Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 08:33:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuck 2 carrier aircon units on the roof of our bus...pics  (Read 5866 times)
bigtim44

Red buses go faster!

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2006, 08:37:19 PM »

Our bus finally has 2 ugly white boxes stuck on the roof.Took most of last sunday to frame the hatches and skin them over.Still have the wiring,insulation and interior wood to do.Here's outside.

Here's inside

There's more write up and pics here http://redbusconversion.blogspot.com/

Basalt Colorado
1986 TMC 102A3,6V92,Auto 740,conversion in progress.
http://redbusconversion.blogspot.com/
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 08:48:34 PM »

Nice Job bigtim44,

Now it's time to use your bus....No excuses,  May as well go to Disney, your bus is...LOL

I like that RED too....

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 09:26:58 PM »

Paint them red also!  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
bigtim44

Red buses go faster!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 09:35:56 PM »

Yeah... the red paint is kinda bright  Grin I was thinking about putting some stick on graphics over the red to break it up,a buddy of mine can lazer cut them up to 20 ft long.I race a 1930 model A up at bonneville so I could go with the hotrod theme and put some kind of flames on it.

Basalt Colorado
phil4501

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 10:26:04 PM »

Hey Bigtim, What class do you race?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 10:28:26 PM by phil4501 » Logged
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 04:03:09 AM »

Looks greatTim! It made a huge difference in my bus when I could plug  it up an run the roof airs. Of course, its da humidity here in hot 'lanta thats the killer.
BTW, You and I are in the minority with a set of bunk beds also. If you click on my profile and check my photo page, you can see how mine turned out.   Chuck Lott Douglasville Ga

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 04:53:37 AM »

Yeah... the red paint is kinda bright  Grin I was thinking about putting some stick on graphics over the red to break it up,a buddy of mine can lazer cut them up to 20 ft long.I race a 1930 model A up at bonneville so I could go with the hotrod theme and put some kind of flames on it.

Hey bigtim.  That would look awesome!  Personally, I don't think the air units look that bad...  Beats the heck out of burning up.  Plus, most normal people are not going to look at the top of the bus and say, "he shouldn't have put those ugly air conditioners up there." 

Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 05:21:35 AM »

I also have no objection to the appearance of rooftop A/C's. I painted mine the same color of the roof and I did not feel they were objectionable. I really did not want my coach to look like an over the road bus.  Roll Eyes

One suggestion I would make would to make provisions to add a third unit in the center of the coach. I found that several times I would have liked to have the additional cooling a third unit could provide. It could then be added at a later date with little or no trouble.

Richard

Hey bigtim.  That would look awesome!  Personally, I don't think the air units look that bad...  Beats the heck out of burning up.  Plus, most normal people are not going to look at the top of the bus and say, "he shouldn't have put those ugly air conditioners up there." 

Jimmy

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
prevosman

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 05:29:52 AM »

If you intend to use the coach when it is hot outside you may want to consider adding the third unit now. All professional conversions use 3 on 40 foot coaches and 4 on 45 foot coaches. I can tell you that on a typical hot day in the mid south two units might get the inside of the coach down to the mid to high 80's.

Jon Wehrenberg
Knoxville TN
1997 Prevost Liberty
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 07:11:06 AM »

I agree with Rauchy. I have three roof airs evenly spaced with the front one and back one like yours, and one in the middle.  While haven't had to use all three much (only when the temp is above 100), typically will use the front and back for going down the road and the middle in camp.  Nice to have the choice and the extra if needed.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
bigtim44

Red buses go faster!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 07:20:58 AM »

I've been thinking about the 3rd AC unit,I guess nows the time to frame another hole in the roof and provide wiring,even if I don't actually put an AC up there right now...makes sense.

Basalt Colorado
phil4501

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 08:13:42 AM »

Yeah, yeah get the third A/C.

What class do you race at bonneville?
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 08:26:20 AM »

Nice bus, I like yor destination sign.

Probably too late now, but there is a big difference in appreace between the carrier low profiles and the regualr ones.  The low profiles look a lot better and work the same.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
prevosman

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 08:28:34 AM »

Forgive me if I am stating the obvious or something you have already considered, but one of the things that new (store bought) conversion owners have a hard time with is energy management.

Now is the time to also give real serious consideration to what devices you will put on the two legs of your electrical panel. While it is possible to easily run all 3 AC units on campground 50 amp service, you have to consider what loads for other devices you will have on at the same time (such as refrigerator or inverter/chargers). Most new owners think because they have 50 amps available to their coach they can run everything, but the reality is that they may be only powering the hot water tank and battery charging in the evening when they can get comfortable with one or two AC units.

Typically I see the front and rear AC on separate circuits so while you are running only those two, or maybe just the center one, then you can throw on all the other devices.

Jon Wehrenberg
Knoxville TN
1997 Prevost Liberty
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 08:35:20 AM »

Campground 50 amp service is 240 volts at 50 amps. This is equivalent to a 12,000 watt (12KW) genset. This gives you two legs of 50 amps at 120 volts. I think it would be really hard to utilize that much power at any one time. Possibly some all electric coaches might use this much but I seriously doubt it.
Richard

Forgive me if I am stating the obvious or something you have already considered, but one of the things that new (store bought) conversion owners have a hard time with is energy management.

Now is the time to also give real serious consideration to what devices you will put on the two legs of your electrical panel. While it is possible to easily run all 3 AC units on campground 50 amp service, you have to consider what loads for other devices you will have on at the same time (such as refrigerator or inverter/chargers). Most new owners think because they have 50 amps available to their coach they can run everything, but the reality is that they may be only powering the hot water tank and battery charging in the evening when they can get comfortable with one or two AC units.

Typically I see the front and rear AC on separate circuits so while you are running only those two, or maybe just the center one, then you can throw on all the other devices.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: