Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 02:33:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Muffler  (Read 3512 times)
Blacksheep

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 07:20:16 PM »

Went out to dinner tonight with some bus nut friends and we were comparing notes on this problem. What we did was back stepped from when I bought the bus all the way to the present.

Thinking of all the things that I am used to such as knowing how much throttle I usually have to give it, rpm's, fuel mileage etc.. Susan reminded me that when I picked the bus up from the most recent service work that was done, I had commented on how much power it had. I DO remember saying that after I brought it home as she was following me. She also noted that it didn't smoke as much THAT day on the way home. Ok at that time, it had the same new muffler thatit has now so that kind of eliminates that as the culprit. ONLY item that was changed since the service work was the air filter in which I purchased and installed. It was only noted that after installing the new air filter that it became sluggish and began to smoke more and more on acceleration. Once it goes thru all the gears it's Katy bar the door! Ever since the original purchase I NEVER have had to floor the pedal to get it up to speed. NOW I do, and looking for more pedal to even go thru the gears. It moves, but ever so slowly up to speed!

Another thing I have noticed is more black smoke on take off. Could be lack of or not enough air? Again, pointing to the air filter! Also noting engine temps during day when ambient temps are the hottest, the bus seems to be running slightly hotter which is around 190 plus where as before it ALWAYS ran 180 and maybe 185 up hill all read from the dash gauge. Could lack of or not enough air cause for a slight over heating problem? Again, pointing towards the air filter!

I don't see any leaks from the exhaust pipe going TO and FROM the turbo nor do I see any leaks in or around the muffler, it's pipe, or ANY of the exhaust system. A leak WILL and should show pretty easy! All clamps are new as is the entire system.

This weekend I will be installing a filter gauge that I bought last year at the rally and compare the new filter to the old which I still have to see if there is any difference. Even though the new air filter I installed is for a Prevost, could it be the wrong one? It looked identical to the one I removed!

I might just have to take and replace the new filter for the old one and take it out for spin to see hear and feel if there is any difference!

This is just like a person swinging a 16 oz hammer day after day for years and then picking up a 20 oz hammer. You know right away something is different although the change is very little!

I will post results when I get more info...

Ace
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 08:49:12 PM »

Ace,

Your filter idea seems likely.  Did you install that boost gage yet? 

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 04:53:17 PM »

The air filter wasn't wrapped in clear shrinkwrap, was it? Shocked
Just kidding. Hope you get to the bottom of the problem and it's nothing serious.
Good luck and please let us know what you determine, Thanks, Will

Blacksheep

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 06:37:18 PM »

Thanks for asking! I have not checked the turbo boost yet! I was down to the shop and spoke with the mechanic and he advised me to use my pro-link to check it. Duh! Forgot I could do that! I might try that tomorrow.
I DID install my air filter gauge that connects to the air tube pre turbo. I also put the old filter in and after starting the bus and running, it showed good air flow. I removed it and installed the new filter and it measured the same! I was hoping for a significant difference but looks like I will look further for what MAY be problem and what may not be!

Ace
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 10:26:21 PM »

I DID install my air filter gauge that connects to the air tube pre turbo. I also put the old filter in and after starting the bus and running, it showed good air flow. I removed it and installed the new filter and it measured the same! I was hoping for a significant difference but looks like I will look further for what MAY be problem and what may not be!

Ace

I am sure you meant the following but just to make sure that
after starting the bus and running, it showed good air flow
....was during acceleration and high speed driving (70s)

Make sure there is no leaks in the pre exhaust turbo pipe as well intake air after turbo to cylinder head.

Otherwise...sound like the turbo is not up to par.

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
roger dolan

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 07:27:23 PM »

A good idea is to have a little test track so that if you do something different it helps or hinders you. I have streach of road about 1/2 mile slightley up hill that I try the bus on perodicaly, I try to have it warmed up the same ever time and let it shift by itself this will give some idea of performance.

Roger 4106
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 11:44:44 PM »

My "low Ace alarm" has gone off. Huh  How goes the quest for the lost HP?  These are like Nancy Drew novels.....just can't put them down. Grin

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Blacksheep

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2009, 04:57:23 AM »

Haven't researched it any further. I am planning to take it back to my friends shop and let them do what they do best!

Ace
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: