Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 12:27:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fire, Brakes and a hell of a scare  (Read 24947 times)
bernie

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2006, 09:01:41 AM »

cliff, i don't have a muffler on my 04 and itr is not to loud,i am glad you and your family are ok
take care
       Bernie
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 05:59:05 AM »

Hey JR,

Yeah, I had a leak before and fixed it without removal and a second one appeared on this trip.

Its coming out when I get home and I will rebulid or redesign the entire situation.

The DD3 has a leak in the parking diaphram and showed up as I was leaving(OF COURSE).

It wasn't a trip stopper so I will replace when I get home.

This is definately Gods country up here, what a beautiful state, and the residents are extremely friendly and helpful.

Bernie,

Thanks.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 08:51:45 AM »

Cliff, I'm so glad your family and bus weren't involved in a total fire. How scary. Sounds like you're getting things resolved.

GMC used to put the mufflers right there under the back lid, between the rad and the engine. That's the way my 4106 was. My 4108, though, is like yours... stashed way under the back blukhead where it's almost impossible to visually inspect. Maybe they did this change to keep engine temps down, but it seems like a recipie for disaster when holes start developing.

Please keep us posted on what you do to remedy your leaks so other Buff owners can be safer.

Brian Brown
4108-216
Longmont, CO

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2006, 11:58:48 AM »

Cliff,  I'll make it a point to be in the Chat Room each evening between 8 and 9 PM if you need anything.  Hope the repairs and the reunion are going well.

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2006, 08:34:09 PM »

Brian,

Thanks, And I will post all results and problems.

Bob,

Completed the patch on the muffler and built a deflector that they could be put on the bottom of the space shuttle. Grin Shocked

The reunion is going great and ends tommorow night. Cry 

I would like to share a coldddd one(or two) with you and return the tools you so generously let me borrow. 

Either send me a message or a reponse when/where you would like to meet, I am in your debt....Thank you again....

FYI, We will be here until Thurday a.m. until 11:00. 

Cliff

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
NCbob

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2006, 02:08:18 PM »

Thanks Cliff,  now I don't have to have worries about either you and your family or Discovery.  There might just be a job over at the Cape for you...have you given that any thought?

I'll be in the Chat Room tonight (Tuesday) until about 9  or early in the morning (about 7) and we can arrange to meet and see if there's anything else I can do to help you and your family return home to Bushnell safetly.

I'll take a chance and put my phone #'s here....Home 828-524-6812  and Cell 828-371-8535.

Let's try to "pop-a-top' tomorrow.

Bob

FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2006, 02:43:41 PM »

Hi  everyone,

We are safe and home in Florida.

Well the muffler patch and "Deflector" held.  Cheesy

Checked it several times at first and only a minor leak at the patch and no hot gases radiating upwards.

Even if I fix the old muffler I am going to leave the deflector in place.

When I drop the muffler I will also cut out the original holding tank which helped dirct the hot gas up and will give me room

should I decide to make a custom exhaust, which is where I am leaning.

Anyway, overall a great two weeks on the road, had fun inspite of the mishap and probably have four or five couples who I met

talking about conversions. 

This is sort of a pyramid scheme, hmmmmmmm Grin

Thanks all

Cliff

Mark Twain
Dallas

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2006, 02:59:50 PM »

Hi  everyone,

We are safe and home in Florida.

Well the muffler patch and "Deflector" held.  Cheesy

Checked it several times at first and only a minor leak at the patch and no hot gases radiating upwards.

Even if I fix the old muffler I am going to leave the deflector in place.

When I drop the muffler I will also cut out the original holding tank which helped dirct the hot gas up and will give me room

should I decide to make a custom exhaust, which is where I am leaning.

Anyway, overall a great two weeks on the road, had fun inspite of the mishap and probably have four or five couples who I met

talking about conversions. 

This is sort of a pyramid scheme, hmmmmmmm Grin

Thanks all

Cliff

Cliff,
Bob and I were just talking about you!

Nothing good, I assure you!

Cat and I are glad you made it home safe, Take care of the Boss and the kids.

Dallas
NCbob

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2006, 03:36:44 AM »

We're glad to hear that everything worked out well and that you're home safe.  We talked to Charley and Cally and told them of your
trip and experiences.  Wouldn't be surprised if Charley shows up with some ideas. Wink

We'll be looking for you back in the Chat Room. Smiley

Bob

FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 05:01:39 PM »

Finally dropped the muffler today to eliminate it and build a new custom exhaust.

Thought I would take some pictures of the patch I did on the road and what was underneath it.

Cliff

This is a shot of the muffler with the exhaust deflector/temp patch to get home

Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2006, 05:02:59 PM »

This is a close up of what I had to do to stop the gases from shooting up to the wood floor....

This would have been simple if my arm wasn't fully extended to reach it....

The muffler is about 16" below the floor and I had to reach thru the elevated bed frame also.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 07:55:03 PM by FloridaCracker » Logged

Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2006, 05:05:55 PM »

This picture is with the deflectors removed.

The piece on the left is the patch i welded in before we left to North Carolina.

The hole to the right is the blowout that happended after we were on the road and what caused the fire.

Note the brackets that i had to work around and attach too.

The Black soot is on top of the patch.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 05:09:00 PM by FloridaCracker » Logged

Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2006, 05:10:33 PM »

Here is a close up of the hole

Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2006, 05:12:36 PM »

Here is a shot of what was under the original patch

Mark Twain
Dallas

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2006, 05:13:15 PM »

HAY CLIFF!
You have attained the Rank of Hero

Congratulations.

Nick and I set it up a while back that everyone that becomes a hero member has to buy the other hero members a 12 pack of beer and a 100 gallons of fuel.

Now, I'm not too picky, and I'm sure Nick isn't either, so we'll be happy to put some of the cheap fuel in our coaches and I don't mind Milwaukees Best for beer.

We'll be looking for payment, forthwith!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 06:34:34 PM by Dallas » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: