Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 08:12:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trex for ceiling furring strips/ribs?  (Read 1849 times)
grantgoold

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2009, 08:21:51 PM »

Anybody used the "Trex" or plastic deck wood for the ceiling furring strips/ribs? It bends easier than wood and might not splinter as easily.

Ideas and opinions?

Thanks

Grant
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 10:24:45 PM by grantgoold » Logged

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 11:15:47 PM »

I don't exactly picture what you are trying to do here, but I am assuming you want narrow strips for this application.  Normal Trex or other plastic decking wouldn't work very well as it really isn't designed to be ripped down.

Your local home improvement center or lumber yard should carry narrow plastic trim designed for use on the exterior of houses that should work better.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 03:38:10 AM »

Before you use a plastic composite material I would check on the holding power of it when you decide to attach anything that may be very heavy to it. The screws may not hold and pull out. Most of this stuff can be ripped and cut but planning it to a desired thickness may not be easy. There is stuff out there for the home, like trim material in different thickess butnthen again may not hold up to having screws attached to it to hold other items. I would check with a local mfg rep.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
garhawk

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 07:01:13 AM »

Wood holds the screws better than plastic trim and, in most cases is more economical.

Here's my way; if you have access to a good rip-capable table saw.

Buy dimensioned pressure treated lumber and rip the furring strips to your desired size.  The pressure treated material bends easier and, to a tighter radius.    Screws hold better than in the non-treated material and, the bugs won't eat it either.

If you don't own or have access to a good rip-capable table saw, find a private lumberyard that can do it for you.  Maybe Lowes or Home Depot can accomodate you but, not in my area.

gary t'berry
Eagle Mod 20 DD ser 60 w/slide
GMC RTS 102"  40er (in progress)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 07:35:53 AM »

If  it were me and is not I would go to a contractors supply and buy a sheet of 1/2 or 3/4 inch radius plywood and cut the furring strips from it   good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 09:45:04 AM »

I was confused when I replied.  I was thinking trim strips, not furring strips.  I would agree with the others that plastic would make a poor furring strip.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 09:57:16 AM by belfert » Logged

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: