Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 07:32:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Generator and Slide Extension  (Read 3730 times)
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2009, 06:05:35 PM »

Well, my Ole Honda Gas generator decided to throw a rod right through the casing exactly in front of our property on return from our trip to the Keys.   It least it had the decency to wait until we got home.  Tongue

Well after much contemplating and consideration I broke down and bought a Powertech diesel generator.

I salvaged the original roller mounts and supports from the home built slide and made a few changes.

I added an extension that allows the generator to completely slide out for full access to all parts, yet the extension is completely removable and stows easily out of the way.

Here are a few pictures of what I did...."Click on pictures to enlarge"

Cliff

This picture is of the extension as it was being fabricated.

The slide bracket on the inside is 1 1/2" square tubing, welded on top of that is 1 1/2" angle with rollers at 4" centers.

The 1 1/2 square tubing has angle welded to the side which is bolted through the steel floor supports.

The extensions are 1 1/4" square tubing with 1 1/2" angle on welded on top.  The 1 1/4" fits snug in the 1 1/2", but slides easily.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 05:21:34 PM by FloridaCliff » Logged

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 06:08:19 PM »

This is a picture from the side, the support going to the ground is only need if the generator is extended beyond the end.

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 06:10:33 PM »

Here is the support bracket removed.

It is held on with two bolts, when needed.

There is a recess it sits in so it cannot tilt.

Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 06:12:33 PM »

The slides, slide completely inside the built in slide componets and are easily stored.

Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 06:14:27 PM »

The slide extension painted and with the rollers installed

Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 06:15:55 PM »

Getting ready to install the new beast

Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 06:17:24 PM »

On the extension, completely out of the bay

Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 06:18:13 PM »

Fully extended, another angle

Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 06:20:52 PM »

Fully retracted and inside the bay.

FYI, the generator cowlings are off in all the pictures.

NEXT PROJECT.......new windshields

Cliff

Mark Twain
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 06:41:38 PM »

Well done! I have never seen an extension before, great idea, thanks!

You just had to remind me that I need to do that for ours didn't you! It'll wait, bosses list comes first! Roll Eyes

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 07:02:50 PM »

That is super cool!  Do you have a method to keep the genset from rolling all of the way out of the slide during work?  I couldn't tell from the pictures.  If you dont, you could just put holes through both slide pieces and use pins and clips.  Thanks for the pictures!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 08:20:28 PM »

Well done! I have never seen an extension before, great idea, thanks!

You just had to remind me that I need to do that for ours didn't you! It'll wait, bosses list comes first! Roll Eyes

Paul

Paul,

I had planned on doing this with the previous generator, but it was lighter and I could easily get to everything, so it went on the back burner.

The diesel is much heavier and I wanted to be able to have 100% access to it pieces and parts, plus it made it easier to install, (didn't have to get the lift inside the side of the bus).

Its strong enough that I don't even need the brace unless I completely pull it out of the coach.

Every once in a while a plan comes together.... Tongue

Cliff

Mark Twain
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 06:03:29 AM »

I have seen a similar setup that uses a flip down boat trailer wheel as the front support.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 06:31:51 AM »

Don't you think it would have looked better if you had painted it gold.  Roll Eyes

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 06:45:05 AM »

I have seen a similar setup that uses a flip down boat trailer wheel as the front support.

Len,

I actually have an alternate brace I am working on using one of those trailer lifts.

I built that one for the perfect height to my barn floor, but the 2nd edition brace will have one of those.

If I ever "really" need it, I bet I won't be sitting at the house(murphys law) Wink

Cliff

Mark Twain
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: