Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 09:55:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I scored a free roof air yesterday, need a shroud!  (Read 4862 times)
Dallas

« on: June 17, 2009, 06:40:39 AM »

Yesterday I was suppose to clean the crud out of a roof air on a 5th wheel, but the owner decided to just upgrade and replace it instead and started to undo the shroud, but ended up breaking it into a kazillion chunks.
So, I have possession of a 2 year old Coleman RSV roof A/C that works quite well since I pulled the cooking grease and smoke tar out of the evaporator fins. I need to find a shroud for it, if it's cheap enough. Any one have a used one laying around?

This is a Coleman RSV 7335, I believe it is the Mach version.

If nothing comes up, I was wondering about the viability of making a shroud out of sheet aluminum, making flat sides with vents to allow air in to the condenser and open at the back? Would this work as well as the plastic shroud? how about if I lined it with styrofoam insulation and reflectix? would this help?

Thanks for any ideas!

Dallas
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 07:09:33 AM »

If you can't find one, how about the possibility of fabricating a fiberglass one?  Build yourself a mold/shape and then overlay it with the glass?

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 07:16:38 AM »

Dallas,

Don't know about where your at, but a short trip down the interstate on a Monday usually yields one a/c cover and two or thee orange life jackets..... Grin

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 07:21:16 AM »

Gee thanks Cliff.  Now he is thinking about making me hang out the door to grab one as we pass by.  I guess I am lucky that we are not close to any Interstate Hwy here in Texas.   Shocked

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 07:31:57 AM »

Cat,

Tie a rope around your waist and to his neck...He will increase the concern for your safety.. Grin

I have probably seen dozens in the last few months, in various stages.

But know that I will be looking....a dry spell.......But then maybe not.....

Cliff

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Dallas

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 07:33:53 AM »

Cat put her foot down... she won't let me tie a rope to her and let her hang out the door. She's a spoilsport sometimes! Maybe it's because I only know how to tie a slipknot.  Grin

Dallas,

Don't know about where your at, but a short trip down the interstate on a Monday usually yields one a/c cover and two or thee orange life jackets..... Grin

Cliff

If you knew how bad I am at any sort of autobody work, you wouldn't even consider allowing me close to a can of fiberglass and catalyst.
Cat would have to get the DA sander and the sawzall to get me loose!

If you can't find one, how about the possibility of fabricating a fiberglass one?  Build yourself a mold/shape and then overlay it with the glass?
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 08:02:37 AM »

Okay then,  aluminum it is!!! Grin Grin

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 08:02:51 AM »

I'd be surprised if you can get a useable used one for cheap. They're all pretty much like the one you tried to remove if it has been outside all this time.  Sad

The one on my tin turd is barely holding on as it is now. Dad had to pay a bunch when the last one disappeared mid trip.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Dallas

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 08:10:56 AM »

Yup, new shrouds are expensive... for this one the lowest price I can find is $120 and I have seen them up to $213. $200? that's 25% of the cost of a whole new unit!

I'd be surprised if you can get a useable used one for cheap. They're all pretty much like the one you tried to remove if it has been outside all this time.  Sad

The one on my tin turd is barely holding on as it is now. Dad had to pay a bunch when the last one disappeared mid trip.
bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 08:13:56 AM »

I have one. Not new but usable. Dont know model. We will be at Cabelas Ft worth Sat &Sun for cookoff. free. Call or Pm and i will bring.
   Big John

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 08:28:34 AM »

Duct tape, what's the matter with you guys anyway. A bus converters best friend! Roll Eyes

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 08:35:26 AM »

Duct tape, what's the matter with you guys anyway. A bus converters best friend! Roll Eyes

Paul

Hey,   And a little white paint! Wink

Cliff

Mark Twain
poppi

mci 8 L10 ZF tranmission; helena

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 08:42:36 AM »

Dallas.....
     I envisioned nice light and dark wood strips with a fine hand rubbed finish to bring out the wood tones.

So instead of a wort on your bus you could have a fine peace furniture........just make it strong enough
      to sit on Smiley

I guess thinking outside the box is fine if one has a box to begin with.

Skip

Snow disappeared......Now where did I put that bus?
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 09:49:19 AM »

Dallas,

HTR has the same problem with a different AC model.  I mentioned that to Don Fairchild and he suggested "Family RV in Florida".  He has used them for hard to find AC stuff with success and he also said they were reasonable.

Good luck,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 09:49:46 AM »

Dallas,

You might try dumpster diving at the nearest RV parts or service vendors.  Take-offs get chucked all the time, and you might be able to salvage the shroud from one of them.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Dallas

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 10:03:33 AM »

Thanks guys, all good suggestions. I hate when I have such a good piece of equipment, and I have to cobble it together.

Sean, that was one of my first ideas, but unfortunately, we are the nearest RV supply store in the area, except for one about 40 miles away that doesn't do much more than sell parts, (About like us).

JohnEd, Do you have a phone number for Family RV? I'd give them a call and see what they have available, and if shipping isn't too high, could have it sent here.

Skip, I like that idea.. maybe I can use the best of both worlds, build an aluminum housing for it and use some of the really cool cedar we have here to make siding for it.

Cliff and Paul... I am a great believer in our friend, Duct Tape, along with his buddy, white paint. that would rank right up there with those people that make clothes and shoes and suitcases out of duct tape! Maybe It could get into the Guiness book as the biggest ball!

John, I really wish I could make it up there, but we'll probably be pretty busy this weekend cleaning up camping spots where we had some long term campers pull out.

Dallas
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 11:28:31 AM »

Dallas;

The place is family rv center II in newport richey, fl ph # 727-389-0134 fax 727-847-3318.

hope this helps

Don

P.S. say hi to cat for me

Thanks
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 11:46:26 AM »

Dallas,

They have an ebay store.

Thats were I bought my units, best price I could find at the time.

Cliff

Mark Twain
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 11:53:06 AM »

I bought my rooftops from Family RV, but mine are all Carrier.

The best new shroud is the Tuffmax by MaxxAir that fits Coleman.  Believe it or not, Camping World seems to have the cheapest price right now at $130 if you have President's Club.  They even have free shipping.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 12:13:05 PM »

I have seen them fabricated out of sheet metal.  I do not know how much a shop would charge to make one though.  I have a general practice of coating the rooftop air covers with Koolseal.  I think it makes them last longer.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 12:41:26 PM »

Guys,

I am pretty sure that Dallas is talking about the "interior shroud".

Dallas,

If you simply left it open and let the chilled air flow to the floor, it will owrk a lot better and cool more that it would with the shroud in place.  Then a very small fan placed on the floor pointing straigt up will even out the temp inside.  To try this your cost "outlay" would be the price of a cheap fan you could eventually use anywhere.  AND if that didn't work for you you are just back to your current plan "A".

john

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 12:51:09 PM »

No, he is talking about the exterior shroud.  Interior is not a problem.  We have just been offered a second one so we can set up to be really comfy in the bus.

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 12:57:51 PM »

Dallas - Your an RV parts place? - Just call Coast Distribution @ 800-495-5858 - You may have to set up an account w/ sales tax # - I don't have a catalog newer than 2008 - but their dealer discounts on rooftops (and parts maybe?) were good - HTH

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 01:02:44 PM »

Dallas, I bought from these people before it is a after market and last longer than the Coleman www.icontechltd.com   I think but the phone # is 1-888-362 4266 they were around 100 bucks with shipping.     good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Nusa

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 01:03:52 PM »

If you decide to fabricate, I bet an old hard-sided suitcase of about the right size could make a good starting point. Check the thrift stores for cast-offs. Put holes in the right places, figure out how to fasten it down, paint it, and you're good to go.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: