Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 07:41:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transmission Temperature Sender  (Read 1320 times)
homermandy

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2006, 02:48:50 PM »

I have an Allison HT746 automatic transmission.  My question is on the temperature sender. The current sender was broken, so they used an NPT fitting to block the hole. It is located near the top of the Torque converter housing near the oil cooler line.  My question is with a sender that is not quit 1 inch long, will it sense the fluid?  I put a test line into the hole to see how far until it reached fluid, but didn''t hit fluid for at least 4 inches.  Does the fluid in the converter housing flip around the housing when driving(I assume)?  Reason I ask is because this was apparently the original location for the sender and I replaced with a VDO sender and guage. VDO has a max 5/8" sender.  There is also a 1/8" NPT fitting at the bottom of the trans housing which I could tap into, but I'm sure they would have done that in the beginning. Thanks

1991 Eagle 15
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 09:27:36 PM »

Greetings homermandy,

Did you have any luck solving this?  It sounds like an interesting question. 

Busnuts - any ideas for homermandy?

Hope this helps, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 03:46:13 AM »

I installed a Datcon transmission temperature gauge from Presicion Speedometer in Arizona. The sender that came with the gauge scewed directly into the threaded opening in the top of the transmission that you mentioned (yes, it is an NPT thread, but I don't remember the sixe 3/8 or 1/2??)  Hope this helps, Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
homermandy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 05:23:46 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  I had a wiring issue which I fixed last weekend from the sender. I will test it this weekend. Sounds like this is the correct port for the sender. I will let you know. Thanks

1991 Eagle 15
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: