Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 04:22:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8V92 with antifreeze in oil  (Read 2438 times)
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« on: July 23, 2009, 06:25:23 PM »

A freind is looking at buying MCI that has been sitting for a few years. Antifreeze has leaked into the pan. Question, Is it likely to seal up by driving and warming up the engine? Most likely cly o rings?  Thanks  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 06:55:42 PM »

DD's seldom fix themselves.

Could be any number of things.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 07:01:46 PM »

It will probably continue to leak.   
If I was doin' the buying, I'd want to negotiate a price comensurate with buying a bus with a known bad engine.   Could be, as you say, cylinder O rings.   Could also be cracked head (s), block, liners, intercooler...ad infinitum.  To repair any of the above is major bucks.   
That said, the only way to prove that it won't leak is to change the oil and try it. 
It may work out. 
If the engine was operated with anti-freeze in the oil...it probably isn't worth dinking with.  It's a 'core.'
It's possible that the engine has a history of heating up.  8V92s in most MC9s and down would heat up.  Later versions had better radiators.    You could check and verify that the bus has 8V92 rad cores.  If not, plan on retrofitting radiators too.   If you find a bad engine and undersized radiators, the owner will probably have to pay your friend to take the bus.    What model bus are we talking about? 
You're probably aware of such, but the engine shouldn't be started until the oil is changed. 
Treat that puppy like it has a bad engine. 
Sitting for a couple of years probably wouldn't have too muchy deleterious effect on the bus...as long as it doesn't leak onto the inside floor.
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 07:12:46 PM »

JR, Not sure of the model.  Newer than a 9. I will have to ask.  Tom

Tom Yaegle
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 06:03:20 AM »

Tom, I have an ISM in my bus now because of this problem.  My 6v92 started leaking coolant past the cylinder liner o-rings just sitting in my drive way.  No way would I assume that motor is anything other than a rebuild.
-Brian
cody

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 06:10:27 AM »

Brian, we need to know how the trip to Mount Rushmore went, lol, hadn't heard anything on it for a while now.  Don't want to hijack the thread but was wondering.
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 06:46:28 AM »

Pressurize cooling system to at least 5 psi or whatever the spec. call for to see if it goes to down continually. If it does…you have a leak or leaks whether it internal (engine) and/or external. BTW…All good hose & connecting clamps are design to withstand at least 15 psi.

6 or 8V DD has a water pump seal. If it is leaking…it will go into the crankcase oil if the pump’s drain hole is plugged or worn out bearings.

COOLING SYSTEM PRESSURE TEST

Stant Radiator Pressure Tester

You will probably need this for a bus that has no twist-on pressure cap.
Universal Cooling System Adapter

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

Moderator note:  Link for the Stant Radiator Pressure Tester updated at the request of the store owner.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 05:43:48 AM by HighTechRedneck » Logged

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 07:00:01 AM »

Tom, only 2 things will cause a 92 series to leak around the liners
1 wrong antifreeze
2  run hot  
 Make it 3 if the re builder used a vegetable base soap in time they will leak
This is just not a Detroit 2 stroke problem Cat, Cummins or any wet liner engine will do the same I have all different engines over the years they all will leak if the manufactures guidelines are not followed and sometime even when they are followed     

Good Luck
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:11:30 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 03:52:47 PM »

Brian, we need to know how the trip to Mount Rushmore went, lol, hadn't heard anything on it for a while now.  Don't want to hijack the thread but was wondering.

Cody,
Thanks for asking!  Here is where I posted my update:

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=12292.msg132781#msg132781

We had an awesome time!
cody

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 04:04:12 PM »

I missed that I guess lol, sounds like a great run, it's on the list of things I want to see, I've got the wedding photo book from my parents wedding (their both gone now), they got married in 1941 and they took a honeymoon trip to yellowstone with a stop at mount rushmore, some day I'd like to retrace their route, they took a bunch of pics.  Now back to the thread, sorry guys for the detour.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: