Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 01:02:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Generator madness!!  (Read 3525 times)
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 11:35:10 AM »

Hi Lin,

Fuel lines are Blue / going out to the generator,  red is flowing back in.  Tube goes down about 2 feet.  It used to go down about 2' 3".  Copper, 1/2 ".  Maybe 8" from front of tank.

Thanks!
Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Airbag

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 11:44:17 AM »

I would check the fuel tank vent first. Mud wasps are great at plugging things.
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 12:38:37 PM »

Don't know how to simulate or test a "stopping" motion.  Or, why the generator would cut out when stopping. 

Phil,

Braking forces on the rest of the coach can be simulated with 100% accuracy simply by parking facing downhill (or, alternatively, jacking up the back of the coach).  You can correlate the steepness of the hill directly with braking force.  However, this will only get you up to fairly small fractions of a "G."  If your problem happens at only moderate braking, this is probably sufficient.

If this were my problem to solve, I would find a fairly steep hill to park on, and see if I can replicate the problem.  If this is due to a liquid sloshing to the front of a container, such as fuel in the tank or oil in the sump, this test should discover it.

HTH,

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 10:08:34 PM »

Thanks Sean, hope to be doing so tomorrow.   Generator died several times today braking, going forward,  even at very low speeds.

Also - Would not start at all, even after priming,  when fuel tank was 1/2 full (1/2 empty?).    I then topped off fuel level - completely full.  All good, generator started up & ran until we came to a slow stop.   The generator had only run a couple of minutes at that point.   

Started generator up after we were out of the city.  No stops were encountered as we were doing all freeway driving - and it ran for 2 - 3 hours w/no problems at all - also no stops during that time period.  Before we encountered our next offramp, I shut the a/c units down, then shut down the generator before we had any problems.  It can't be good for the a/cs to keep dying like that.

Thanks again!
Phil

bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 07:12:36 AM »

I am a Kubota Engine repair shop. On many aftermarket installations, brush chippers, grinders , light carts, etc; we have found that the engine will starve of fuel when the fuel tank is half empty. Kubota specifications require that if the fuel tank is lower than the engine, you must have an electric pump. Finally my experience's may help another Bus Nut. Your local kubota dealer will have a pump that fits a G1800 lawn mower that works great.
     BIG JOHN

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 10:22:56 AM »

Big John,

Thank you!!!   I really appreciate your jumping in, and the rest of the bus nuts as well.  I know I am getting some great help on a problem that has had me stuck for years.  Our fuel tank is definitely NOT above the generator.  It is at the same level.  And the rubber tubing flows 2 feet from the fuel tank, 8 feet across the bus,  and then 4 feet back to the generator.

Re; the electric fuel pump.  I had just purchased  2psi to 3.5 psi 12 volt fuel pump.  Is that close to the same spec?  I'd like to use temporarily until I can get in the correct model from Wrico out in California, they are who I deal with for parts.  We need to be moving again in just a couple of days.

Thanks again!

bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 10:59:05 AM »

I don't know the pressures pf The G-1800 pump, as it is preset and turns itself off at pressure. It is a diesel pump, and I caution against a pump not for diesel. We have had problems. The Kubota part # is k1211-95630 and cost $108.69... As to pressure and flow, I had one on my  Ford 351 Windsor, f350. testerone truck, and it worked.
   Big john

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 05:49:10 PM »

Similar pump at NAPA for around 20-40 bucks

or here

http://www.jcwhitney.com/UNIVERSAL-SOLID-STATE-ELECTRIC-FUEL-PUMPS/GP_2005671_N_111+200729928+600002064_10101.jcw?reviewflag=1#review

also find them on ebay, Craigslist, amazon

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 07:00:49 PM »

Thanks Big John,  will return first pump.   Smiley

Am currently moving Kubota electronic pump from Generator & over to fuel tank area.  My Kubota dealer (Wrico) & those on forum let me know that this pump works better closer to the fuel supply - push mode.  Didn't realize how much work this involved!  About 1/2 way complete.  Should be finished just in time for next outing.   I hope!!

Thanks again,  Kind Regards, Phil

plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 08:18:29 PM »

I would like to thank EVERYONE who contributed to this thread.  I know that what was contributed lead directly to the solution which fixed our generator cutoff problem.  It was a maddening 3+ years.  It was the great family rebellion of 2008, and family & friends rebellion in 2005 - both situations when it was 90+ degrees outdoors, and who knows HOW hot indoors - times when I was almost facing hot tar & feathers for toasting my family & friends during long drives.

Now - all fixed!! 

Also, I would like to thank Wrico - & specifically Jason who patiently spent lots of time on the phone working through what may be the problem.  I can't say enough good about the level of support I received from Wrico.   One of my good friends & client showed me how to construct a sturdy mounting bracket for the pump.  Thank you Burr!!

In the end, the solution was indeed to move generator fuel pump next to the fuel tank, and off of the generator itself.  This put the fuel pump in a position where it could PUSH the fuel, instead of PULL the fuel.  Something I learned on the forum & from Wrico - these fuel pumps are much better at pushing fuel than pulling fuel.  Unfortunately - I told my wife it would only take about 2 hours to move the pump.  Ha Ha - what was I thinking???!  3 days later...   Not full days, but you get the idea.  We were to be at a wedding rehearsal - out of town bus trip.  Let's just say we ate at the campground - - ha ha - oh well!!... 

I will post a picture of the relocated fuel pump.    It works like a champ!  The generator starts very quickly now, and runs very smooth no matter how bumpy the road, or how hard I apply the brakes. 

The only part of the solution I did not try was to add a check valve to the  fuel feed in the tank.  I may still give that a try.  If I do, I will post the results here.

Thanks again folks for putting so much thought & effort & great ideas into the responses - you guys are the BEST! 

My only remaining question is Why did I wait so long to post the question ??!!?!     Cheesy  Embarrassed

Kind Regards, Phil

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »

Well done! Another satisfied customer! LOL! Glad to hear it worked out! Grin  BK  Grin

PS I didn't contribute to the solution, but I followed it and was there for moral support!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
gyrocrasher

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2009, 02:33:26 AM »

Another victory, thanks to the members of this board. Smiley Mitch
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2009, 08:57:17 PM »

Phil,

This was a great thread.  My Kubota died one time at a stop light and had to be reprimed to restart similar to what you described.  I have a very similar fuel "plumbing" setup like yours.  I never figured out why it just died.

You might edit the title to the thread to read "generator dying", or "generator dies when braking", or something similar in case this ever needs to be searched.   This is a good read.

David
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: