Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 10:13:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: California smog rules coming up  (Read 4726 times)
TomC

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2009, 10:30:12 PM »

I know that there are only a few of you in California.  But what I found is that if you have a conversion (a vehicle that did not start out as an RV) then you'll be subject to both truck and bus smog regulations coming up.  With a single vehicle of 1975 or newer, your good till 2014 when you'll have to update to a 2010 engine.  The exception to this is if you put less than 7,500 miles a year on your vehicle, then you can extend that out till 2021.  So maybe a simple toggle switch in the speedo feed?  There are some counties in California that are not affected by this, or have a different schedule.  Check with the ARB website.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 10:36:10 PM »

Hmmmmm. . .

Since mine's a 1964, I guess I'm exempt???

Huh Huh

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 12:14:24 AM »

Is this for the whole US or just California? M&C

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
TomNPat

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 03:07:13 AM »

Isn't it interesting that a state that can't pay it's bills is continuing along a path to ruin it's tax base even more than it has already?

They've spent more than they've taken in every year since Schwarznegger took over.  If they had increased spending to match inflation and population growth (both, not just one), they would have a surplus right now.  Why did we get rid of Gray Davis?  Are we all pleased by a brogue?   No, we just have believed what the 'news' told us!  There is no 'news' media, they are just pawns, good looking, but just pawns.  "Hey, California, I'm a Pretty Guy, and you should believe what I say!"    Fabian Nunez is a great guy who is TOTALLY HONEST, HAS THE TAXPAYERS BEST INTEREST AT HEART, AND WANTS OUR STATE TO EXCEL!  In his camp are the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and, quite possibly, Santa Claus!  Contact me offline for ocean front property in Kansas if you belive any of the preceding information.

The answer is to vote against anyone who now holds public office until they 'get it'.  Most of us fools like our state assemblyman and senator!  In turn they like us because we vote for them.  As soon as we don't vote for them, then they'll have to make some changes.  Among those are a change in who actually controls the direction our state goes.  Right now we're being ruled by environmental wackos who really detest the US and want it to fail, detest capitalism and want it to fail, and detest freedom and want us to lose it.

Are your in Office Now?  You're out!  NEXT!!!

When we stop overspending bureaucrats, control the anti American sentiment, start learning based on scientific method rather than 'the sky is falling' mentality, and stop the attitude that payroll is not an expense, we will be a 'leading' state.  Until then, you guys in the other states tell your leaders that California is not the model you see as succesful!

Apparently eleven states automatically adopt the environmental rules adopted by California!  If you live in one of those, see the paragraph above the begins "The answer is to vote against anyone who now holds public office..."    

I Pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, One Nation Under God, with Liberty and Justice for all.  What a revealing statement!  What innovative thought!  What wonderful sentiment!  What other American utterance more accurately depicts the founding principles of our nation?  What American utterance has more frequently been stomped on by the minority in our nation?  The Flag?  Burned, defiled, stomped on, hung upside down, hung below the Mexican flag, etc.  

One Nation, Under God is a basis for our country.  But, We are guaranteed freedom OF religion.  The people who object to this read it as freedom FROM religion.  So, we shouldn't say 'Under God' because their rights are violated!  They are an extreme minority in the US.  Majority rule runs the republic.  But, they want the majority to allow them to win.  Only a fool would allow that to happen.

"Politically Correct" allows the minority to decide whether what I say is accurate, valuable, and worth considering.  Let's quit being "POLITICALLY CORRECT"!

TomNPat
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 05:24:06 AM »

The entire nation will be adopting California emissions or a version of.  One emssions standard will be better for car manufacturers as they no longer need to make a different vehicle for some states.

I hope this is for light vehicles only as I could never afford to replace my Series 60 with a 2010 DD15.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Hobie

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 05:27:21 AM »

2 years ago I called the State Air Resources Board asking how long 2 stroke diesels in RV's would be exempt from emissions regulations.  His answer was simply, " ...soon nothing will be exempt ......diesels are dirty."  

Very powerful agency staffed by non elected folks.  

So, I guess its time to consider registering out of state.  Or flip that speedo switch!  And start measuring for a large exhaust particulate filter and prepare for annual tests.

By the way,  a lawmaker here recently proposed a new GPS device fitted to every vehicle to charge a per-mile tax.  Shot down... for now but with the States current financial situation these guys are grasping for any money they can.   I know we already pay a fuel tax per gallon and this is designed to raise new money without catching heat for raising the fuel tax.  

Agreed that these policies and thinking drive industry away.   They won't be able to call California the, " the Golden State" much longer.
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 07:46:27 AM »

Two comments and not trying to stir anything up.
First, the courts are starting to rule against some of the measures Callyfornia, (actually the city of Los Angeles) has tried to put into place concerning the stuff they are trying to put in place at the ports that would eliminate older trucks.
Second, it was said in an article the other day that this financial crisis in Callyfonia is so bad that when it shakes out it might not be as tree hugging and liberal as in the past...that folks are starting to look at the cost of some of this tree hugging crap!
Now let me say...I am for the environment...I do not think a 20 gallon diesel fuel spill should cost $20,000.00 (Twenty Thousand) to clean up.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 07:46:54 AM »

Hey Tom, could you post a specific link to that topic on ARB? It's a very large website and I poked around for a while, no luck finding it...

As time goes on I'm happier that I have a 1962 Crown! Until they decide to outlaw anything old... Smiley

Gary

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Airbag

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 08:20:14 AM »

1965 MC5, smokes like a Meschersmitt  Grin
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 08:23:30 AM »

The important fact here is that all of our conversions come under the rule of a commercial bus-since that's what the vehicle started life out as-even though you may have it registered as a motorhome now.  I will post the link later.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 09:15:13 AM »

If upheld, that would represent a major change in the law.  In every other way, the law views them as RV motorhomes or "housecars" if they are titled that way.

Here is a link to the ARB site:  http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm

But after about 15 minutes looking through it I couldn't find anything relating to that.  I look forward to a link direct to that topic.

But I suspect that by 2014 California will be considerably different.  Either they will have changed their priorities or they will be so broke they would immediately cave in if taken to court on it.
loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 09:21:18 AM »

Isn't it interesting that a state that can't pay it's bills is continuing along a path to ruin it's tax base even more than it has already?

TomNPat
If someone could post the link that would be cool.  I'm not sure where I will fit.  The PO bought the shell as a glider in Germany and had it converted in Oregon.  I'm not sure it was never licensed as a bus anywhere.

It will be interesting to see how California negotiates its problems.  We moved to CA from KS and have on the whole, liked the fact that Californians want to help everybody.  13 years ago when we moved everybody said, "taxes are going to kill you".  Our overall tax bill was so much cheaper that we paid for our move out of the savings. I have lived in IA or IL and it would have been the same story from those states.

CA's current problems are based on Prop 13.  For the non CA residents, Prop 13 limits property taxes for longtime residents.  In some cases to the tune of 10's of thousands of dollars per year.  Not only that once you reach a certain age you can transfer the low tax base to another property.

Property taxes are what states use to smooth out the ups and downs of income and sales taxes.  Warren Buffett was on Arnie's first election team until he said Prop 13 as it is written will kill the state.

Anyway off topic.

Mike

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
Airbag

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 10:23:42 AM »

I am in favor of prop 13. I have a friend that has a 100+ acre ranch right in the middle of a big city. It has been in his family since the 1800's. Why should he have to move? Prop 13 has inabled him to keep it.
The state will get there money if it ever sells. My two cents.
Kevin Warnock

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 10:41:14 AM »

I just phoned the Diesel hotline at the California Air Resources Board at 1-866-6DIESEL (or 1-866-634-3735). I asked if my Housecar was subject to the new diesel regulations. He asked what I meant by Housecar. I said I had a commercial bus that had been converted to a motorhome and that I believed the official registration designation for my vehicle currently is the word Housecar. He said that the regulations do not apply to motorhomes.

While this is not exactly a statement that the new rules don't apply to me, it sure is close since I described my situation accurately and he strongly suggested the rules don't apply to me. I specifically said 'commercial bus' twice.

Since I have posted the actual California hotline phone number, perhaps everyone reading this could call them and ask and post the answer here. I really believe the rules are unlikely to apply to us since buying a new engine will cost more than many of us can afford, and we don't have customers to pass the cost along to. How much is a brand new engine swap anyway? $70K?
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 10:47:21 AM »

I'm glad that it only costs me $48 a year to tax and license my bus. Living in Nebraska does have some advantages. Our state government is required by constitution to be fiscally responsible and they do have a surplus at the moment for a rainy day. Our gas taxes are some of the highest however. Fortunately we have also been able to escape some of this rediculous stuff that migrates out of the west coast. I've heard from some trucker buddies that California is also trying to require what they call a "green tire" for all over the road commercial trucks that enter their state. I'll bet that turns into a fiasco. Later

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: