Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 09:38:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: washer/dryer combo  (Read 2821 times)
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2006, 08:40:25 AM »

Ok,

I bought a combination washer and dryer unit a couple of years ago and it never worked right.  It washed fine, but it took hours to dry the clothes.  I bought it from Wal-Mart.com.

I took it back after a couple of days and got a stackable with washer on bottom and dryer on top. It worked great. 

I looked at a bus that had the combo unit.  I was wondering if any of you have a combo washer/dryer and if it works ok or did I just have a bad unit.

Thanks,
Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Frank @ TX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 09:29:37 AM »

Jimmy,
We have a combo unit, and think it works great.
The unit is a vented dryer type.  I hear that the non vented ones are slow with the dry cycle.
I put a 4" aluminum conduit thru the floor and thru the bay below then right outside.
So, it exhausts straight down, no turns or twists.
The unit is about 3/4 the size or our house washer so it can't hold as much.
Frank
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 10:31:06 AM »

Thanks Frank.  The one I had was unvented.  Must've been the problem.

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 01:25:44 PM »

I have the non vented and yes it takes a long time to dry the clothes.  Typically we'll let it dry for an hour then take them out with the clothes still damp, hang them on hangers and hang them from the overhead cabinets overnight.  Inconvenient, yes! Do they use extra water because of the condensating drying cycle-yes.  Would get a non vented washer again- no!  So if you can, get a vented dryer and it should work right.  If I remember right when I bought my washer/dryer, they only offered the non-vented in a narrower cabinet, while the vented was 24" deep.  Now, I think they offer a vented one that is also less deep like my non-vented.  So at least now you have a choice of machine depths.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 02:03:48 PM »

I have read several posts in the past regarding this and the consensus of opinion was that it the units were 120 volt only, they would take an extremely long time to dry clothes. Apparently some are also available wired for 240 volts which significantly improves drying time.

However, you must wire your coach for 240 volts it you desire to use one of these. Not impossible, however it could be inconvenient it all the electrical has been completed.

We generally carried our laundry in a laundry bag and drove around wherever we were stopping until we found a Laundromat.

Richard

Ok,

I bought a combination washer and dryer unit a couple of years ago and it never worked right.  It washed fine, but it took hours to dry the clothes.  I bought it from Wal-Mart.com.

I took it back after a couple of days and got a stackable with washer on bottom and dryer on top. It worked great. 

I looked at a bus that had the combo unit.  I was wondering if any of you have a combo washer/dryer and if it works ok or did I just have a bad unit.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 03:26:32 PM »

It seems to me that it might be a good idea to use a stackable set with a gas dryer.  They are available in 24" wide from several manufacturers.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 09:12:59 PM »

Considering how many times a week you may use the washer (what maybe 2 or 3?), having a stack is going to take twice the room as an all in one. Besides, the space that would be taken by the dryer is our hamper and soap storage for the washer/dryer.  Just a thought.  Good Luck, TomC

plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 09:22:22 PM »

Greetings,

We have a vented combo unit.  I think that the small capacity of the combo unit is more of an issue than the length of time it takes to dry something.    We are limited I think to 3 large beach towels, or something like that.   Do the stackable units have more capacity?   Drying speed is OK.  However, all in all, we really like having the washer / dryer unit in our bus.  Too much time spent in laundromats over the years.   Undecided

Best Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Frank @ TX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 06:34:55 AM »

Combo units
Just some spec's you may find interesting.
The spin cycle of the washer helps the dryer do a better job.
The washer spins at 1100 to 1200 RMP for a longer time than the home units spin.
This makes the clothes hardly damp to the touch , in fact you couldn't wring a drop out by hand.
It's true the dryer is only 110 Volts but there's not much water to drive off.
We do 2 queen size sheets and pillow cases in a load.
We run it 3 to 4 times a week ( we're in work mode now ).
As I said the combo is only about 3/4 the size of home units, but the time it saves is huge.
Hope this helps
Frank
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 05:31:50 AM »

We have the Splendide washer/dryer combo unvented.

I bought it as a one year old takeout.

Washes great and Dries 90%.

The clothes have to be hung to dry or what my wife does is wash three(1/2 home unit) loads and then throw them all in the dryer at the park.

Done in one cycle.

I have it built inside the coach, but since i am still under construction we have decided to put it in the basement and regain the space it takes up.

That plan was preceded by it leaking a little when not perfectly level and not something I want to deal with once my interior is done

I paid $400.00 fo mine as a take out, not worth the $1200.00 new price in my opinion.

Takes alot of quarters and inconvience to get a payback. Grin

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 09:21:38 AM »

Cliff- just a thought.  But if you're in rainy weather and it is inconvenient to do touring that day, it would be perfect for a laundry day.  But with the washer/dryer in the basement...?  Good Luck, TomC

rip

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 10:48:35 AM »

We have a Bosch stack washer/dryer,220v and it works great.We full time and my wife insisted on teh 220 dryer.It takes alittle more room,but I feel it was a good trade off.Almost the same size as a a home unit.   Don
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 12:51:55 PM »

Don, if you could, please show us a pic of your combination installation.  It's one of those items that the wife is pushing for in our re-conversion and if at all possible I'd like to accomodate here.  She's got a handicap and I don't look forward to going to the Helpy-Selfy twice a week. Wink

Thanks,  Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Beatenbo

1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 05:57:08 PM »

I put a Splendide vented in my last bus. Price wise it's a joke, worked fine, if you just need to wash 2 sets of underware at one time.  We talked about a stacked unit for this bus but we put in an extra bunk room for guest or grandkids and no space. My consider a larger unit in the basement.
rip

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 03:54:47 AM »

Bob; Sorry it so long to respond back. We travell full time so sometimes it is hard to keep in contact.We are at an rv park that has wi-fi so write me at rip3017@juno.com and I will try and answer any questions. I don't think a picture would help you.All it would show would be the dryer ontop of the washer.The install was fairly straight forward. You just have to make sure the panels or cabinets around the washer/dryer can be removed
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: