Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 01:25:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery problem...  (Read 829 times)
Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2006, 07:35:29 PM »

As stated earlier, I had a problem starting the bus after I left the battery switch on for about a month (yeah, bad).  So, I got a charger and started to charge each battery.  One seem to take the charging as it should.  The other did not.  It did not seem to charge at all - the charger did not indicate any amp draw.  I checked the water level and it was ok.  These were new batteries in December.  Could the one battery just be bad or should I look for another problem.  Of course the bus won't even act as if it is getting any electricity at all.

Thanks for your imput...

Danny

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 07:53:32 PM »

You'll either have to take a Hydrometer test of each of the cells in the questionable battery or take it to a shop for a charge and load test.  It just might be a bad one.  In todays' world that's very possible.

Once you get your battery problem straightened out with a charged bank...watch closely when you put the negative terminal on the battery (hook all the other connections first) if there's even the tiniest arc in touching the terminal to the post...you have a drain.
How much can be determined by putting an ammeter in series with the Negative terminal.

Then it's just a matter of tracing out any accessories of a matching current draw and isolating the problem ite,.

Sounds simple...not so you'd notice.  But perseverance will pay off.

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 07:56:39 PM »

Danny I suspect a ground or bad connection, bad cable, or such somewhere when you say coach appears to have no power at all! I'd take all the battery connections loose and thourghly clean and inspect them! Shoot while I had the batteries loose I'd take them to where they were purchased and hav'm checked & if one is bad they should replace it under warranty! If the batteries are both good after cleaning the connections, and rehooking them if the problem still exists I'd move farther back like to the area near the starter! Check both the grounds and hot wires at the starter and at the junction with the engine cradel & chassis! If no problems there let us know and we'll get into it deeper! Oh yeah also use a volt meter & check to see that there is power on bothsides of the cut off switch! I've seen these fail more than once!  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: