Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 05:16:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fire, Brakes and a hell of a scare  (Read 25148 times)
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2006, 09:05:48 PM »

Cliff, those things look sweet! Too cool.

Thanks for the updates. I'd love to know how the internals sound... from idle to flull bore, and even with Jakes applied.

Great thread,
bb

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2006, 03:49:21 PM »

Well, after all the excitement of my "sweet" looking new pipes. I have some disappointing news.

The internal pipe mufflers "stink" Cry

They make a cool sound if I was still 18, but add 29 to that and I want "just a wee bit" quieter exhaust.  Cool

Maybe fine for the street...but not in a state park.....Rv....Resort..etc....

I have since torn the entire piping system out and have developed a new plan.  Shocked

I welded up a 3 1/2 collector to combine the pipes to a single (which is way easier, the single, not the %&*@ collector)

But, I want DUELs darn it.  So I just refigured this whole project and am only not reusing two pieces I will have my duels.

Of course I had to buy another 325.00 worth of parts, 200.00 in mufflers to make it work.  Just ordered today  Tongue

I am now looking at 625.00 instead of replacing the 800.00 plus 100.00 shipping original muffler, but no more FIRE trap.  Cheesy

And I will have a completely new exhaust from the manifolds out.  That would translate to 525.00 for those not having to eat the internals. Angry

It really pained me to tear the first setup out....But I will not settle for anything less than...Works right...Looks right....Sounds right...

Also wanted to tell anyone that is thinking of the internals...FORGET IT......

Those internals will still be on the finished product though....They look cool......Of course, nothing the plasma cutter cant handle or fix... Grin

Cliff

« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 07:45:42 PM by FloridaCracker » Logged

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2006, 04:59:34 PM »

Bummer. Undecided  I was afraid that they'd be too loud. I guess a 560+ CI 2-stroker just makes too much "sweet" music to baffle with such a small amount of internals. The size of the OEM muffler attests to that.

But I look forward to your continued forays into a safer exhaust system for Buffs!

bb

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2006, 06:07:56 PM »

Oh yeah,

I found a pretty good supplier online for muffler parts.   They also sell other stuff.

https://www.rockauto.com

These guys are 33% cheaper than NAPA on Walker muffler parts.

Use the Walker catalog to figure what you need.   http:/www.walkerheavyduty.com

Very cheap shipping, no add ons.

I saved 130.00 as compared to NAPA on the parts I ordered, after shipping.

Cliff
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 07:46:34 PM by FloridaCracker » Logged

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2006, 08:42:57 AM »

Cliff- from the pictures I've seen, maybe consider a dual inlet and single 5" outlet muffler of the correct CFM for the engine.  Will make for the most muffler in the least area.  The muffler on my transit is huge (16" diameter and 60" long). Dual 5" inlet and 5" outlet to interior stack to roof top tip.  I have no engine exhaust noise that I can hear over the engine noise.  As with a generator, there is no such thing as a too quiet engine.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2006, 08:20:38 PM »

Well, I got the new mufflers on and gave them a road test before I went down to to the Southeast Cruisers rally last week.

My biggest concern was that to mount the duals where I wanted, I had to give up some road clearence.  With that in mind I mounted

them as close to the rear wheel as possible.  The curve of the oval mufflers fit perfect in the gap of the radius rod brackets.

I fabricated two brackets to hold them up on flexible muffler hangers. They exit on each side.

The road test worked out perfect and I tried to go over every train track with a hump, every road with a dip, etc to get a good test, No problems.

I am happy to report that I could not hear the exhaust over the engine noise.

Now that I finally have had some success with my little exhaust redeisgn project I will post some new photo's and a parts list on

Sunday or Monday.

Again, Thanks to all for your encouragement, suggestions.......

Cliff

Mark Twain
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2006, 08:09:15 AM »

Wahoo!  Cool  Great re-engineering work, Cliff. Glad to hear that your exhaust project is a success.

Please do upload pics when you get a chance.

Brian B.

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2007, 05:29:42 PM »

Brian,

I got a chance.....8 months later..... Embarrassed

The story needed a conclusion.

Cliff
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 08:22:58 PM by FloridaCliff » Logged

Mark Twain
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2007, 08:20:52 PM »

Nice pipes,  worthy of showing off

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2007, 04:20:04 PM »

I have had a lot of people ask me for a list of parts I used when I replaced the muffler underneath the floor with the Duals.

Here is the total list of parts needed:

3 1/2 Mega clamp X 8 Part# 33285

3 1/2 ID-OD Connector X 2 Part# 42983

Muffler Hangers X 2 Part#  35103

3 1/2 Elbows X 4 Part# 41366

Tail Spout X 2 Part# 41096

Muffler X 2 Part# 22632

This is all the parts you should need.

It was $418.00 (verified price on 10/24/07) plus shipping.  About 81.00 to Fla.  Closer will be better.

You can look at the parts in diagram form on http://www.walkerheavyduty.com/

I bought them from http://www.rockauto.com/ who saved me 33% from NAPA.

Compare for yourself and see who has the best deal.

Cliff

Mark Twain
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2007, 05:40:50 PM »

Cliff,

Great info!

Thank you,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
gus

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2007, 07:30:18 PM »

I'll take this opportunity to warn 4104 owners about their mufflers also. I had this same problem with my 4104 with 671 dual exh last year. Luckily my 4104 has a OEM metal deflector on the bottom of the rear access door in the bedroom so all I got was a lot of diesel smoke and no wood or foam smoke!

One muffler had a quarter size hole in the top (the mufflers are mounted vertically) so I replaced it with my own creation using a JCW stock muffler and a short exh pipe extension. As I remember this setup uses 2-1/2" pipe but it may be three inch, don't remember for sure right now. After that job was done I checked the other one for the heck of it and found it was completely rusted out under the clamp to the manifold so I made another set.

The original GM 671 mufflers have a 1/2" vertical flange around the end circumference which is perfect for holding water and rusting out! I replaced these with the smooth end JCW mufflers which are also a bit smaller so they are easier to remove or install and won't hold water or junk. The original mufflers are behind the engine and can just barely be pulled up through the access door. These smaller mufflers also reduced the heat in the engine compartment.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: