Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 10:50:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Temp Coat  (Read 5572 times)
sweeney153

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2009, 06:18:37 PM »

I am looking into using Temp Coat http://www.temp-coat.com/ to insulate my 1979 Crown. I have not been able to find much info on this product. Has any one used this? I heard from one bus-nut who used it for part of his bus and liked it, any other input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

Warwick NY
1964 4106-2703 8V71 Spicer 4 speed
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 08:23:41 PM »

Good evening Kevin,

I've read the web site and I'm uncertain about how you would be using the product as it looks like there are several.  I know I used a kool coat or something similar from Camping World on the roof of our previous RV, a motorhome, and I was very pleased w/ the result as far as insulating. 

Were you asking about their roof application product? , or ?

Have you already decided whether or not to use this product, and if so, which are you going to use?

Hope this helps, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 10:17:51 PM »

White paint has no R value but it does wonders in that it reflects 80% of the heat.  They make a white paint that has tiny glass beads mixed in and it reflects an additional few percent.  You can also purchase the beads to mix into your paint.  You must decide if you are getting enuf bang for your buck.

I would opt to paint the roof with Emron  Pure/Brilliant white.  It wont dirt up and also won't mildew anywhere as much.  Washes easily without scrubbing.

Inside is a different story.  Color, white, has little effect.  The product you select MUST have a R value in the discription.  NOT "effective" or "reflective" of "sorta"......R VALUE.

Nothing even comes close to sprayed on hot foam.  NOTHING.  Closed cell!  Ask the board for a more precise product specification.  There are many posts on this.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 03:59:47 AM »

After researching this several years ago, I found the people whose opinions I respected in the bus community treated the temp coat type products like snake oil. So I went with the spray foam, sheet foam products will also work well.               JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 05:33:30 AM »

John hit upon the main drawback to the exterior coatings that I have seen posted in this and other forums before.  Most of them have a textured or granular surface.  They work ok when clean, but they quickly become dirty and mildew covered and are difficult to clean.  Then they no longer reflect away the radiant heat as well. 

I like John's suggestion of a high gloss, very smooth finish, bright white paint on the roof.
MCI-RICK

1986 TMC 102A3 6V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 04:06:47 PM »

Kevin,

I sent a few questions to the manufacturer of the "liquid ceramic insulation".  They say the product has an r-value of 20 when applied to make a 15-mil thickness and that it can be used in the interior.  My concern is odor and if it will perform as claimed once enclosed in a wall or ceiling or will it be just another paint.

FWIW -  To their credit, their product is approved by the U.S. Navy.

Rick

Aim high but look out below
sweeney153

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 09:11:30 PM »

They are sending me a sample can and all the documanation. I will do my own tests ald let you know what i fid out. They are very willing to answer any question I have asked. They recomend 20mil inside sprayed on for an rv.

Warwick NY
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 10:51:53 PM »

Any idea on the cost ?

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
sweeney153

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 07:04:25 AM »

Any idea on the cost ?

They quoted me at $36.00 per galon plus $1.00 per gallon shipping to NY.
Coverage is 30 sq ft per gallon for 20 mill and 40 sqft for 15 mill.
if the info on ther web site is correct is looks like you can get higher R values then with foam and in less space.

Warwick NY
MCI-RICK

1986 TMC 102A3 6V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 07:20:49 AM »

Sweeney,

That was my thought too.  The R-value they claim would be higher than the foam and in a fraction of the space.  That will leave more room in the bus for conversion (I believe every inch counts).

I just checked my email and they haven't sent me a reply yet.  Did they mention any reservations or concerns about using it inside the walls of your bus? 

Rick

sweeney153

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 08:18:22 AM »

Did they mention any reservations or concerns about using it inside the walls of your bus?

After the email I spoke to them at length on the phone.We discused exactly what i was going to use it for. As I understand it its a latex based product so is as dangerous as paint you use in your home. The MSD is avilable on their web page and it looks fine to me. Also the Navy and Coast Guard have apporved it for use in crew quarters.

Use TEMP-COAT® inside your custom bus or van and create an entirely new perspective in personal comfort.
We do autos, trucks, buses, industrial equipment, fire engines, ambulances, trailers, refers, rail equipment, RVs, and we do it right.

I am not trying to sell this product. I realy hopped some body had personal experiance with it. As I said when I get the sample I do my own tests and let you know what I find.

Warwick NY
MCI-RICK

1986 TMC 102A3 6V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 08:33:07 AM »

Sweeney,

Thanks for the reply!  This seems like the way to go for insulating a bus.  Good find!

Rick

travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 08:41:16 AM »

Absolutly sounds good..almost too good ! But, if it works, It would definetly be something Id be interested in. So my next question would be, how do you measure the amt you put on ? Would a thicker application give you a higher R valu ?

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 08:50:06 AM »

After researching this several years ago, I found the people whose opinions I respected in the bus community treated the temp coat type products like snake oil. So I went with the spray foam, sheet foam products will also work well.               JIm

For the last time!  Not trying to live your life.  We owe it to our fellow Knuts to make an effort to save each other time and wasted expense.  After you insulate you BUILD THE BUS OVER THE INSULATION.  It is a major commitment point.  "people whose opinions I respected".  Got it?  A consensus of the people that have been there.

Good luck with this,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
sweeney153

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 08:52:43 AM »

They supply a depth gague so you can tell how thick it is. I think if you want it thicker you have to do two coat

Warwick NY
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: