Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 11:02:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plumbing vents and negative pressure  (Read 6974 times)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2009, 05:34:04 AM »

Any ideas where to get a smoke pencil?  It looks like they aren't exactly cheap ($25) and perhaps not easy to find.

I saw some recommendations to use a children's toy instead or incense sticks.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2009, 05:55:39 AM »

Belfert, check your local HD,Lowes or hardware they should have a kit for testing air leaks around windows and door you also a piece of light weight yarn taped to the ceiling will work
good luck
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:05:54 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2009, 05:57:30 AM »

Another idea would be a small piece of dry ice in a cup of water.
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2009, 06:48:26 AM »

Hey Sean,

In my opinion that response was dangerously close to the kind of tone that keeps some folks from posting their opinion.

Disagree until the cows come home,

just do it nice....

Rick

P.S. I am not attempting here to invite yet another escalating argument that hurts the board and does no real good for anyone. We have had enough of those here lately.

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2009, 07:00:38 AM »

Any ideas where to get a smoke pencil?  It looks like they aren't exactly cheap ($25) and perhaps not easy to find.

A cigarette would work.  Not for me though.  I'd be afraid that after thirty years or so, lighting one cigarette would be the end for me.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2009, 08:08:47 AM »

Hey Sean,

In my opinion that response was dangerously close to the kind of tone that keeps some folks from posting their opinion.

Hmm.  I had thought my tone was completely neutral.  If you are referring to the part where I said "balderdash," let me be clear that I was referring to where you were "told by a guy early in our RV experience 'don't drive until you have dumped your blackwater tank because it will form layers of difficult to remove [stuff].'"

Sorry if that wasn't clear and if I came across in any way other than informative.  It was not my intent.

In the interests of clarity for anyone reading this after the fact, I have added a phrase to my original response to make my intention more specific.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 03:34:56 PM by Sean » Logged

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2009, 08:25:21 AM »

Brian, this company is selling a device as a toy called the "Wizard Stick" for $19:
http://www.zerotoys.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Offset=0&Category_Code=PRODUCTS

which happens to be the exact same device that some other outfits are selling as a draft detection device for more money:
http://www.chimneyballoon.us/catalog/item/2257305/7033911.htm

Based on my experience, I would say this is about as low as you can go for these sorts of things, especially since it is refillable and reusable, and comes with enough "juice" for many uses.  Real chemical "smoke pencils" are typically single-use items and come in packages of several units, for considerably more money.  You would get them at your local professional plumbing/HVAC supply.

HTH,

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2009, 10:12:51 AM »

Rick expressed his concern based on how he viewed Sean's comments.  Sean responded, including an apology for any offense.  That is where it should have stopped.

I have removed posts that went beyond that.  I will unlock this thread because it is an apporpriate and beneficial discussion that many have constructively participated in.  But more attacks will not be permitted.
MCI-RICK

1986 TMC 102A3 6V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2009, 10:23:11 AM »

HighTechRedNeck,

Thanks!  I'm not quite at the venting stage but I'm learning alot as I read the replies.  This is a topic many are interested in and it shows.

Everyone,  Please continue the topic!

Aim high but look out below
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2009, 10:48:41 AM »

Rick expressed his concern based on how he viewed Sean's comments.  Sean responded, including an apology for any offense.  That is where it should have stopped.

I have removed posts that went beyond that.  I will unlock this thread because it is an apporpriate and beneficial discussion that many have constructively participated in.  But more attacks will not be permitted.

Hey, it's all good.  They were just VENTING   Cheesy

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2009, 10:50:58 AM »

I agree with Sean that there is no reason to dump the black tank daily although I would have not said it quite the same way.

I have a combined black/grey tank plus I am usually many miles from a dump station while camping so I couldn't dump daily without a huge waste of time and fuel.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2009, 11:37:32 AM »

Sounds like there the vent tube isn't reasonable straight, probably not large enough and possible a little heighth might help if the first 2 suggestions don't clear it right up.

Grant

Have Fun!!
Grant
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2009, 07:08:00 AM »

All that you are looking for is something to give you enough smoke to see airflow, that you can move around to find where it's coming from or going to.  Incense will work just fine.  So will a smoldering cigar or pipe, overheated vegetable oil, etc.
loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2009, 09:15:43 AM »

I've always used incense sticks.  It has the added benefit of masking malodorous situations.

Mike

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2009, 02:03:40 PM »

I've heard that mixing brake fluid with clorox will produce copious amounts of smoke. I've never tried it, though.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: