Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 07:21:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fire, Brakes and a hell of a scare  (Read 24168 times)
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2006, 05:18:45 PM »

I will add some pictures of the wood damage tommorrow.

And the exhaust setup with a complete list of parts and item numbers for anyone interested in replacing there's.

I hope to have it done by this weekend if I can get the parts. Grin

Cliff
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 05:37:57 PM by FloridaCracker » Logged

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2006, 07:44:00 PM »

HAY CLIFF!
You have attained the Rank of Hero

Congratulations.

Nick and I set it up a while back that everyone
that becomes a hero member has to buy the other hero members a 12 pack of beer and a 100 gallons of fuel.

[/color][/size][/i][/b]

I sent this to my Attorney...And according to your statement You and Nick owe me the same...So , its a wash as it stands...Ha! Ha!

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2006, 08:04:25 PM »

This is a view of the Muffler space with it removed...The two close pipes are the inlets and the single is the exhaust...

Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2006, 08:07:06 PM »

Here is a shot of the area that burned.....That is thru 1" plywood...

The silver is the R-7 panel under the 3/4 floor I put in.

The hole in the bracket that crosses the picture is where the muffler hangs

Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2006, 08:12:30 PM »

Here is the burned area closeup

The wire that is crispy and flaking is from my batteries to the starter Tongue

Mark Twain
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2006, 08:35:24 PM »

Cliff,
I have got to pay more attention to the board, I have been working long hours and not really going on much only to scan it etc.  I had no idea any of this happened to you, your family and bus.  As everyone else I too am really thankful that you are all doing fine and back home.  I have no idea when this all originally happened, I have post about it in this thread as of July?? 

If I had known you were in this predictiment in any way I too would of come to assist as NCBOB did as we are not that far from Cherokee at all.  Your right though, thanks to our board busnuts you had assistance as soon as you needed it, thanks from us all Bob for helping out Cliff & Julie and kids.

Making our buses safer is the #1 priority to me as you all know and I try to stress what to look for in my inspections & repairs of my Eagle and pass on as much as I can for everyone to be consious of as I find my problems.  Cliff's  exhaust problem is something that could of killed them all with just the fumes and then a fire and the thought just makes me cringe. 

When and if I get to that point of working on my engine area I do plan to use the (wet blanket) wrap on both of my exhaust from the engine to the undercarriage but because of cliff for a matter of back up & safety I will also fabricate a heat shield over the top of both of my exhaust systems.  Don't go telling me it isn't necessary or it can't be done, you know me by now that I will do it and it (Can Be Done) and will be.  It is something serious like this that should make us all aware of our older buses and be more observant of what may be wrong and fix what needs to be fixed and don't  just assume because everyone (Believes) these old girls should last forever that they will.  They might but are they (SAFE)?? 

I am sorry to have not been there for you and your family Cliff when you were in the mountains not very far from me, thanks for sharing a very important message to us all and I hope you will still be able to come to Timmonsville next week.  I thought your DD3's were fixed already when I was talking about never using them on my bus again some time ago on another thread??  Don't let them slide on you any longer.

Good luck to you buddy, take care and be safe.

Gary

Gary
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2006, 08:52:45 PM »

Gary,

Thanks for the kind words of concern...I can rest easy at night knowing I have a friend such as yourself out there who I KNOW would be there if needed.

I had already planned to meet Bob and it turned into a rescue.

I am also planning to use the wet blanket when I am done.

On my DD3's...When we talked I had just replaced the one, first day on the trip the 2nd one acted up.....worked perfect the day before....

Gary you are so right about checking everything....I thought I had been very diligent on checking my Bus out, especially mechanically.  But stuff happens....

If i had not had that hose on my fresh water system in the back bay we may have been talking about my NEW coach.

Be safe out there

Cliff

Mark Twain
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2006, 10:23:26 PM »

Cliff- glad it didn't go any further.  GMC's were known for stuffed up exhausts.  On my AMGeneral transit, the exhaust manifold has 4" pipe coming to a 5" Y to the muffler and a 5" pipe back out again.  Compare that to your system.  Maybe a good time to increase to 5" system to relieve your engine of back pressure.  Lots of mufflers made in 5"  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2006, 07:17:46 AM »

Tom,

We are thinking along the same lines on expanding the exhaust flow.

I am going to run duals out the passenger side instead of the drivers back corner.

The exhaust out pipes will be increased from 3.5" to 5" with in pipe baffles/muffllers.

My DD shouldl exhale just a little better. Wink

Cliff

Mark Twain
Dallas

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2006, 07:58:06 AM »

Cliff,
Be careful about relieving the exhaust back pressure.
Detroit 2 cycle engines, just like the 2 cycle motorcycle engines, need a certain amout of back pressure to run efficiently.

I've forgotten what your coach engine is, but according to the Field Service Manual, for a 71E and a 71N, you need to have 4.0 In. of Hg at 2100RPM full load. For no load, you only need 2.6 In. of Hg.
Dallas
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2006, 08:07:19 AM »

HAY CLIFF!
You have attained the Rank of Hero

Congratulations.

Nick and I set it up a while back that everyone that becomes a hero member has to buy the other hero members a 12 pack of beer and a 100 gallons of fuel.

Now, I'm not too picky, and I'm sure Nick isn't either, so we'll be happy to put some of the cheap fuel in our coaches and I don't mind Milwaukees Best for beer.

We'll be looking for payment, forthwith!

Hey Cliff,

I'll settle for a CASE of "diet Michelob" also known as Mic light! LOL!  Don't worry about the 100 gallons of fuel, you'll need it to make it to the "TN FALL BUS BASH @ Knuckle's to pay up on the beer! LOL! BK Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2006, 09:05:35 AM »

I am going to run duals out the passenger side instead of the drivers back corner.

Cliff, I'm all for expanding your flow, just keep in mind that the exhaust out the pax side will be much harder to see any black smoke than the driver's side. Short of a pyrometer, a quick glance for black smoke out the driver's mirror is the easiest way to insure you're not over-fueling on a stock GMC. The pax rear is much "further away" visually from the driver's seat. Just a thought!

Anyways, thanks for the pics and details of the damage and your ongoing project. I'd sure like to make my Buff's exhaust safer, and you're "blazing a trail" here.
Brian

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2006, 04:49:18 PM »

Say Guy's,
I just talked to Luke At US Coach.
He stated that he has the correct muffler and the clamps and exhaust pipes if needed in stock new!
Can ship over night if needed that quick!
Luke's toll free number is 1-888-262-2434.
He also said please don't burn your bus down.
jlv

FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2006, 04:06:52 PM »

Hi JL,

I had originally called for prices on the muffler.  As I recall around $800.00

There are no NOS, just custom made to original specs.

With the price of replacement, plus the fact I think it was a serious design flaw by GM with the placement of the muffler.

I decided to seek alternatives after a leak almost burned up my dream.

I am building a custom dual exhaust.

Everything will be new past the connection to the pipe off of the mainifolds.

I just ordered the exhaust pipe, fittings and baffle/mufflers and I am real close to $300.00.

I am custom making three brackets to hold the pipes and mufflers.

After seeing my under floor on fire.....I could never put that exhaust back on....

Cliff

Mark Twain
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2006, 05:10:55 PM »

Cliff, to echo the words of and old BusNut, who's to prissy to converse with us again, "do it your way".

And I honestly would like to hear from Fast Fred again.

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: