Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
June 19, 2018, 09:13:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil Temp vs. Water Temp  (Read 4962 times)
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 04:30:09 PM »

You have to check the tranny level with the coach running
John
loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 08:34:17 PM »

You have to check the tranny level with the coach running
John

My transmission dipstick for an Allison 740 has a cold mark.  Does that mean cold as in not running or cold as in running but not on the road yet.

Mike

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 02:50:37 AM »

My transmission dipstick for an Allison 740 has a cold mark.  Does that mean cold as in not running or cold as in running but not on the road yet.
Mike

Cold as in running but not on the road yet.  After starting the engine, I always place the shift lever in each gear position and then into nuetral before checking tjhe fluid level to be sure all servos, etc. are full of fluid.  Jack

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 02:52:14 AM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 05:55:17 AM »

Thanks.  There is so much I don't know.  I had a good chuckle this weekend.  I carry full compliment of spare fluids but I don't know how or where to check or add fluids. 

So I did what every insane newbie does and spent a couple of hours on the world wide waste of time trying to find a picture of the various dipsticks and filler tubes but came up dry.  I then spent an hour with a headlamp and mirror following the various pipes etc.

After the internet search and the physical search I followed with a few hours of quiet contemplation with my favorite beverage.  This lead to one AHA!, the transmission dipstick.  It is atf red.  Haven't figured out where to add yet but first things first.

Mike

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
Blacksheep

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 06:30:36 AM »

Usually fills where its checked as in the dipstick tube! Mine does anyway by using a trans funnel!

Ace
expressbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 05:20:15 PM »

Wow,

Looks like I sparked some serious discussions on checking fluids and where to check them.

Jack, the fluid does not have a burnt smell. It is also pink as a baby's well you know! My stick also has a cold Hot mark for checking the fluids. I'll probably have to go about ten miles form home before finding that nice flat spot off the road to pull a check on the real level. The road in front of my house is sloped severely from many resurfacings since 1921 when the neighborhood was built.

We are off tomorrow for Long Island NY, stopping to overnight in Carlisle PA. We are really looking forward to this extended vacation.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and comments.

Will G.

Will Garner, Jr
Southern Pines, NC
1991 Prevost Conversion by Country Coach
gus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 12:39:18 PM »

Engine oil and trans fluids normally run hotter than engine coolant.

Some trans and engine oil coolers run through the radiator, usually the bottom.

If the radiator coolant wasn't cooler than the oil/fluid it wouldn't cool very well.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 12:49:32 PM »

Ace,

I will soon be changing my trany oil to Hydrotech and see you mentioned a tranny funnel, When I topped the tranny up the last time(after a hose had broke) I had quite a time and it was awful slow going. Is the tranny funnel anything special if so were would I get one.

Thanks

John
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 03:17:54 PM »

John,
   Here is a photo of my transmission funnel. Nothing special except the long narrow tube part of the funnel to fit inside the dipstick tube.  You are correct, you will not do a NASCAR pit stop speed fill of the transmission.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 06:46:38 PM »

Thanks Jack,

John
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: