Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 07:31:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to look for U-joints for steering column?  (Read 1015 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2009, 05:31:42 PM »

Where would I start looking for U-joints for my steering column?  I've never had to purchase a U-joint before.  I looked at McMaster-Carr, but nothing looked remotely close.  MCI doesn't stock the parts and won't/can't special order them.  The guy I talked with said they had never sold one according to the computer.  There is a guy in parts who used to work for Dina that was going get me the manufacturer and part number, but he never called me back.

I don't even know if the U-joints are metric or SAE sized.  The steering gear is by TRW, but I don't know if that means TRW had anything to do with the steering column.  I don't want to take the whole thing apart without some assurance I can get the parts.

The easiest way to get this taken care of would probably be to take the bus back to the local place that specializes in motorcoach and motrohome steering and tire issues, but I would like to avoid the cost and hassle.  (They are a 45 minute drive away.)

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 05:48:26 PM »

Guess if you knocked it apart, NAPA could probably measure the U joint and get you a replacement.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 05:54:46 PM »

Thanks, I wasn't sure if Napa could handle it.  The Napa store down the street looks at me like I am trying to buy parts for a Model T when I ask for large truck stuff most of the time.  (Probably have an easier time getting Model T parts.) I wasn't sure they would have a U-joint big enough.

I have trouble getting stuff as basic as 1.5" coolant hose even at the supersized Napa store that has racks full of heavy truck parts in the customer area.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 06:07:40 PM »

I know what you mean about NAPA.

I'd bet my life I could just about rebuild anything in our country from their parts warehouse. The problem is finding a counter person who can use the books, or even wants to spend any time looking to get us matched up with a correct part.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 07:34:44 PM »

What NJT said....al of it.

Napa can do that.  I did it for a 75 land cruiser.  They measure the cup OD and the distance between cups and "Da Book" sends you to the part number.  Everybody isn't smart enuf to do that though.  Try asking for the manager.  They are usually smarter and they swell up when people insinuate they are clever.

Good luck,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 07:46:05 PM »

Steering column u-joints are pretty common among many heavy duty applications, some are the same size as u-joints on a PTO on a dump or water truck. If your local Napa can't help, find another store, maybe a HD truck supply. Some typical part numbers (not necessarily for your application) Spicer 5-103X, that will get you in the ballpark.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: