Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 09:51:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fire, Brakes and a hell of a scare  (Read 25113 times)
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2006, 05:40:41 PM »

Please post the information and required parts and photos on your new reworked exhaust system.
I am interested to see what is required for the change over.
Thanks
jlv
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2006, 08:33:31 PM »

Where the heck is Fast Fred & how is he anyhow, I miss that dude!!
Gary

Gary
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2006, 06:45:53 AM »

Based on his last post (as far as I know) he refuses to register on any board for some reason. Afraid that someone will spam him I think, but i do not recall for sure.

Although we had some disagreements several years ago regarding posting incorrect information, he did post some very good information and he did, in general, quit posting some of the data that was erroneous. He is missed by myself and maybe even Ace. LOL
Richard

Gary

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2006, 07:21:18 AM »

Cliff,
My MC-8 has a shield over the muffler... I'm sure most MCI's do.  The muffler is way down close to the ground.  There's also no wood exposed anywhere in the engine compartment.  Perhaps you can also add some sort of shield to the muffler and cover that exposed wood with metal.  It's scary to think that all it would take to cause a bus fire would be a leaking muffler!  Have you started the bus up with no muffler?  I'm curious as to how loud it is!   Wink

David
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2006, 08:00:58 AM »

David,

Good to hear from you.

On the GM's the muffler is in towards the front of the bus, one bulkhead forward of the engine.

It is mounted almost to the floor and sits vertical.

I built (rigged) a deflector/shield to get home with my muffler leaked.

It really is just in a bad location, of course with the V-drive there wasn't much choice.

And Yes, I will have to fire it up once with the straight pipes out the back Grin

Cliff
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 08:25:37 AM by FloridaCracker » Logged

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2006, 08:06:05 AM »

It is my opinion that exhaust temperatures can reach 1000 degrees or more. More than enough heat to start combustion in most materials.
Richard

David,

Good to hear from you.

On the GM's the muffler is in towards the front of the bus, one bulkhead forward of the engine.

It really is just in a bad location, of course with the V- rive there wasn't much choice.

And Yes, I will have to fire it up once with the straight pipes out the back Grin

Cliff

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2006, 10:35:29 AM »

We installed a pyrometer on our 8V71.  Running 65 on flat land, our exhaust temp runs about 650. We have not been on any significant hills yet to see how high the exhaust temp gets.  Jack
It is my opinion that exhaust temperatures can reach 1000 degrees or more. More than enough heat to start combustion in most materials.
Richard

David,

Good to hear from you.

It really is just in a bad location, of course with the V- rive there wasn't much choice.

Cliff

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Ace

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2006, 11:22:04 AM »

Richard....

NOT...
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2006, 03:05:07 PM »

Hello noise makers.

To get the real deal on the open exhaust, you have to get the motor to go to full fuel.

Motor has to be under load to get full fuel for any extended time.

Hard to do sitting still idling, it only gives the briefest small bark and that's it, as the governor backs it right off.

Take it for a drive around the block and really impress the neighbours!!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Dallas

« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2006, 03:28:12 PM »

Fast Fred has been a member of this board since 19-Feb-06 and was last active 18-May-06 and has made 8 posts. As a matter of fact, he was the fourth member of this board after Phil, Gumpy and Clarke.

Based on his last post (as far as I know) he refuses to register on any board for some reason. Afraid that someone will spam him I think, but i do not recall for sure.

Although we had some disagreements several years ago regarding posting incorrect information, he did post some very good information and he did, in general, quit posting some of the data that was erroneous. He is missed by myself and maybe even Ace. LOL
Richard

Gary
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

FF made a brief appearance over on BNO not so long ago, but that was it.

Others say he is active on some of his other hobby boards.

You gotta take a rest sometimes!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2006, 02:50:52 PM »

OK....The new exhaust pipes are in.... Cheesy

Even though this wasn't a real difficult job, it was not without its challenges.

If you havn't worked with 4" exhaust pipe, lets say measure 5 times, cut once.

Don't overtighten or do the final snug until everthing is positioned and you are happy with it..

Best to get it looking good at the tailpipe and work backward as this stuff has very little room for play...enough said on that...

I had to weld up a bracket to hold and support the pipe about 16" before they exit the side(see picture)

I still do not have the internal mufflers....knock on wood.....they should be here next week....

I did run it without them......It sounded good(to a motorhead) but, it was too loud....On High idle it drowned out the engine running sound....

Anyway, hope that answered some the questions that may or may not come....

I will post some pictures below this with explanations.

Cliff
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 07:47:09 PM by FloridaCracker » Logged

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2006, 03:16:21 PM »

Here is a picture of the original pipes that went into the muffler...

One new down pipe is installed.

Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2006, 03:17:53 PM »

Another angle of the first downpipe

Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2006, 03:19:06 PM »

Both down pipes installed

Mark Twain
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: