evaporates rapidly and leaves no oily film. Although most of our drilling was in the 10/32 screw size, up to 1/4 inch, it also worked like magic while drilling 3/4 inch and larger holes in steel beams.

Unfortunately I do not own any stock in the company, but I can guarantee that you will be happy with it.

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 08:30:04 AM »

I too, like Jack Conrad, found the start and stop method of drilling in stainless works very well.  way faster tahn drilling a constant slow speed.  way faster than drilling at a ligher rpm as Jack described.  I used this method for 4" holes and they cut qucikly.  I don't want to say how many drills and hole saws I went through before I discovered this method.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 05:43:25 PM »

Home Depot/Lowes/Harbor frieght bits are for drilling soft wood. Mcmaster Carr, Grangers, are good choices for buying bits. Tin are good for general metal drilling, Cobalt are best for stainless steel.  As mentioned slow or start and stop is best. If you try to drill at a high speed you are grinding away the metal and not cutting it, getting the drill bit too hot and burning it. The metal should be coming out in a "string" not little tiny chips. A lubricant is a must, there are many out there, Drill Chill is one, there are many available, do not use WD40 it will help, but is like washing your clothes with shampoo, just not the right product.
 I have never been able to sharpen a bit by hand, I bought a Drill Doctor it has paid for itself. When I was doing my roof raise, I carried 4 drill bits with me, replaced them as they dulled, and then stopped and sharpened all of them at the same time.
                                                                        Work?/Play safely Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 07:35:10 PM »

Bergdog,
I hope you will not mind me putting in my 2 cents here also.  I have been drilling holes for quite some time, in some cases right into welded areas and you know what a bummer that can be.  The product I use now in place of Rapidtap is "Westlube".  It is special for SS & very hard metals and I swear by it.  Order one bottle of it to try out, you will see it is $$ well spent. 

Go to www.westlandproducts.com, you can call them and order right over the phone to try out this product.  You will get many, many holes per drill if you lube the drill before the use on each hole.  Just dip the drill bit in the stuff and turn it on, you will be amazed.  If it starts to slow up drilling, dip it again.  In SS use your drill in half speed if not less,  SS is a bummer no matter what but very possible with this stuff. 

Hope this helps.

Gary

Gary
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 07:37:12 PM »

Sorry, I meant to address my previous post reply to "Bergdoll" and not Bergdog!!  DAhhhhh 
Gary

Gary
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 08:22:31 PM »

Gary, you have the capability of going in and modifying your message very easily. I typically have to go back a couple of times to try and correct grammatical errors or spelling errors. Course I am just a dumb redneck hillbilly so I make lots of them. LOL
Richard

Sorry, I meant to address my previous post reply to "Bergdoll" and not Bergdog!!  DAhhhhh 
Gary

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Clarke Echols

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 09:18:06 PM »

Use cobalt split-point bits.  I got mine from W.W. Grainger.  Use a cutting oil that is compatible with the material you're drilling.  I got a half-gallon of metal-cutting oil from a local screw-machine company.  You could also contact a machine shop in your area.

Keep the bits COOL!  I used a small container for the oil and kept it close to the ladder (a hanger of some sort is helpful).  Dip the tip of the bit into the oil and  drill.  When smokes starts to curl out of the hole, stop, dip again and continue.  I got a dozen 3/16" bits and drilled many many hundreds of holes before taking them to a bit sharpening service to have them resharpened.

Clarke
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: