Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 08:50:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus polishing mistakes?  (Read 3979 times)
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 08:35:54 PM »

Thanks for all the pics and information Will.   It seems like the stiffer material on the carpet pads make a big difference.  On my surfaces, that is what I really need - I have a very dull finish on a lot of the panels. 

My situation is that years ago I had paid someone to polish the bus, but basically had to tell them to "stop" since the work was not good.  So, that is where I am at.  Lot of dull semi-polished panels.  Lots of dull S.S.  Yes, I would like the chrome-type finish.  I enjoy doing the work - if only I could see SOME progress.  The sanding idea is also very interesting.  I have a few panels that I know will need to be replaced as they are damaged.  I will go back now and re-read all the posts. I am learning A LOT! 

I would really like to get those bay handles mirror-like!!

Thanks again!  

Phil
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 08:42:29 PM by plyonsMC9 » Logged

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2009, 04:16:18 AM »

Phil,
   Just a reminder, if you have any dings or dents in your panels, they will be much more noticeable with a mirror finish. That said, even with a few dings & dents that were there when we purchased the coach, I stll like the mirror look.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2009, 12:07:28 PM »

Jack, did you do all the polishing, including bringing the panels from completely dull to mirror finish, using those pads and just the different grades of polish? 

The only "bricks" of polish I have are brown, white & blue.  Is the black (emory) rougher than the brown? 

Yes, dings, scratches will show.  I'll need to purchase a couple of panels from someplace like IBP, then learn how to rivet.   Cheesy  Cheesy

Thanks again! Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
skolbibp

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2009, 12:26:12 PM »

Riveting will be like a walk in the park after polishing!
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2009, 01:31:53 PM »

Jack, did you do all the polishing, including bringing the panels from completely dull to mirror finish, using those pads and just the different grades of polish?  
    The only "bricks" of polish I have are brown, white & blue.  Is the black (emery) rougher than the brown?  
Thanks again! Phil

Yes, just bricks of polish and different pair of pads for each compound, and a lot of hours holding that grinder/polisher!
  Yes, black (emery) is the fastest cutting compound I have used (think ground up emery wheel off of a grinder.  If the polishing wheel with emery on it hits a painted surface, paint is gone, almost instantly.  The emery leaves a film on the SS panel.  I use mineral spirits to remove the film before going to what I call red (may be the same as your brown), actual compound in Tripoli.  
  If you work top to bottom left to right, you will sling the compound away from the are you just finished. This saves clean up time and gives you something to admire.  Jack
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 04:11:14 AM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
NCRealAuctions
Auctioneer

1975 MC8

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2009, 04:39:17 PM »

I live in North Carolina & have a MC-8 that needs polishing.  I'm looking to hire someone to do the job.  Any recommendations of who could & would do the job?
skolbibp

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2009, 06:13:09 AM »

There are several companies in Florida.  Anderson's Coach Works 407-695-3950, Mirror Image 407-301-3812, and Dazzleing Detail 407-948-9284.  Hope this helps.
Steve
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2009, 07:39:17 PM »

I live in North Carolina & have a MC-8 that needs polishing.  I'm looking to hire someone to do the job.  Any recommendations of who could & would do the job?
There's not enough sweet rum in all the islands to ever tackle another bus polishing project, LOL

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: