Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 08:39:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: funky water in fresh water tank  (Read 2348 times)
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 05:34:12 AM »

I would suggest sticking with the bleach to avoid extra problem that you donít need.

Occupational Safety and Health Guideline for Hydrogen Peroxide
* Reactivity

1. Conditions contributing to instability: Exposure to radiant heat (sunlight), sources of ignition, such as, heat or open flame; and physical or mechanical disturbances can create a potential fire or explosion hazard.

2. Incompatibilities: Contact between hydrogen peroxide and combustible materials such as, wood, paper, oil, etc., may cause immediate spontaneous ignition or combustion. Mixed with organic materials such as alcohols, acetone, and other ketones; aldehydes, and their anhydrides; and glycerol can cause violent explosions. Spontaneous ignition may occur when hydrogen peroxide is added to cotton (cellulose). Contact with metals including iron, copper, chromium, lead, silver, manganese, sodium, potassium, magnesium, nickel, gold, platinum; metal alloys such as, brass or bronze; metal oxides such as lead oxides, mercury oxides, or manganese dioxide; and many metal salts, like potassium permanganate or sodium iodate could result in violent explosions. Tremendous explosions can also be caused by unstable mixtures with concentrated mineral acids.

2. Effects on Humans: Hydrogen peroxide is an irritant of the eyes, mucous membranes, and skin. Inhalation of high concentrations of the vapor or mist may cause extreme irritation of the nose and throat [Hathaway et al. 1991]. The inhalation of 7 ppm causes lung irritation in humans [NLM 1992]. Severe systemic poisoning may cause headache, dizziness, vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, numbness, convulsions, pulmonary edema, unconsciousness, and shock. Exposure for a short period of time to the mist or spray may cause stinging and tearing of the eyes [Hathaway et al. 1991]. Splashes of high concentrations of hydrogen peroxide in the eyes may cause severe corneal damage. At very low concentrations (1 to 3 percent), instillation of hydrogen peroxide into the eye causes severe pain that later subsides [Grant 1986]. Skin contact with liquid hydrogen peroxide causes a temporary whitening or bleaching of the skin; if the skin is not washed promptly, redness and blisters may develop. Ingestion of hydrogen peroxide may cause irritation of the upper gastrointestinal tract and severe damage to the esophagus and stomach [Hathaway et al. 1991]. Hydrogen peroxide has caused DNA damage in in vitro human test systems [NIOSH 1995].

Sacrificial Anodes Rod in Hot Water Heater

The bottom-line is that by using either bleach or hydrogen-peroxide can have a dangerous side affect while treating the potable water supply. I believe bleach is more corrosive than hydrogen-peroxide but more reactive to most metal and some plastic & can be explosive. Remember, most hot water heater contain a magnesium rod. It may not mean anything.

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
Dallas

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 05:55:52 AM »

Gerald,
I don't think there is much to worry about with OTC Hydrogen Peroxide. It's only 3% pure, most of the rest of it is distilled water.

the link you posted:

Occupational Safety and Health Guideline for Hydrogen Peroxide

deals with H(2)O(2) in strengths of 60-90%, and yes, at those strengths, it is highly dangerous.

On the other hand, NaOCl, (Sodium Chlorite), or household bleach, (which is normally diluted to 5.25%) can become just as dangerous in higher concentrations.

By the way, for those of you who don't know, Hydrogen Peroxide is just water with one extra Oxygen molecule and bleach is just water and salt that has had an electrical charge run through it.

Fun stuff, chemistry!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 05:57:21 AM »

Gerald, that is a very interesting post but you need to check out the use of peroxide most all of the municipal water is treated with it now 32% food grade as they are trying to get away from chlorine use.
All new water treatment plants being built are using peroxide and ultra violet light for the treatment of water very little use of chlorine now.
I hope I don't blow up as I have one on the house here in AZ      good luck
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 06:15:08 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 07:15:58 AM »

We are going to take a shower and do the final quality check.

Am I the only guy that caught the "we" in this statement??

Maybe I should try the old "let's make the water weird so we can check together to see if it is better honey" angle.

Just kidding... and we don't want any more details!!!  LOL!

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 07:36:56 AM »

Yes Rick

The shower is built for "we" to use -- One of the unique features in "our" self designed coach.  And as another update we were very happy with the quality of the water now. I know you said you did not need more details.

Gearld

We suffered no skin eye or mucous membrane irritation.  In fact we are happy that we were able to shower and not have any unpleasant odor or the sticky feeling from the "BAD" water

When flushing the tanks and water heater the water from the tank was clear but had a distinct odor however the water from the water heater was murky slimy and very smelly.

The good news is that everything is back to normal now.

Thank you all for the input and helpful advice.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: