Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 08:39:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: headliner material  (Read 1649 times)
pjtaxi

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2006, 12:51:12 PM »

Has anyone got a source for white or off white vinyl with a foam back that is used for headliner material?? Any help appreciated.  Patrick
Ace

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 01:21:16 PM »

Patrick, find yourself a local upholstery shop. If they don't have what you want instock they can order it. I am in the process of doing it now. You may not find foam backed vinyl and will have to use something very thin to go under it. I used the closed cell foam that is sold for going under laminate flooring. It works realy good and gives it just the right amount of cusion. Vinyl comes in all colors and with the many colors it also has many different grades and prices. Mine cost 15 bucks a yard and so far the BR and bathroom are done. I already have spent 250 bucks. I'm looking at the rest of the ceiling and along with that, I'm seeing many $$$$$'s! Smiley

Good luck
Ace
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 01:55:39 PM »

pjtaxi, I bought mine on ebay...but it wasnt an instant thing. It took a couple months checking listings every few days untill I found it. I placed my vinyl across the ceiling instead of a super long peice.I used a dividing strip of white plastic trim that is sold for Airstream trailers to make the transition to th next peice. So, my ceiling "panels' are 54" wide (Standard upholstery material width) I started with one peice in the bedroom at the rear of the coach, did that one and then went to the front and installed the frontmost peice. Went back to the back and put one up and then the front and so on. Of course, the length of the bus doesnt equate to exact 54" sections, so I worked to the hall, and the last peice there is about 30" or so. The trim has a base that staples doen, then you put in the material and snap the cap on. The cap is about 3/4" wide.
  here is one shot of the headliner. Click on my profile on the left here and you can check out a bunch of pics. I know you were asking for a source of vinyl, and I apologize for the additional info. Maybe it will help someone else who is considering this route-I can check the box that the trim came in for the source if anyone needs that info as well- hope this helps Chuck

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
rwc
No longer will be Now AM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 05:46:41 AM »

Chuch  Is the vinyl glued to the undersurface? Where did the trim pieces come from? Thanks for the info. Rod

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 06:54:31 AM »

When you purchase your vinyl, try to buy all of it on one roll or at least the same lot number. Even though it is the same manufacturer and the same part number, different runs can (and frequently do) have slight variations in the color.  Hope this helps, Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Ace

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 10:53:34 AM »

Jack not to dispute what your saying but I asked this very question to the pro's I got mine from since I wanted to do it in stages and was afraid of different dye lots and they said, as long as it has the same number/name/color and came from the same mfgr. it would be the same shade/color even if I were to get some now and some next month! So far, I have ordered it twice with no difference. I ordered a 3rd time and they were out of it but I should be getting it in a week or so. THAT will tell if there is any difference or not for sure since the first two orders were from the same roll. Obviously the 3rd will be from a different batch. Good thing I stopped at the bathroom before running out. That way IF there is any slight change, it will be seperated by the bath/kit door and the rest will be all one shade/dyelot/color IF you know what I mean! Next week I'll let you know what it looks like against the other that I already have!

Ace
pete81eaglefanasty

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 02:24:00 PM »

When i bought my vinyl i was told it would be the same color if i had the number of the vinyi. well it wasn't.they are the same number same mfg.
 so far i've got 3 difference in color. mine was in almond i don't know if that makes a difference.later they said each roll is different. each dyelot is different.

Pete

WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.
T Chellis

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 08:15:53 AM »

HI, Be careful guys with the glue thing. I have been upholstering for 40 years and I do not like to have vinyl that is bonded to the foam. It creates dimples in the ceiling that takes away from the the quality of your work. I like to glue up 1/4" foam to the size of the vinyl piece that I am putting up and I staple up one edge of the vinyl and stretch the vinyl over to the opposite side. On the next piece of vinyl I blind tack the vinly edge then put up my 1/4" foam and then stretch the vinyl over to the opposite side, and so on and so on. To dress it up more welt can be put beween the blind tacking. I can't stress this enough, the key to a great job is using a good quality vinyl that is soft. You may get a good price on vinyl but it could be old vinyl that could be loosing it's softness.  Also I do not use closed cell foam. Open cell foam is better for me in covering little inperfections in the ceiling. The only care that needs to be taken is that you don't pile up a blob of glue and press the open cell foam flat.  The vinyl I like to use is a pattern called Alante (very soft) It is available at my shop and from most shops. It is in the price range of $23.00 to $27.00 per running yard (54" wide). Just for your information I will not use any vinyl that is over 4 years old. It is just not all that plyable anymore. Some less than reliable shops have had vinyl laying around that is old and are glad to get rid of it for a cheap price. Vinyl is taking a real hit in price. Vinyl is made with oil and I  have seen some pretty stiff increases over this last year. As an example the Alante pattern I mentioned above I bought for my bus I paid $17.00 per yd for 5 years ago. Also vinyl is made up in 25 yd rolls and full roll discounts are sometimes available.  Good luck guys....T. Chellis in Ohio
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: