Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 10:08:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Generator and Slide Extension  (Read 3737 times)
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 06:59:30 AM »

Do you have a method to keep the genset from rolling all of the way out of the slide during work?  I couldn't tell from the pictures. 
Glenn

Glenn,

The rollers are good, but its heavy enough that it wont go anywhere without a tug or push.

When the outer brace was being built I used some longer bolts to hold it in place, these also turned out to be good  stops.  If they are put in with the threads towards the center it will stop the slide from going past the end.  With the threads toward the outside it will let the slide by for removal of the generator or let it extend out further.

Cliff  

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 05:21:36 AM »

Don't you think it would have looked better if you had painted it gold.  Roll Eyes

Maybe the generator.. Grin $$$$

I don't have much in the slide....it was all laying around just begging to be arced on... Cool

Or am I missing something  Huh

Cliff
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 04:41:44 PM by FloridaCliff » Logged

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
DSweet

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 04:34:08 PM »

You have given this old bus-nut some food for thought, the design is
very good and it gives me an idea of how to build "drawers" for my bays.
Blessings,
David
gus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 05:14:49 PM »

Cliff,

Was your Honda an EV6010?

If not, what was it and how many hours did it have?

I didn't think Hondas ever threw rods!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »

Cliff,

Was your Honda an EV6010?

If not, what was it and how many hours did it have?

I didn't think Hondas ever threw rods!!

Gus,

It was a ES6500, which is the contractors version of the EV6010, in other words it came in a portable cage, but had the same engine and was watercooled.  Those things run around $4500 new.

I bought it a couple of years back from Pete (RTS/daytona).  I really don't know how many hours it had. I think he bought it used.  When I bought it had a little hesitation and we both thought it might need a carburater rebuild.   I had about 20 hours on it and it threw the cam shaft pulley while on the road.  I replaced that after driving 10 hours in July with no A/C to get home and the cam(it had wallowed out the key way, which was the cause of the hesitation) for about $250 in parts, my labor, and it ran good, no hesitation.   I had about another 100 hours on it when it threw the rod.  It cost me about 14.50 an hour to own it.  I am hoping for a little better cost/use ratio with my diesel.   Cry

Cliff

Mark Twain
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 04:18:23 AM »

Nice job Cliff. Looking at your pictures makes me wish I had more bay storage so I could roll out our Onan. I see how you coiled the electrical line, but how did you get the muffler to roll? Is it attached to the gen set as well?

Dave

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 05:18:23 AM »

Nice job Cliff. Looking at your pictures makes me wish I had more bay storage so I could roll out our Onan. I see how you coiled the electrical line, but how did you get the muffler to roll? Is it attached to the gen set as well?

Dave

Hi Dave,

The exhaust manifold is on the right side(towards rear of coach) of the generator, it faces down.  Because the generator slide gave me a little height, the exhaust will bend to inside the space, through a gap between the slide and the generator support plate, where it will run into a pipe union just beyond the entire slide/generator.  From there it goes through the floor, into the muffler and out the side.

With the union disconnected, I can pull the unit straight out.  The pipes on the generator and those through the floor are completely supported independently.

I am fortunate to have a good friend with a professional pipe bender, so we are making a second exhaust setup if I want to run it extended.  It will just hook onto the union.

Cliff

Mark Twain
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 05:35:02 AM »

Thanks for the explanation Cliff. Once again you did a fine job. I admire work like that.

Dave

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 01:20:33 PM »

Nice job Cliff! And you have given me yet MORE ideas!  (bitter sweet- Bitter for Linda, sweet for me!  Grin)
 One day I hope to pull the trigger on a diesel gen. also. One fuel is my goal. I'm just not sure I have the space. I may have to get "creative"!  Roll Eyes Cheesy

Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
gus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 06:46:39 PM »

Cliff,

Thanks. I did about the same thing as you except I made a sled instead of using wheels.

The EV6010 is so well mounted that I saw no need for wheels.

So far I have 180 hrs since new without so much as a whimper, but, of course, for that money I would expect no less!!

It is quiet and vibration free, things my old Onan would not provide, and the Honda is less than half the weight.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 05:09:20 AM »

Sorry to resurrect an old post.

However, Cliff, what did you do with your exhaust? How did you route that out?

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 05:53:13 AM »

generator slides are nice but they do create  more noise mine had a SS flex pipe for the exhaust that was always a problem for me so I removed the slide and remote mounted the filters, radiator and oil drain.

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 06:17:29 AM »

generator slides are nice but they do create  more noise mine had a SS flex pipe for the exhaust that was always a problem for me so I removed the slide and remote mounted the filters, radiator and oil drain.
good luck

Sweet idea. How come I didn't think of that Huh ?
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: