Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 07:26:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thanks to Gumpy and his tail light converter and other rear light things!  (Read 931 times)
Tenor

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2009, 06:14:45 PM »

Thank you Gumpy!  I copied your website and the system works perfectly.  I scavenged 2 relays and bases from a bus, so I was halfway there.  Saved me a lot of dough!  My MC 7 had a box in the drivers side rearmost panel that gave outside access to the original voltage regulator.  When I repaired the skin on that corner, I moved that box inside the engine bay.  Since my 50DN alternator went bad, I pulled out the regulator and used it for the tail light panel. 

I also fixed the rear emergency stop switch (that system now works!), found the wires for the backup lights, and the license plate lights.  I need to find 2 lightbulb holders for the licene plate lights and a back-up light.  I also fixed/added lights to the engine bay.  Gotta love being able to see!

As a follow up question about the back-up light:  I see reference to a switch on the tranny to run the back-up light.  Anyone know where to look for it?  I've never seen one.  Thanks!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 03:39:43 AM »

As a follow up question about the back-up light:  I see reference to a switch on the tranny to run the back-up light.  Anyone know where to look for it?  I've never seen one.  Thanks!
Glenn

Standard or automatic?    Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 05:25:11 AM »

Glenn,

Glad it worked for you, and the price is certainly right! 

Your wiring looks great, but I'm concerned about the enclosure. It doesn't look weathertight, and will allow spray in, which will eventually corrode the terminals on the relays,
leading to failure. I suggest you try figure out a way to seal the door on the enclosure when it's closed. Maybe some rubber gasket material.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 05:59:05 AM »

Jack, thanks for pointing out missed info! Smiley  I have a spicer 4 speed tranny.

Craig, I'll have to check to see if any rain actually gets in there.  I know that it did when it was mounted with the door outside the bus!  I don't know when they changed that but it was definietly not a good design originally.  I really don't want to get in there again, but I'll tear it out in a heartbeat if it gets a drop in it! 

Thanks again!
Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
8v71
4 speed Spicer
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 06:26:24 AM »

Mmmmm.. Let's see here Gumpy being helpful. Now, why doesn't that surprise anyone up here in the Minneapolis area??

He's ours. So don't get any ideas about trying to get him and his family to move okay??

Glad it worked out for you Glenn,

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 07:30:25 AM »

Thanks Rick!  I can't imagine why Craig would want to move from Minnisquito to Michisquito!  Grin

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
8v71
4 speed Spicer
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 09:43:09 AM »

Thanks Rick!  I can't imagine why Craig would want to move from Minnisquito to Michisquito!  Grin

Glenn

He lived in Michisquito for awhile in a previous life...  pre-bus!

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: