Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 02:31:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fire, Brakes and a hell of a scare  (Read 24290 times)
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2006, 03:20:07 PM »

Both down pipes from a different angle

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2006, 03:21:34 PM »

Looking from the side of bus at exit pipes and bracket I made

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2006, 03:23:00 PM »

Looking at pipes from rear of bus

Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2006, 03:24:42 PM »

View from drivers side with bottom of support bracket

Mark Twain
mikeH8H-649

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2006, 03:38:32 PM »

CLIFF,that sure is a great looking job there,I hope that this means that you all will make it to timmonsville this coming week  Mike
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2006, 04:45:13 PM »

Those pipes look cool as HE11!   Looking forward to seeing your exhaust system!
I believe we can rule out storms...nothing on the weather map at all.  Put that place on autopilot and come'on up! 
See you in T'ville, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2006, 07:30:57 PM »

Almost forgot the most important view...

From the Side...

Mark Twain
Dallas

« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2006, 07:54:43 PM »

Wow Cliff,
Those look too cool!

Maybe I should split the manifold on my 6-71 and put a pair of duals on too!

We sure hope you can make it up here, Cat is all excited to see the kids again and of course, Rosie!

Dallas
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2006, 07:55:50 PM »

Cliff, you got a "Pit" there bud!  AND, most important of all...the trusty DeWalt battery powered light (or drill?) sitting in the background!  Couldn't get through life without one...or the other! Wink
JR
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 07:59:30 PM by NJT5047 » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
novice

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2006, 08:15:33 PM »

That was some scare.  So glad to hear you are all ok.   Great idea for the hose, that's one of those things that will go on the list now.

Having read accounts of some other fires also, and the fact that they usually start at the engine at the other end of the bus where we can't see or smell till it may be too late, has anyone thought of putting a smoke detector in the back bedroom or possibly in the engine compartment itself with a remote alarm?  Maybe seems silly, but I bet it is something someone could come up with. FWIW
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2006, 03:48:35 AM »

Great looking work there, Cliff.    Kudos for Imagination and Craftmanship! Wink

Let's hope you can hang up your Firefighter and Welding helmets up for a while now and pile the family aboard for a great week end in T'ville.

Our old gal is looking pretty (from the outside) now and has brakes I can't believe. Can't say much for the inside at this point though.
We're hoping to get out of here about mid-day on Wednesday to meet with JR at his home and roll on to Timmonsville about mid morning on Thursday.

May the BusGod's smile on all who venture forth this week for Dallas and Cat's little shindig and may the porker be tender and succulant!

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2006, 09:33:29 AM »

Cliff- one thing you might consider is to put some sort of rubber mounting on the new bracket you made that is bolted directly to the bus frame.  Two reasons-one is that it will insulate the vibrations from the exhaust to the bus and two- you need to allow the exhaust pipe to move with the engine since the engine rocks and rolls everytime it shifts or during acceleration and deceleration.  This could lead to the pipes cracking and leaking again!  Where are you installing the muffler?  So far all I see are two tail pipes coming directly off the engine?  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2006, 01:21:07 PM »

First, Thanks Mike, JR, Dallas, Novice and NCBob for your comments and compliments.

We can ALL use a little encouragement from our fellow Busnuts. Wink

Tom,

You have a good eye.

The bracket pictures were made right after I first put it together and you cannot see the jack stands holding up the pipe.

I am looking at what I want to put between the frame and bracket as well as the bracket and pipes to allow some flexibility.

I may use some conveyer belt if it can take the heat.

I may even change the bracket to a more overhead position and use a more standard exhaust strap with the built in flexible piece.

The decisions of being your own engineer.

On the muffler, you don't see it because its not installed yet....I am either stepping out on a limb/being a pioneer/or just crazy, you choose, and am going to try an

internal muffler that goes in the 4" exhauxt pipe..There are several companies that make these for Semi's to Diesel pickups...in 4",5',6' or 7"

Mine is supposed to be here by the middle of next week, that will be the "rubber meets the road test".

IM mufflers do not come OEM on anything I could find, they are an aftermarket product that proably would not stand up to the criteria specified for "NEW" vehicles.

Thats why I am putting them in a "OLD" bus Grin

Thanks for your comments.

Cliff

Mark Twain
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2006, 06:30:22 PM »

We use those "slip in" style baffles in motorcycle drag pipes. 
Ours are simple dimpled pipes.  See right thru them, but they take the "crack" out of the exhaust sound.  That 8V will sound good with duals!
If you had a turbo on that bus, you wouldn't need a muffler???
Regarding your hangers...what about two matching muffler hangers?  Maybe just use the flex and U clamp?  They are cheap and will last forever.  Most hot-rod shops have 4" and 5" hangers....probably most truck parts suppliers too? 
Best, JR 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 06:33:18 PM by NJT5047 » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2006, 06:36:45 PM »

Hey Cliff,

Nice pipes!! Smiley  hope to see you in Timmonsville.  You gotta link on the Internal muffler?  My old f250 is 'bout due.

Cool

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: