Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 09:04:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine Rotation?  (Read 1005 times)
steve5B

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2009, 04:25:16 AM »

I was wondering is there a way to turn a 8v-92 over manually. I ask this because I went out last evening to start my bus and

nothing.  Batteries are new, starter never a problem.  Hit the starter switch and you can hear the starter engage, but the engine will not rotate.  Is the engine locked up, or has the starter failed.  It seems like I'm having problems with this bus now back to back.  If you have any answers that would be great!

Steve 5B.......

WWW.WINNERSCHOICECORPORATION.COM

"It's all in the name the name says it all"
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 05:12:49 AM »

Steve, there is a 1 1/2 in bolt at the end of the crankshaft some have a 1 3/8 in you can rotate the engine with turning it to the right,check your air box drains and make sure you have no fuel or coolant  leaking out.    good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 08:32:27 AM »

I know when Don Fairchild rotated my engine to tune it, he used a socket on the camshaft pulley with a 2ft breaker bar.  You should be able to rotate it with that.  It sounds like either your solenoid is toast or your starter motor is toast.  You can test the starter motor by crossing the two big leads on the end of the starter solenoid-but be prepared for some fireworks if it is shorted out.  Be as far away as possible and have a face shield on.  If the starter motor spins, then it is the solenoid.  If it just sparks and no motor noise, the starter motor is shorted out.  If nothing, then most likely the starter motor brushes are worn out.  Easiest, just to take the entire starter out and have tested and possibly rebuilt.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 10:55:11 AM »

If it's a manual trans, maybe it's in gear....Don't ask how I know! If it's an auto, I just gave you a stupid idea! Grin

~Paul~

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 11:08:26 AM »

I know how you know Paul. Spent the night in a parking lot in Alpine Texas.

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
steve5B

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 08:36:20 PM »

Guys,

Thanks for the info, I apologize that I haven't responded to your post sooner, for I have been real busy and just got back on the site!

Thanks again,

Steve 5B..........

WWW.WINNERSCHOICECORPORATION.COM

"It's all in the name the name says it all"
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 08:44:47 AM »

Steve,

I had the same thing happen last year and I replaced the starter and I am convinced now that it was never the starter, it was the numerous grounds and connections in the engine bay. Take a wire wheel attach it to your drill get them all shiny, retorque them and use spray sealer on them and give the motor a try then.

Make sure your fuel shutoff is fully activated if you are going to attempt to turn it over because it may start. The fuel shutoff goes farther than you think to it's fully off position I found that out the hard way!!!
Also, keep in mind that you will not be able to shut your motor off until you build up 90 lbs of air.

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: