Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 14, 2017, 07:20:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Easy air drain lanyard  (Read 4106 times)
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 12:17:40 PM »

They are nice to have on your air commpressors in your shop too!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 12:52:48 PM »

If it matters to some readers, MCI's correct term for this "ping tank" we speak of is "discharge muffler".

The discharge muffler is mounted shortly after the compressor and gathers some of the moisture and oil blow-by from the compressor before it goes any deeper into the air system.

Since it is mounted quite close, it does not catch all of the moisture, since it gets warmed up and condensation does not occur as readily.

It's main claim to fame is to muffle the impulses of the compressor that might otherwise be transmitted and amplified by the long run of pipe under the floor from back to front, making that noise noticeable to the occupants of the vehicle.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 04:53:15 PM »

BW, thanks for the info. That helps.

God bless,

John

Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 08:02:19 AM »

Thanks BW, I have never noticed one on by coach , was it standard equipment on all MCI's?

Grant

Have Fun!!
Grant
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 08:53:37 AM »

The discharge muffler is mounted on or about the back side of the tag axle inner fender inside the side engine access door, curb side.

Look at Jack's picture up a few posts to align these words with some hardware.

I have seen all manner of drain plumbing for these, as it appears many fleet owners made modifications, or their mechanics did, at various points, some mangling or re-alignment of the mounting done no doubt at compressor or compressor outlet hose change time. Also, the large outhouse air-powered drain was mounted fairly close, the regular drop through drain was there, so maintenance space wasn't great.

It may have been removed by some previous owner, who may have been more concerned with the financial end of coach repairs, rather than the function. If the commercial life of the coach is measured in months, as they are at the third tier, pretty much anything goes for minimum maintenance outlay...

Popularly, some method of airing the coach up by way of a shop air fitting is tee'd in, some have the copper drain piping extended through the floor so the oily drain mess goes only on the toes of your shoes, instead of spraying on the shins of your pants.

The muffler itself may have slight variations in proportion, but you can see in execution, it is just a fatter place on the line to interrupt the flow, for any noise and debris to swirl a little and the debris to fall out into the bottom.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Fredward

2000 Country Coach Magna (not a bus)

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 10:52:07 AM »

I retrofitted the three main tanks on my -5 with the lanyard style because unless its over a pit, you can't reach any of the water drains on those tanks. I get quite a bit of moisture out of the wet tank (ahead of the rear axle) and some moisture periodically out of the next tank in line, I forget what its called, up behind the front axle and no moisture from the other front tank. Then there is an auxiliary tank I think for the air horns and door latch thats located under the driver's left foot. Thats easy to get at but always dry.

My only complaint on the lanyard style is after three years the one on the wet tank started to hang open a little bit and so I replaced it.

Fred

Fred Thomson
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: