Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 05:29:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A new day is dawning at Bus Conversions Magazine  (Read 13253 times)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2009, 06:13:11 PM »

I was thinking a year's subscription extension.

That's $36 (by my last account of subscription prices). A mere pittance considering what large magazines pay for articles, and realizing the low profitability potential of this one. Plus, the contributor would technically be getting compensation for a whole year  Smiley

Just a thought.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2009, 07:27:44 PM »

Hi Folks,

One of my ideas for the magazine is to have a few members be followed through their entire conversion.

Like having monthly progress reports with updated pictures as their conversion evolves into their dream..

I think this would be a very popular section of the mag. Most likely even better then being a centerfold!

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2009, 07:39:26 PM »

One more thing..

The one great value this company has is the very good traffic on this BBS.  Mike needs to make this magazine work with our help.

He has invested all his time and I'm sure $$ too, to share his passion about this hobby with us.

I think he needs to attract major advertizers and the only real value they would like in these hard times is to advertize on the BBS

where they know they would be seen and get a return on their investment.

If you guys can deal with having ads on the top of the pages, it would be a giant help to Mike..... I know I will adjust to help him out!

It's for a good cause and I want this site to always be here and free for us to use.

Hoping you guys will understand
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2009, 09:08:08 PM »

I for one would not mind sharing my build ,And boy this would be right from square one .The new engine awaits ,I my self believe that it would benefit those coming in to the hobby behind me.
 I like this sharing thing with like minded(also nuts)folk,and as said in another post,would like to see the mag become a premium first rate item(we do need one badly),support American when possible ,I always do.
  Pretty cool when you can go on a board and Get (free)the answers to your ?s ,sell (free)yer stuff,stay in touch,stay in tune,sharpen yer wits(if ya got any left  Grin),I've lost mind in the confusion,coarse I'm only here for the free adult beverages Wink,waiting... LOL.I'll share my story,if it helps you out ,no compensation required.

P.S,don't forget the Heineken Roll Eyes

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
MCI-RICK

1986 TMC 102A3 6V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2009, 06:29:33 AM »

Nick,

If adds at the top of the pages helps, so be it!  Why should it bother anyone?  We can all benefit from a good magazine.

Following a few members through their conversions is a great idea!  Kinda like "This Old House" does with their projects.  That could attract advertisers and increase subscriptions too.     

I'm just starting my conversion and would love to follow along as other buses are being converted.  As they say a picture is worth a thousand words.  Pictures with thorough description would make each copy a must have for the guy converting or the guy just thinking about it.  I think the mag will also help those intimidated by the conversion process and are still sitting on the fence instead of jumping in.

I agree with Van, 

I like this sharing thing with like minded(also nuts)folk,and as said in another post,would like to see the mag become a premium first rate item(we do need one badly),support American when possible ,I always do.
  Pretty cool when you can go on a board and Get (free)the answers to your ?s ,sell (free)yer stuff,stay in touch,stay in tune,sharpen yer wits(if ya got any left  Grin) Roll Eyes

Rick

Aim high but look out below
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2009, 07:46:01 AM »

Rick wrote: Kinda like "This Old House" does with their projects.

Rick,

The PO of my coach actually wrote three articles for BCM and they were titled "This Ole Bus"

He never actuallly started the conversion, but put out a lot of his idea's.

I had actually thought of writing an update to it.......

Maybe someday...

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
MCI-RICK

1986 TMC 102A3 6V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2009, 07:56:24 AM »

Cliff,

I really think it'll draw readers and subscribers alike.

A follow up or update is good idea.

Rick

Aim high but look out below
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2009, 08:15:39 AM »

Question:  I asked Mike K this and got no response...Can I have the subscription delivered both ways?  I don't know what it costs to trans the thing "electronic like" but it can't be much....he said without a clue. Tongue  So, once I get readmitted to the hardcopy crowd what would be my additional charge?

John

John,  I'll have to look up your subscription when we have the subscription database in our hands (next couple days) to see how many issues are left on your subscription.  The print edition is $10/year more than the email/online version.  So it would be a prorated amount off of that depending on how many issues left on the subscription.  I'll drop you an email once I have the subscription database in my hands.

The current subscription process does have an option for getting it both ways for $20 extra.  But in the last 6 months, nobody that has used the online subscription system has chosen that option.  Quite a few have gone email/online only, but most still choose print.  (Says something about print still having an audience doesn't it?)  With that in mind we will be reviewing the rate for the dual option. I will announce the dual option rate when we make a decision on it.
Kevin Warnock

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2009, 09:02:04 AM »

Nick,

I am fine with ads appearing here on the BBS. In fact, I think it's fine to sell classified ads that will run right here in this section of the bbs. When the ads are on a special ad section like they are now, nobody will see them unless they are looking to buy something. But a main idea of advertising is to get people to buy stuff when they didn't know they needed anything.

The paid ads could be marked as such, or color coded perhaps. We all already deal with zillions of ads in our email boxes, so seeing even a large number of ads here in the forum won't kill us. And it could help the financial situation for the magazine quite a bit.

Just to be clear, I am fine with ads running all mixed in with the regular posts. Banner display ads are OK as well, but I would limit them to a certain place on the page, and not have too many of them per page. For an example of how one very popular tech blog handles ads, check out TechCrunch.com. They devote fully the right third of the screen to display ads. TechCrunch makes hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars a year on these ads. I actually think the number is in the millions now.

I read this forum every day of the year, and I would never cut back just because of ads. Every newspaper and magazine I read is filled with ads, and that does not limit my interest at all. In fact, in our hobby, ads are content I am interested in. I learn from ads, and even like ads, particularly classified ads where there is a real deal to be had perhaps.

Hope this helps.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2009, 11:07:47 AM »

I am fine with banner ads.  Over at BNO, I often click through a few ads just to bring Ian a few pennies.
National Bus Trader offers four free sample issues on request, might be a good way to attract some new blood.  Also, some complimentary copies to bus dealers who sell shells (by the seashore?).

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
JeromeBettis
COO/Vice President
Editor

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2009, 09:12:27 AM »

Thank you for all the support and the advice.  We are listening and more importantly reacting. 

I respect the passion and expertise that flows through the BCM bulletin board.  As it relates to content, I am always looking for bus nuts to profile, technical pieces, and of course, a monthly centerfold. 

Feel free to contact me directly with your story ideas or contributions: chad@busconversions.com

The future is bright.  Come share in the glow.

Chad

I'm listening.  Send your feedback.
Kevin Warnock

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2009, 12:45:55 PM »

On the front page of busconversions.com there is a button labeled 'magazine' in the upper left.

The first drop down element of this button reads 'view sample'. When one clicks this, there is a message that reads 'To Do: Create Sample Magazine Page'.

I suggest that you're missing a prime sales opportunity here. I think you should put an entire issue on this link, as if the whole issued were scanned front to back, with all the ads just as they appear. I haven't seen the PDF version of the magazine, but maybe that is already perfect.

In fact, I would put half a dozen issues online, and rotate which issues are available for free, with no warning, to keep people coming back to the site on the chance they'll get a free issue. I would also go way back into the archives for this project. The issues from 5 years ago are still great reading and very helpful to an enthusiast. I never throw out my issues, and I do read them years later for fun. I've only been a bus nut since 2001 or so, so I've never seen the issues from 10 or 17 years ago, but would love to. While you may not have every right to publish them, I really doubt anyone is going to sue you, and in fact, I think many would be flattered their work was still viewed as interesting. To keep your back issue revenue coming in, you could limit the free issues to no more than 10% of the back catalog, for example. How big is your back issue business anyway? 1% or less of revenue? Maybe the entire back catalog should be made available online for a flat fee of say $99. I think you can buy the entire back catalog of the New Yorker for a couple of hundred dollars, and that comes out weekly. Perhaps put a one year blackout of the most recent issues for the back catalog library so as to not kill current subscription revenue.

Perhaps you could look at your back issue sales history to determine how many people have ordered over $99 of back issues ever. I suspect it's fewer than 100 total. I am just guessing, and I mean no offense if I'm way off. I only write to offer helpful suggestions to both make a profit for you and to enlarge the number of active bus nuts, which I think will happen with good affordable access to quality information about the hobby.

I think a scan of the really old issues is fine. Look at how well Google has done with scanning old books. Hmmm, maybe they will scan all the magazines of the world once they've finished all the books. So Google may do this for you anyway, so why not beat them to it.

Hope this helps.
silverbusman

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2009, 05:14:50 PM »

a thank you to mike kadletz
 i have been a subscriber to bus conversion mag since 1994, and  i still have every copy of the magazine published since then.
i think that in all that time i may have had three issues really late that  i had to call about.
i have bought parts from mike, bummed free advice, and swapped the odd tale.
i probably never would have built my rig had it not been for mike's magazine
thanks for all the help and ideas over the yaers ,also good luck and smooth going to the new guys,

george kormendy aka "silverbusman"
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2009, 12:38:16 AM »

Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me about getting the BCM in BOTH hard copy and electronic.

I have another similar idea along those lines.  I have all my electronic copies backed up and safe....sure I do. Tongue Roll Eyes  When I start traveling full time for extended periods I will not want to either lug all the mags with me or wait for them to catch up with me as they come out.  Only electronics meets my needs at that time.   Still, I want my cake and eat it too.  Can you "hold" our copies for mailing at a later date.  I think that would be a additional admin burden for you till you get the mailing system sorted out.  I can say that after that it would be a snap cause I don't do the snap'n.

Also....can we have access to the electronics copies that we have purchased in that format?

Also....will you sell us access to back issues in the electronic format?  They go back to 94 or so and I think a lot of people would enjoy looking at the old stuff.  I would pay for that.  I don't know how you are policing the illicit "sharing" of the current electronic version(EV) but if you can do that with current issues you should be able to do it for history.  Easy for me to say....I'm sure.

I guess it would be a way for us to pay as we go.  Most here are so inclined, anyway.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2009, 06:59:02 AM »

A clarification. Several people have contacted me after noticing the new address for Bus Conversions Magazine seemed very familiar to them.  Yes, it is our address. No, I am not a new owner of Bus Conversions Magazine. One of the new owners is staying at our place and I told him he was welcome to use our address.  I just wanted to do whatever I could to help the magazine. 
   As far as getting paid for writing articles, it would be nice, but for a magazine with such a small subscriber base, this may be diffficult. Perhaps, I look at it differently, but I feel my articles, hopefully, help other busnuts and that is enough payment for me. If someone approaches me at a rally or emails me, or calls me for help, I do not expect to be paid, so why should I expect to be paid for helping by writing instead of talking?  Just my thoughts, your opinion may very.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: