Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 03:13:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gen location question..  (Read 1732 times)
travelingfools

Ignore
« on: June 15, 2009, 12:18:33 PM »

I scored a Onan 3500 gas generator from our fire hall for $38.00 (sealed bid..aparently no one else was interested  Grin). So my question is...Is there any problems / issues with mounting it in the engine compartment. The pas/rear compartment is empty and open to the engine area. Im thinking of keeping all my noise in one place... Any concerns or problems anyone can think off ?

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 01:05:55 PM »

No matter what, you got a great deal!  The only real drawback to putting it in the engine bay is noise under your bed at night.  I don't know if your model is air cooled or radiator cooled, but the air cooled units are very difficult if not impossible to put an enclosure around.  Do you know what RPM's yours runs at?  Some are 1800, some are 3600.  The 3600 RPM models are screamers!  Fire yours up, see how loud is is, then see if you can enclose it.  I put mine (radiator cooled) in my forward most bay on the drivers side with the radiator in the old air conditioning bay.  Some units will fit in there entirley.  Look up Jack's Orange Blossom.  He did a beautiful job of modifying that bay.  Good luck!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 01:12:51 PM »

Its air cooled...and it will be running 99% of the time only when we are going down the road to run the ac...I was thinging that when Im nmoving, there would be enough air running through the compartment...Just a guess though...

Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »

Nice job on the siding!  I just looked at your picture.

I'd bet that there is enough air flowing through to cool it.  Beyond that, look to see about maintenance issues (fuel filters, etc) that the genset would get in the way of.  If you KNOW that the noise won't be a problem for sleeping, then it might not be a bad place.  Good luck!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
8v71
4 speed Spicer
bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 02:45:51 PM »

PLEASE, pay attention to carbon monoxide. Our road air failed, so i just hooked up genset and left compartment door open 1 1/2 inch with block.10 milesdown the road , co2 monitor went crazy. I would like to meet you, so be careful.
    Big John

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 05:44:37 PM »

Mine is mounted in the center bay.  You need to think about were your going to run the exhaust also.

Good Luck, sounds like you got a steal.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 08:18:33 PM »

Is the Onan 3500 the "3500 Homesite" model?

If so, you got one heck of a deal for $38, but I am not sure that I would advise installing this in the bus.

As I understand it, this model is a smallish portable generator for home emergency use, or jobsite. It is not like the onans made for RV installation.  That brings up several issues.

First off, be aware of what you are looking at from a noise level standpoint. These type of generators are notoriously loud.  Onan quotes 68 dB for this model, but pay special attention to the fact that the dB rating was measured at a distance of 7 meters.  Onan typically measures the sound level for their RV models at a distance of 3 meters. This means the 3500 Homesite will be 75-76 dB measured at the equivalent 3 meter distance.

The Homesite 3500 is rated at 20.8 continuous amps @120 VAC, and 23.3 amps Max. I suggest that you double check your air conditioner equipment, paying special attention to the start-up current draw.  You might be able to run one roof air, but certainly not a second, or much more of any other applicances for that matter.

The Homesite has only the pull cord start with no provision for electric start. It has a top mounted 4 gallon gas tank with gravity feed.  Lastly, you have to figure out what to do with the exhaust.

Personally, I just don't think it would be worth all the effort to try and permanently mount this type of unit. Seems like there would be considerable work to deal with the noise, exhaust, etc.,...  and when you are done, will you be happy with only 2500 watts?   Of course, if this is not the Homesite model, it may be a different story.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 05:13:05 AM by WEC4104 » Logged

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 12:17:21 PM »

Ok..I had a brain fart..its not an Onan..Its a Kohler 3500.

Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 12:27:38 PM »

It's hard to give you concrete advice without the actual model number.  Is this an RV generator?

Gasoline fuel systems are not something to be trifled with.  I would recommend you follow the requirements outlined in NFPA 1192 to the letter.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 04:24:15 PM »

Ah,... okay then.   I'm not familar with the Kohler 3500, and a quick check of the website www.kohlerpower.com didn't list this model.  In their categories for RV/Residential/Commercial/Mobile, pretty much all the units were 7KW or larger with nothing having the 3500 model name.   Any chance your generator has a Kohler engine installed in a unit sold under another name?   Or it could be a discontinued model.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 06:47:08 PM »

Ah,... okay then.   I'm not familar with the Kohler 3500, and a quick check of the website www.kohlerpower.com didn't list this model.  In their categories for RV/Residential/Commercial/Mobile, pretty much all the units were 7KW or larger with nothing having the 3500 model name.   Any chance your generator has a Kohler engine installed in a unit sold under another name?   Or it could be a discontinued model.
Its an older model..probably from the late 70's. It was installed inside our Firehall Substation as emergency backup power. Probably has a total of about 6 hours on it if that much. Its been well maintained with the oil changed regularly. It is a pull start only, but starts every time on the first pull.

Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 06:54:54 PM »

Any chance you could post a picture?

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
8v71
4 speed Spicer