I would suggest sticking with the bleach to avoid extra problem that you donít need.Occupational Safety and Health Guideline for Hydrogen Peroxide
1. Conditions contributing to instability: Exposure to radiant heat (sunlight), sources of ignition, such as, heat or open flame; and physical or mechanical disturbances can create a potential fire or explosion hazard.
2. Incompatibilities: Contact between hydrogen peroxide and combustible materials such as, wood, paper, oil, etc., may cause immediate spontaneous ignition or combustion. Mixed with organic materials such as alcohols, acetone, and other ketones; aldehydes, and their anhydrides; and glycerol can cause violent explosions. Spontaneous ignition may occur when hydrogen peroxide is added to cotton (cellulose). Contact with metals including iron, copper, chromium, lead, silver, manganese, sodium, potassium, magnesium, nickel, gold, platinum; metal alloys such as, brass or bronze; metal oxides such as lead oxides, mercury oxides, or manganese dioxide; and many metal salts, like potassium permanganate or sodium iodate could result in violent explosions. Tremendous explosions can also be caused by unstable mixtures with concentrated mineral acids.
2. Effects on Humans: Hydrogen peroxide is an irritant of the eyes, mucous membranes, and skin. Inhalation of high concentrations of the vapor or mist may cause extreme irritation of the nose and throat [Hathaway et al. 1991]. The inhalation of 7 ppm causes lung irritation in humans [NLM 1992]. Severe systemic poisoning may cause headache, dizziness, vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, numbness, convulsions, pulmonary edema, unconsciousness, and shock. Exposure for a short period of time to the mist or spray may cause stinging and tearing of the eyes [Hathaway et al. 1991]. Splashes of high concentrations of hydrogen peroxide in the eyes may cause severe corneal damage. At very low concentrations (1 to 3 percent), instillation of hydrogen peroxide into the eye causes severe pain that later subsides [Grant 1986]. Skin contact with liquid hydrogen peroxide causes a temporary whitening or bleaching of the skin; if the skin is not washed promptly, redness and blisters may develop. Ingestion of hydrogen peroxide may cause irritation of the upper gastrointestinal tract and severe damage to the esophagus and stomach [Hathaway et al. 1991]. Hydrogen peroxide has caused DNA damage in in vitro human test systems [NIOSH 1995].Sacrificial Anodes Rod in Hot Water Heater
The bottom-line is that by using either bleach or hydrogen-peroxide can have a dangerous side affect while treating the potable water supply. I believe bleach is more corrosive than hydrogen-peroxide but more reactive to most metal and some plastic & can be explosive. Remember, most hot water heater contain a magnesium rod. It may not mean anything.
Sojourn for Christ, Gerald